Hello From Mississippi

namcintosh25

Reaction score
First and foremost, giving honor to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. :)
(Now on with the intro).

My name is Nadia Ann McIntosh (most people call me Naya or Nadia), and I am 25 years old. I currently reside in Greenwood, Mississippi and work at a unversity, where I am a secretary. I love my job because I love helping others.

I was born with a hearing impairment; my mom had one as well, which is why I'm thinking my hearing problem is heredity or genetics; all of my other siblings have super, super hearing. I remember as a little child noticing that I always had to sit at the front of the class because for some reason, my ears were "broken." I endured so much teasing (kids can be so cruel) throughout my middle and my high school years. They used to call me deaf and dumb. I remember coming home crying and wishing I could fall in some dark hole and die. I wanted to be different, but I hated being different like this. I used to question God so much, you'd think He was on Jeopardy! But, by the grace of God, I endured. I was an honor student throughout my entire academic year, graduating with honors in high school, valedictorian at my community college, magna cum laude at my university (which is the same university that I'm currently employed). I was also on the National Dean's list at every college I attended and was a Who's Who student at my high school AND colleges. :giggle: Momma always told me I had a fighting spirit; they said I was deaf and dumb, I proved to them I was hearing impaired and SMART. :laugh2::cool2::laugh2:

My hearing loss is classified as moderately severe. I have a 65% loss in my right ear and a 45% hearing loss in my left ear. I didn't receive my hearing aids until I was in my last semester of my senior year in high school. I am currently wearing them; I think they're the best invention that God has allowed man to create. :) It's frustrating for me when I don't have them (sometimes it's frustrating for me when I do). Currently, I am having some technical difficulties, and I broke down at work my first day without them. My coworkers thankfully calmed me down and helped me a LOT. They have good hearing, but they are very nice people and they understood (not completely understood, but the emphathized with me) and worked with me. I'm going to have a talk with my supervisor though; it seems that he needs to have a lesson in deaf and hard of hearing ettiquette.

I'm set out to prove that deaf DOES NOT equal to stupid. It makes me furious when people say that. I have plenty of book and common sense, and people who try to talk down to me because of my problem gets a little taste of it. :) I hope that one day that phrase is completely erased.

Personal life: I'm currently single, have no pets, and no kids. But, I can sing a little bit (that's what people tell me who hears me sing; I can't hear it sometimes, so I take their word for it LOL), I love my church, and I love listening to music (Old School R&B, classical, and jazz) and learning new things. I also like challenging myself. If someone tell me that I can't do something, I don't say anything; I just prove that I can. :D I'm also an avid cat lover (I love tigers), and I love sweets (my hips are evidence of that). :giggle: I also love helping others.

Welcome, but for the phrase "deaf and dumb", dumb only means mute or nonspeaking. It has nothing at all to do with being stupid.

Quote from namcintosh25
I'm set out to prove that deaf DOES NOT equal to stupid. It makes me furious when people say that. I have plenty of book and common sense, and people who try to talk down to me because of my problem gets a little taste of it. :) I hope that one day that phrase is completely erased.

Welcome, but for the phrase "deaf and dumb", dumb only means mute or nonspeaking. It has nothing at all to do with being stupid.

Quote from namcintosh25
Yes, I do know that. :) However, when the students teased me, they used the phrase as "stupid." I know that some may see deaf or HOH people as being these mutes who don't have any feelings. I'm a very talkative HOH person; ask any of my closest friends and they'll tell you.

Yes, I do know that. :) However, when the students teased me, they used the phrase as "stupid." I know that some may see deaf or HOH people as being these mutes who don't have any feelings. I'm a very talkative HOH person; ask any of my closest friends and they'll tell you.
Good that you are educated. I am a rather silent deaf person.

Is that little sign you made sticking out your tongue at me?

Good that you are educated. I am a rather silent deaf person.

Is that little sign you made sticking out your tongue at me?
LOL. No. :)

On the other note (on being a silent deaf person), sometimes because of my personality, people forget I'm hard of hearing, and I have to remind them sometimes. I crack jokes (I mean I cracks them too LOL), and I talk a lottttt! I love talking, and I try to tell others what I'm going through, not so that they can feel sorry for me, but so that they can understand the world that I'm in and how to treat people who have my same problem. Currently, I am the only HOH person who is at my university. Imagine that. The only HOH girl in a university of over 5000 individuals!

LOL. No. :)

On the other note (on being a silent deaf person), sometimes because of my personality, people forget I'm hard of hearing, and I have to remind them sometimes. I crack jokes (I mean I cracks them too LOL), and I talk a lottttt! I love talking, and I try to tell others what I'm going through, not so that they can feel sorry for me, but so that they can understand the world that I'm in and how to treat people who have my same problem. Currently, I am the only HOH person who is at my university. Imagine that. The only HOH girl in a university of over 5000 individuals!

I already asked my daughter and found out it is one way of writing a smile. :)

That is unusual about being the only HOH in 5000. Statistically I think there should be a minimum of 5-10.

Hello

Hi Nadia

I just joined too. Sounds like we have a similar hearing loss as I am moderately severe also.

Hi Nadia, hope you are making lots of new friends here.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Sorry to be late coming here. I do hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

my ex-boyfriend also lives in Wiggins,Miss but its small city but im no longer dating with him but he and me been friends current

Back