Hello there

matt62

Reaction score
I'm from Mullingar in County Westmeath in Ireland.
I had perfect hearing up to 5 years ago when problems started after a head injury in a car crash. My hearing gradually diminished over a period of 2 years and I developed severe tinnitus. I was wearing hearing aids in both ears and my audiologist suggested that I might be suitable for a cochlear implant. I was referred to the CI dept in Beaumont hospital in Dublin and they began assessing me in 2006. At this stage my hearing in my right ear had totally gone and my left was about 20%.

Anyway, after many tests my operation took place on 7/4/09. It was a total success. My speech processor was switched on a month later and, with the enormous help of Jackie, the audiologist and Cathy, the speech therapist I can hear practically every conversation now. I've also started using phones (mobiles and landlines) with a neckloop. I can't decipher music clearly yet but the progress I've made within a month is truly staggering.

:wave: Welcome to AllDeaf! I am fairly new myself. :)

Sorry to hear about your car crash and your injury, but I'm certainly glad all is OK now. :) I have a moderate-severe hearing loss and I just wear bilateral hearing aids. Ireland eh? I'm Canadian. :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf Matt :)

Glad to hear things turned out well for you. Lucky you, Ireland is so beautiful! Someone else new just came from Ireland as well.

Hi, Matt in Ireland. I've always wanted to visit your country. Maybe some day I will! I'm a newbie, too. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

Back