Hello Im an ASL student and i was woundering if I can interview any one.

ASL 102 Student

Reaction score
Hello my name is Kristy and i am a ASL 102 sudent. Right now i attend a community college, i am majoring in Education and hope to become an elemtary school teacher. I am here because i have an assignment to complete, and i have to interview someone of the Deaf community. At first I was am taking ASL 102 to complete my requiremenst to transfer out of the community college, but with the teacher that i have for ASL; i have found ASL is amazing to learn and intresting to learn more about the Deaf community and i would like to continue on learing more about ASL, and to eventually go and teach at a school for the deaf or hard of hearing.

This is my first time interviewing anyone online but if anyone can respond back i would greatly appreciate it. Also the interview would just be a couple of questions.

Thank You For Your Time To Read This

Kristy

Last edited:
Please post your questions right here and some of us will answer. :)

Hi

Thank you so much for replying back to me i appreciate it very much, but im not that good with computers and i dont know how to post the questions but ill do it this way if you dont mind.

And some of my questions are personal and if you do not like to answer any of questions you dont have to.

Thank You Very Much
Kristy

[*]What is your name?

[*]Describe the type of person you are (ex.hobbies, in school, no school, if you have child etc.)

[*]Where are you from?

[*]Is any member of your family deaf?

[*]Where you born deaf?

[*]Do you feel deaf people have the same equal oppurtunities for advancement in the workforce compare to people of hearing?

[*]What does being deaf mean to you?

[*]Do you view deafness as being a disability?

[*]Would you implant your deaf child and if so would you still teach them ASL?

[*]Should all high schools offer ASL as a foregin language?

[*] What do you prefer to use a TTY/ttd, relay operator, videophone or other? Why?

[*]What is your name?
Bottesini

[*]Describe the type of person you are (ex.hobbies, in school, no school, if you have child etc.)
I have two adult children, and two small granddaughters.I like dogs, have two, and I like growing roses.

[*]Where are you from?
Iowa

Myself, my grandparents, my husband is HOH.

[*]Where you born deaf?
Yes

[*]Do you feel deaf people have the same equal oppurtunities for advancement in the workforce compare to people of hearing?
No. I think they have to be twice as smart and work twice as hard.

A step up the evolutionary ladder.

No

No. Yes ASL.

Yes

[*] What do you prefer to use a TTY/ttd, relay operator, videophone or other? Why?
Blackberry is my favorite as I can communicate with almost everyone whether deaf or hearing.

Good luck. :wave:

Thank you so much for replying back to me i appreciate it very much, but im not that good with computers and i dont know how to post the questions but ill do it this way if you dont mind.

And some of my questions are personal and if you do not like to answer any of questions you dont have to.

Thank You Very Much
Kristy

[*]What is your name? Alicia

[*]Describe the type of person you are (ex.hobbies, in school, no school, if you have child etc.)im 20, in post secondary school, I do competitive cheerleading and gymnastics, I also model for fun, I have two part time jobs: at a bank as a teller and Im a bartender

[*]Where are you from?ottawa, ontario, canada

[*]Is any member of your family deaf?somewhere along the line yes

[*]Where you born deaf? no i was born hearing

[*]Do you feel deaf people have the same equal oppurtunities for advancement in the workforce compare to people of hearing?i like to think so most of the time but this isnt the case, so no.

[*]What does being deaf mean to you?not just my hearing status but a great community full of education and new things to learn

[*]Do you view deafness as being a disability?no

[*]Would you implant your deaf child and if so would you still teach them ASL?if the need for an implant arised after hearing aids did not work then yes i would but ASL would still be used

[*]Should all high schools offer ASL as a foregin language?yes i think ASL should be an option in high school

[*] What do you prefer to use a TTY/ttd, relay operator, videophone or other? Why?email is the best but my cell is ok as its pretty loud, i cant use the house phone , a videophone..haven't looked into that but i prolly should

hope that helps:)

Bottesini and Alicia thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. And with ASL being taught in high school i agree with you both that ASL should be taught in all high schools and i also think that all colleges should accept it as transferable credit bc from my point of view i have learned so much from my ASL class and i even got my younger sister wanting to learn more about ASL.

Bottesini how is the weather in Iowa? Because im from Southern California

Alicia are you currently living in Canada? That is so neat.

Thank you both again, for replying back to me and i find it so neat that we are all from diffenet areas and yet we can talk well write to one another and, sorry i just find it so neat that people are able to communcate like this.

Oh and if you would to like to just give me more information about yourself that would be great to because at the moment i cant think of anymore questions

Sorry for mised spell words im running late for work.

Thank you again
Kristy

Bottesini and Alicia thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. And with ASL being taught in high school i agree with you both that ASL should be taught in all high schools and i also think that all colleges should accept it as transferable credit bc from my point of view i have learned so much from my ASL class and i even got my younger sister wanting to learn more about ASL.

Bottesini how is the weather in Iowa? Because im from Southern California

Alicia are you currently living in Canada? That is so neat.

Thank you both again, for replying back to me and i find it so neat that we are all from diffenet areas and yet we can talk well write to one another and, sorry i just find it so neat that people are able to communcate like this.

Sorry for mised spell words im running late for work.

Thank you again
Kristy

The weather today is sunny and in the 60 degree temperature. But Iowa is changeable. Through Monday it is to be sunny. Then more rain and cold is forecast.

[*]What is your name?
Deafteen90
I'm 19, currently in college studying childcare. I complete my course in less than 2 months.
[*]Where are you from? Great Britain
[*]Is any member of your family deaf? No
[*]Where you born deaf? Born hearing, deafened due to ototoxic drugs and prematurity
[*]Do you feel deaf people have the same equal oppurtunities for advancement in the workforce compare to people of hearing? NoI
[*]What does being deaf mean to you? ts a great way of getting to be involved in the deaf community
[*]Do you view deafness as being a disability? Not really
[*]Would you implant your deaf child and if so would you still teach them ASL? Yes to both
[*]Should all high schools offer ASL as a foregin language? Definately, all forms of sign language should be used in all Schools
Email or text. More conveniant

[*]What is your name? FaithLee
[*]Describe the type of person you are (ex.hobbies, in school, no school, if you have child etc.) im an outdoor activities instructor at a special needs centre. no children
[*]Where are you from? UK
[*]Is any member of your family deaf? nope just me
[*]Where you born deaf? no born hearing, deaf as a result of a head injury
[*]Do you feel deaf people have the same equal oppurtunities for advancement in the workforce compare to people of hearing? not really
[*]What does being deaf mean to you? used to mean life was hard but getting used to it all now and its what makes me who i am now
[*]Do you view deafness as being a disability? no definately not
[*]Would you implant your deaf child and if so would you still teach them ASL? yes to SL implanting would depend on the situation but probably yes
[*]Should all high schools offer ASL as a foregin language? more people would benefit from learning sign language so yes i think in schools would be ideal
[*] What do you prefer to use a TTY/ttd, relay operator, videophone or other? Why? have used a videophone but didnt really like it. use emails a lot of the time or texting

Thank You Very Much
Kristy

[*]What is your name?
Shel90

I am a married woman with 2 kids. Very athletic although my old injuries keep flaring up!

[*]Where are you from?
Arizona

Yes, my brother

[*]Where you born deaf?
Yes

Nope

Used to suck but since learning ASL, it is my way of living.

Not anymore.

I would not implant my child. Yes, I will teach them ASL..my hearing 3 year old son is fluent in both ASL and spoken English.

Yes.

VP cuz I love to use ASL ..I feel more connected.

Thank you everyone for answering the questions that i have asked it is all very helpful

Thanks again
Kristy

[*]What is your name? Jacob
I am a geek obviously, but am a University student studying Business Informatics (Bachelor Degree) also a PC techican.

[*]Where are you from? Canberra, Australia
[*]Is any member of your family deaf? Nah, only myself
[*]Where you born deaf? Yes, due to rubella at 6 weeks preg
[*]Do you feel deaf people have the same equal oppurtunities for advancement in the workforce compare to people of hearing? Unfortunately, no
Being deaf can still give you better opportunities if you broaden your mind but not to limit despite your deafness.
[*]Do you view deafness as being a disability? No
If my child was deaf, if it was for the best of the child, I don't know but right now, no.
[*]Should all high schools offer ASL as a foregin language? Yes
Down here, we only have TTY, internet IP relay, and NRS (relay operator) -- our newly set up VRS is just being in trial right now.

Back