hello from indianapolis indiana

footballnutt

Reaction score
hey yall i'm new to this site i'm not deaf but my parents were born deaf and i was researching what steps i needed to take to become a interpreter and came across this site its a real cool site wish my parents woulda had some kind of forum like this to chat with ppl with

You will really like it here. The people are very helpful and friendly.

ty all , i have been reading through some of the threads and have found it to be really helpful.as far as the interpreter having to relay everything that is heard ...i was at my moms house and saw a tdd message from when i had called and read where the relay person had typed (sound of gum chewing)......and (dog barking).......dont yall think thats a lil excessive???

ty all , i have been reading through some of the threads and have found it to be really helpful.as far as the interpreter having to relay everything that is heard ...i was at my moms house and saw a tdd message from when i had called and read where the relay person had typed (sound of gum chewing)......and (dog barking).......dont yall think thats a lil excessive???

First of all, I'd like to say Welcome to AllDeaf! :)

Personally, I do not find it to be excessive when a relay operator types out the background noises on the TDD. The purpose of it is to have an equal access for a deaf person to know what is going on in the background. Let's think of it this way - A hearing person can hear what is going on in the background on the phone that is coming from the other end. Do you think it'd be fair enough for a deaf person not to know what is going on in the background?

not somuch as it being unfair i just found it to be confusing to my mother

I understand that. Some of the relay operator would not type out the background noises and only include the conversation whereas some of the operators includes everything. So, to a degree it can be somewhat confusing. I, for one, didn't find it confusing. So, yeah it varies to each person.

yea i guess it would.......my mom tho would ask me why i said chewing gum and the relay person would say that to me and then it'd be a whole big snowball ..lol

yea i guess it would.......my mom tho would ask me why i said chewing gum and the relay person would say that to me and then it'd be a whole big snowball ..lol

:lol:

I can imagine how confusing it is! Normally, An operator would type (background noise dog barking) (baby crying), etc so and on. Have you tried explaining to your mom that it is the background noise the operator is relaying at? Perhaps it will help her understand what's going on?

yes i have explained when i get there and see the older message but when we are on the phone again at a later date talking it just happens again and the snowball rolls again.........lol......gets aggravating on my end because i try to ask the interpreter not to relay everything and then there she goes relaying that so i do feel that sometimes its aggrivating

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Well, your mother have to get use to the background noises to let her know what is going on in the background. As for you as a CODA (Children of Deaf Adults), you will have to get use to telling her that it is all background noises. I get them sometimes when the relay operator hears something making the funny noises and just relay what the noises is like to the relay operator while relaying the messages to me. You can not prevent the relay operator not to do the background noises. Both of you have to get use to them. Anyway I hope you and your parents (try to get your parents come to the AllDeaf forum) to chat and experiences with us about our deafness. Just have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

Hi and :welcome: to AD! Hope you will enjoy this fun site. :)

Welcome to AD and I hope you enjoy the stay with us and happy posting away! :)

Back