Hello from Detroit :)

beautyartist

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First I'd like to start by saying that I've been taking the time to read many of the threads in this forum (ie- lurking lol!) for quite some time now, and have finally decided I should step outside of my box and introduce myself.

A little bit about me:

My name is Andrea, I am 25 years old and live in the Metro Detroit area. I am hearing, but my sister was born with sensorineural hearing loss in both ears and has bilateral cochlear implants. She is 12 years old and currently in an oral IEP program (self contained classroom with other cochlear children, not inclusion). Up until recently she was receiving very little exposure to ASL. After 8+ years of pressuring my family, I am finally proud to say that I've encouraged a few members of my family to take steps into incorporating ASL into our lives as a second language. I know it is going to be a long road ahead, but I am excited to learn more about your culture as a whole, learn ASL, hopefully find a way to transition my sister out of a system that I feel is not benefiting her (and isolating her), and watch how hers and my families world grow in the process.

Apart from the million curiosities I have about the Deaf community in general, I am very interested in hopefully gaining a well rounded view from the Deaf community on things that effect my sister such as educational choices, social experiences and viewpoints, as well advice on how to respectfully approach and eventually become a part of the Deaf community. It's my hope that by reaching out and getting to know and become friends with people, that I will have a much firmer grasp of how to help my family approach my sister's future and the things that will effect her future happiness.

I'll post my sister's educational story too (I need lots of input on this one... tough road we've been down), however I thought it would be best for me to start by introducing myself here first.

Thanks!

Last edited:
oh wow....so hopefully this may signal a change in her educational placement? Encourage it at ALL costs.
If she's in a self contained oral classroom at 12, she needs ASL in her program ASAP. The trouble with oral only is that it assumes that it's the only tool that a dhh kid needs.
It also is usually only available up to elementary level. The goal is mainstream them as much as possible! But the experts who push oral only and mainstreaming/inclusion do not understand the downsides of it...it is hell....we had a mother of an oral deaf kid whose kid was doing OK in elementary. Then the girl found out about Deaf school, and wanted to learn ASL etc.....BEST THING in the UNIVERSE for her!

Wow, thanks for such quick replies!! It is my sincere hope that I will be able to encourage my mother to make an educational change soon. After years of voicing my criticisms over the approach that has been taken with my sister, my family is finally starting to take me seriously and allowing me to become more more actively involved in decisions involving her. I still need to take baby-steps, because I am attempting to move my mother (and family) away from a VERY pro-audist mentality that was given to her by doctors and teachers who've given her extremely one-sided guidance. She has become more and more receptive to me though, and recently admitted to me that she thinks perhaps she should have been listening to my advice from the beginning.

I probably should elaborate a little bit more on the scenario though because our situation is sort of a complex one, and I am up against a few different barriers if I'm going to succeed at doing what in mine and my other sister's (hearing sophomore at U of M) eyes think is the best thing for her. Here is my story:

My sister was born in 2000 and went undiagnosed as being deaf until the age of 2. After being diagnosed I just remember my whole family being in a total state of shock... almost like someone who just found out they were terminally ill.. first it was denial and anger (what? no, it couldn't be.. why us? why her?), then it transitioned into "what can we do to fix her", "how can we make her 'normal?". The doctors that she was seeing immediately encouraged my mom to take the cochlear implant route, especially since my family did not have any ties to the deaf community and convinced my mom it was a 'cure all miracle' (well at least that's how my mom acted). I remember being initially skeptical. I kept thinking "Well what if the surgery doesn't work or what if we find out later it wasn't the right choice?.. Shouldn't we look at other options or consider sign language?". Being that I was only about 15 or 16 at the time my opinion didn't seem to matter very much, and my mother convinced that it was the only route to go- decided to go with the doctors recommendation. My sister was implanted at the age of 3 with a Freedom Nucleus, and shortly after it was fully activated began going to a pre-school oral program.

After she was given the surgery I started thinking a lot more about how long it would take for her to develop verbal and comprehension language skills. After months of seeing her still not be able to communicate very basic things (hungry, sad, happy, mom, dad etc.) I started to again push the idea of incorporating sign language to my family. I figured at the least if she is going to be mainstreamed, she should still have an ability to communicate with sign until she has the means to orally. Well as logical as that idea should seem to most people, my family didn't think it was the right thing to do because the doctors had told them that if they start signing to her that it will delay her language skills and she will naturally prefer to continue signing because it is 'easier'. Looking back, my families blind faith in what one set of doctors encourages them to do really pisses me off and makes me sad.. but at the time it started to seem like a losing battle I wasn't capable of winning.. so at that point I had to drop the subject, cross my fingers, and hope that they all were right.

In the timeframe between then and now, my sister has been moved around to various schools for a ton of different reasons. In the beginning (grade 1-3) it was because each of the schools (that have experience with cochlear implant children) in the county my mom lives had different IEP programs with slightly different approaches, and when one wasn't working she was moved to another. My mother also briefly moved out of state to live in Kentucky and be near my grandmother and was placed in a school with all hearing kids (she was the ONLY deaf kid). The only positive thing that came out of the move down there was that the state of Kentucky funded my sister to have her second cochlear implanted (age 8), which did ultimately make quite a bit improvement. As far as the school she was going to... I can only imagine how out of place she must have felt :/

Finally in the 4th grade she was placed in the program she is in now, and is currently in 5th grade (I guess if you call it that by iep standards). As far as oral programs go she is now in the best she could possibly be in.. the middle school is rated 5th in the entire state, and their IEP for cochlear children is the highest rated pretty much overall. But even still with this being the case- her latest IEP meeting and testing with the speech pathologist at U of M have become very concerning.

At her last IEP meeting we were told that they believe her to have a "cognitive delay", and her IQ was tested at being 84 (roughly 10 points above mental retardation, and placed in the "bellow average" category). They also expressed many concerns with her verbal comprehension, attention capacity, maturity, and social skills (she's very friendly and outgoing- but doesn't understand normal social "graces").

After comparing the schools testing with also the doctor's testing she is performing at roughly a 5.5 year olds level with her spoken vocabulary, and between 3-6 years old for her comprehension (in various areas).

While I won't dispute that I think there could be a moderate cognitive delay, I do think however that she could most definitely be performing higher in those areas if she were given better tools to understand and communicate. I've also read numerous studies that have suggested that if she really IS cognitively delayed that relying on solely oral does not typically work well with deaf children (especially cochlear implant). We've scheduled appointments for further neurological testing to confirm any disability (and find out to what extent) she has.. and should hopefully know in April.

Throughout finding all this out (the reality of her scores, IQ, possible delay etc.) my mom has started to come around into thinking that perhaps she could have "done things differently" or "should have considered sign language" etc. While I'll admit it really irks me that she just NOW is feeling this way, at the end of the day I need to work with what I can to encourage her to make the right decisions from this point forward. I can't say that I forgive her quite yet for many of the misguided decisions she's made, but as long as she is willing to start consider options that make sense for my sister and not just what is easiest for my family, then hopefully I'll eventually be able to move past it for the sake of my sister.

Interested to hear your thoughts.. lots more to add (so many other concerns, ideas, etc.), but would love to hear your feedback first. Thanks!

Last edited:
At her last IEP meeting we were told that they believe her to have a "cognitive delay", and her IQ was tested at being 84 (roughly 10 points above mental retardation, and placed in the "bellow average" category). They also expressed many concerns with her verbal comprehension, attention capacity, maturity, and social skills (she's very friendly and outgoing- but doesn't understand normal social "graces").

After comparing the schools testing with also the doctor's testing she is performing at roughly a 5.5 year olds level with her spoken vocabulary, and between 3-6 years old for her comprehension (in various areas).

While I won't dispute that I think there could be a moderate cognitive delay, I do think however that she could most definitely be performing higher in those areas if she were given better tools to understand and communicate. I've also read numerous studies that have suggested that if she really IS cognitively delayed that relying on solely oral does not typically work well with deaf children (especially cochlear implant). We've scheduled appointments for further neurological testing to confirm any disability (and find out to what extent) she has.. and should hopefully know in April.
I agree 100% with you! I alerted a couple of our resident TODs to this post, and they will hopefully be here soon!
Has she ever been evaluated by someone from Michigan School for the Deaf? I seriously wonder if she got ASL if she could REALLY take off academicly. Yes, she has basic spoken language abilties...ie this isn't like in the 60's when an oral sucess had maybe a handful of spoken words.
Also, the thing is......she's basicly severely learning disabled in her functioning. She will not currently be able to REALLY thrive orally. It's time to stop thinking that an oral program is the answer.....it's now BEYOND time to add ASL!!!! She will REALLY thrive with it, and it's possible that with the addition of it, she is actually a lot smarter then anyone could ever THINK!!! I know that there are very few, if any oral programs beyond middle school. she is NOT going to be able to survive middle and high school with the tools she has now. ADD ASL ASP!!! You know....she is now old enough to go to camp and live at school...I don't know if it's too late for her to transfer to MSD or to a program that uses ASL....Actually, what I would do would be to find a local program that uses ASL, so she can be taught it....check out DDSD (although I thought that Detriot Day School has mostly mentally handicapped kids) and MSD and see what your options are.....Maybe she might end up living in the dorms and really thrive!

I couldn't agree with you more!!! I really feel that by her staying in the program she is in now that she will ultimately only live up to a fraction of her potential. I haven't had anyone from MSD evaluate her (yet), but that is largely due to the fact that I am just now really starting to make some progress with my mother and transitioning her thinking. I am not familiar with MSD or know very much about them, but from first glance it seems like it could be a MUCH better option for her.

As far as her living in the dorms, I already know that my mom will NOT go for that and will prefer her at home. BUT here is the nice thing.. my mom only lives about a 35-40 minute drive directly south from MSD, which is about the same distance my sister is from the oral program she is in (except the school is 45 mins east). My sister is already being bussed in to her other school, so as long as MSD offered busses that traveled out of the Flint district like the school she is currently in then it wouldn't really be a big difference then what she is doing now (transportation/distance wise).

My biggest obstacle I will have convincing my mom of making a change like this is that she is under the impression that if my sister is immersed into a program with a strong focus on ASL that my sister will either regress verbally OR at the least not continue to grow (going back to the original mentality that was presented her when my sister was a child that they will revert to ASL because it is "easier"). Personally I think that even IF that were the case, she still would be better off. I also think she is under the impression that the deaf schools do not offer as strong of an academic program as the oral schools (ie- they make it "easy" for the kids), and that they push the students to remain within the deaf community vs. preparing them fully to live/work in the hearing "world". Again, I personally don't believe this, I think from what I can tell from talking to various people and my own research that this is an extremely archaic mindset. However, I also do not view it as the end of the world AT ALL if she did ultimately choose to predominantly associate or work within the deaf community. If anything I think that this could ultimately be what is best for her if she does not have the capability to fully advance orally enough to "keep up" in the "hearing world". I also view it as HER choice what she wants to do, and we should give her the option, vs. withholding that from her. Plus, I think it is naive for any of us to speculate on what the future holds, and focus more on what will help her at this very moment.

Unfortunately the oral teachers (and her doctors) have quite a bit of "control" over my mom's thinking still. I already know without a shadow of a doubt any attempt on my part to encourage a move to a deaf school will be met with strong opposition from all ends, and this could play a big role in my mom's decision making. She's going to look at it like "Well they ARE the experts- right?". I'm in a mindset at the moment that "NO THEY ARE NOT THE DAMN EXPERTS".. which is fairly clear from how everything has played out. I feel like they are learning more from HER than what she is learning from them.. as if she is some research project on how students in her position advance academically (oral only cochlear children). As you can see they all piss me off constantly!!!!

In her last IEP meeting I was only further convinced of this. I sat in a meeting for 2 hours with a group of about 5 people. My sister's classroom teacher, the school audiologist/speech pathologist, school consoler, the district IEP person (who oversees the programs), and my mom.

During the meeting they continually brought up concerns regarding my sister's speech comprehension, and lack of ability to follow the curriculum and advance at the rate they had originally planned for. Their goal is to by 8th grade come up with a plan to push her into a vocational trade they can structure her HS years for. They also cited numerous times that they felt her IQ testing illustrated she would always perform at a "below average" level and that she would likely* always remain within her IEP program (meaning she'll never be completely mainstreamed into a classroom with non-IEP kids apart from perhaps classes like PE, Art, etc.).

So in a nutshell they were underlyingly saying.. "Look your kid is handicapped, she'll never be a rocket scientist, you need to help us plan out her school years to find a 'trade' she is capable of". So I get the sense they are planning on starting to view her (if not already) as more of a "cognitive disability" kid then a hearing impaired child. The irony I find so discouraging is that for years I've been hearing that a deaf school would not "push" her as much or make things "too easy", yet now I'm beginning to think THEY are the ones who will be doing that not a deaf school.

During this meeting I also brought up the subject of introducing ASL to her, and I was IMMEDIATELY shot down. While they didn't deny that it might be a good "tool" to help her fill in some "gaps" here and there while communicating with her- they basically said "If you want to do that, it's on your own time at home because we are an oral program". The only person I could tell that actually was receptive to the idea was her actual teacher (who is a sweetheart and I like a lot), but I got the impression her hands were tied. She did however email me information about sign language classes afterwards (probably without the knowledge of the school), which I've taken as a sign that she agrees with me but she just cant say it outright.

So this leads me to the current predicament I am in. I think it is VERY clear at this point that ASL needs to be introduced to her. My mom has become receptive to this (and now attends a weekly beginner ASL class), but I don't think this is going to be enough even if my mom manages to become semi-fluent eventually (which I have a hard time thinking is possible given she is not immersed in it enough to become fluent). So if my sister is not receiving any instruction at school, and is only "learning" from some basic classes and practicing at home with my mom.. I don't see it making a huge impact on her. I think the only way to really see if it will make a big difference is by immersing her in it by putting her in a program that she can use it frequently (and as a true learning tool during class instruction). What are your thoughts on this, do you agree?

My other concern is that my sister is not advancing socially whatsoever. She has some friends at school, but I think really only the kids in her class (who are all at varying degrees of oral comprehension themselves), and the rest of the school (mainstream hearing kids) VERY likely just look at her as one of the "handicapped kids". I already know she is being bullied a little bit, but thankfully my sister is very assertive and does standup for herself. But as most of you I would imagine know, that there is only so much "fighting" back you can do in those scenarios when you are outnumbered 100/1. Even if bullying doesn't become a real issue, she still is being isolated to a small classroom and doesn't have the ability to interact with many other students frequently, or join any sports/activities. Her PE teacher claims "She does not have a clear enough understanding of the rules of the sports to play without holding the other children back".

This naturally concerns me A LOT and I feel that not enough importance is being placed on how this can negatively effect her. She is still very immature and naive in so many ways, and she is also very trusting of people (which is a concern on it's own). She'll meet someone who is "nice" to her and assume they are her new "best friend". She is also starting to gain a curiosity of boys, and I could see her being taken advantage of very easily as well!!

Anyway.. so in a nutshell that is what I am dealing with... any advice on how to come up with a plan to convince my mom (or at least have her LOOK at other options) would be very appreciated. I need to show her it's the best thing for her, while also convincing her that my sister will still be able to grow orally and not be limited to just the Deaf community (her biggest concern). Thankfully I have my other sister onboard.. but so far it's me and her against an entire school, my mom, and the rest of my family (who is very pro-audist as well).

Thanks a million! Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!!!

welcome to AD, I'm a deaf sister and I was kinda born with bilateral sensorineural hearing loss!

I couldn't agree with you more!!! I really feel that by her staying in the program she is in now that she will ultimately only live up to a fraction of her potential. I haven't had anyone from MSD evaluate her (yet), but that is largely due to the fact that I am just now really starting to make some progress with my mother and transitioning her thinking. I am not familiar with MSD or know very much about them, but from first glance it seems like it could be a MUCH better option for her.

As far as her living in the dorms, I already know that my mom will NOT go for that and will prefer her at home. BUT here is the nice thing.. my mom only lives about a 35-40 minute drive directly south from MSD, which is about the same distance my sister is from the oral program she is in (except the school is 45 mins east). My sister is already being bussed in to her other school, so as long as MSD offered busses that traveled out of the Flint district like the school she is currently in then it wouldn't really be a big difference then what she is doing now (transportation/distance wise).

My biggest obstacle I will have convincing my mom of making a change like this is that she is under the impression that if my sister is immersed into a program with a strong focus on ASL that my sister will either regress verbally OR at the least not continue to grow (going back to the original mentality that was presented her when my sister was a child that they will revert to ASL because it is "easier"). Personally I think that even IF that were the case, she still would be better off. I also think she is under the impression that the deaf schools do not offer as strong of an academic program as the oral schools (ie- they make it "easy" for the kids), and that they push the students to remain within the deaf community vs. preparing them fully to live/work in the hearing "world". Again, I personally don't believe this, I think from what I can tell from talking to various people and my own research that this is an extremely archaic mindset. However, I also do not view it as the end of the world AT ALL if she did ultimately choose to predominantly associate or work within the deaf community. If anything I think that this could ultimately be what is best for her if she does not have the capability to fully advance orally enough to "keep up" in the "hearing world". I also view it as HER choice what she wants to do, and we should give her the option, vs. withholding that from her. Plus, I think it is naive for any of us to speculate on what the future holds, and focus more on what will help her at this very moment.

Unfortunately the oral teachers (and her doctors) have quite a bit of "control" over my mom's thinking still. I already know without a shadow of a doubt any attempt on my part to encourage a move to a deaf school will be met with strong opposition from all ends, and this could play a big role in my mom's decision making. She's going to look at it like "Well they ARE the experts- right?". I'm in a mindset at the moment that "NO THEY ARE NOT THE DAMN EXPERTS".. which is fairly clear from how everything has played out. I feel like they are learning more from HER than what she is learning from them.. as if she is some research project on how students in her position advance academically (oral only cochlear children). As you can see they all piss me off constantly!!!!

In her last IEP meeting I was only further convinced of this. I sat in a meeting for 2 hours with a group of about 5 people. My sister's classroom teacher, the school audiologist/speech pathologist, school consoler, the district IEP person (who oversees the programs), and my mom.

During the meeting they continually brought up concerns regarding my sister's speech comprehension, and lack of ability to follow the curriculum and advance at the rate they had originally planned for. Their goal is to by 8th grade come up with a plan to push her into a vocational trade they can structure her HS years for. They also cited numerous times that they felt her IQ testing illustrated she would always perform at a "below average" level and that she would likely* always remain within her IEP program (meaning she'll never be completely mainstreamed into a classroom with non-IEP kids apart from perhaps classes like PE, Art, etc.).

So in a nutshell they were underlyingly saying.. "Look your kid is handicapped, she'll never be a rocket scientist, you need to help us plan out her school years to find a 'trade' she is capable of". So I get the sense they are planning on starting to view her (if not already) as more of a "cognitive disability" kid then a hearing impaired child. The irony I find so discouraging is that for years I've been hearing that a deaf school would not "push" her as much or make things "too easy", yet now I'm beginning to think THEY are the ones who will be doing that not a deaf school.

During this meeting I also brought up the subject of introducing ASL to her, and I was IMMEDIATELY shot down. While they didn't deny that it might be a good "tool" to help her fill in some "gaps" here and there while communicating with her- they basically said "If you want to do that, it's on your own time at home because we are an oral program". The only person I could tell that actually was receptive to the idea was her actual teacher (who is a sweetheart and I like a lot), but I got the impression her hands were tied. She did however email me information about sign language classes afterwards (probably without the knowledge of the school), which I've taken as a sign that she agrees with me but she just cant say it outright.

So this leads me to the current predicament I am in. I think it is VERY clear at this point that ASL needs to be introduced to her. My mom has become receptive to this (and now attends a weekly beginner ASL class), but I don't think this is going to be enough even if my mom manages to become semi-fluent eventually (which I have a hard time thinking is possible given she is not immersed in it enough to become fluent). So if my sister is not receiving any instruction at school, and is only "learning" from some basic classes and practicing at home with my mom.. I don't see it making a huge impact on her. I think the only way to really see if it will make a big difference is by immersing her in it by putting her in a program that she can use it frequently (and as a true learning tool during class instruction). What are your thoughts on this, do you agree?

My other concern is that my sister is not advancing socially whatsoever. She has some friends at school, but I think really only the kids in her class (who are all at varying degrees of oral comprehension themselves), and the rest of the school (mainstream hearing kids) VERY likely just look at her as one of the "handicapped kids". I already know she is being bullied a little bit, but thankfully my sister is very assertive and does standup for herself. But as most of you I would imagine know, that there is only so much "fighting" back you can do in those scenarios when you are outnumbered 100/1. Even if bullying doesn't become a real issue, she still is being isolated to a small classroom and doesn't have the ability to interact with many other students frequently, or join any sports/activities. Her PE teacher claims "She does not have a clear enough understanding of the rules of the sports to play without holding the other children back".

This naturally concerns me A LOT and I feel that not enough importance is being placed on how this can negatively effect her. She is still very immature and naive in so many ways, and she is also very trusting of people (which is a concern on it's own). She'll meet someone who is "nice" to her and assume they are her new "best friend". She is also starting to gain a curiosity of boys, and I could see her being taken advantage of very easily as well!!

Anyway.. so in a nutshell that is what I am dealing with... any advice on how to come up with a plan to convince my mom (or at least have her LOOK at other options) would be very appreciated. I need to show her it's the best thing for her, while also convincing her that my sister will still be able to grow orally and not be limited to just the Deaf community (her biggest concern). Thankfully I have my other sister onboard.. but so far it's me and her against an entire school, my mom, and the rest of my family (who is very pro-audist as well).

Thanks a million! Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!!!

Wow, this is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG post. Maybe contact someone from MSD and see if they could talk to your mom. Oftentimes parents of oral kids are REALLY misinformed as to what the Deaf-world and deaf schools are like.
First of all, as long as she's got a solid oral foundation, she will continue to progress with her spoken language. Almost all deaf schools offer speech therapy...she'll progress and continue...She'll just have the addition of ASL TOO!!!!! And trust me she will be challenged and taught new things.....
Granted she won't end up at Harvard.....but on the other hand, point out that she's stuck in a rut right now and not thriving. I wonder too.....could your mom look into a Deaf Camp? That is a way your sister could learn ASL! A lot of the kids in those programs attend deaf schools/programs....so maybe...
I think your mom would be AMAZED if she placed your sister in an ASL program.......Sigh time and time again we hear the same things.
And you're right to be concerned about the social aspects of things......omg that is an area that is SO brushed under the rug for even AG Bell superstars.

Their goal is to by 8th grade come up with a plan to push her into a vocational trade they can structure her HS years for. They also cited numerous times that they felt her IQ testing illustrated she would always perform at a "below average" level and that she would likely* always remain within her IEP program (meaning she'll never be completely mainstreamed into a classroom with non-IEP kids apart from perhaps classes like PE, Art, etc.).
Point out to your mom that there's generally no formal oral programs at the middle/high school level. The be all and end all of oralism seems to educate kids so they can be mainstreamed in middle/high school....in other words the Clarke model. In that case your sister will most likely be placed in one of those general disabilty programs, where they would know NOTHING of dhh issues.In other words, she would be lumped in with mentally handicapped kids. (and real mentally handicapped kids, not just severe ld./ ld like functioning b/c of educational neglect) The thing is....these kids are mentally low functioning. She would just fall through the cracks....she needs Deaf/ASL programming. I think Michigan school for the deaf offers vocational trades, if I'm correct....The deaf ed system is very experianced with dhh mild multihandicapped kids.....

i have to admit i didnt read the post's past your first, but i can say you should try to get her involved with other deaf/hard of hearing people her age so it feels more natural when she gets older. Societies stigmas and what not. Im 20 myself and i have not had any contact with any other deaf people (other then on this site but that doesnt count) which causes me to feel isolated at times. So yeah my point is have her be active in the deaf community it is for her best interest

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

One of the first things I would do is look into and find an after school or weekend 'drop in and play' type program for Hoh and Deaf children that uses both speech and ASL.

You could even ask if you could volunteer there as well :)

This will be the best environment not only for her to start learning ASL naturally, but also help work on her social skills, so it's a win-win situation.

The other thing I'd look into for yourself is taking an ASL class or looking into a summer immersion program you can take (funding is often available for families with Hoh/d/Deaf children). As you start learning signs, make it a game between you and your sister to learn together.

Last edited:
My sister was born with mild to moderate hearing loss which progressively worsened over the years. She is now severely to profoundly deaf. Growing up, she was given hearing aids and some speech therapy; no ASL. She had to needlessly struggle to learn language but managed to learn how to speak perfectly. Unfortunately, this hurts her; now, everyone hears how well she speaks, so they assume that she also hears well, but she can't hear anything! No matter how many times she tells people she cannot hear, they will not give her any help. So she is still isolated from the hearing world. And because of her isolation from the deaf community and ASL, she is now struggling to integrate into the deaf world.

Tell all of those 'experts' not to limit your sister's choices, but to expand them, allowing her to become a part of both worlds, if possible.

From reading all this post you made, haven't you thought about YOU taking ASL classes? Then you can show your sister with wealth of languages with your hands. You can teach her regardless what what your mom trying to do.

From reading all this post you made, haven't you thought about YOU taking ASL classes? Then you can show your sister with wealth of languages with your hands. You can teach her regardless what what your mom trying to do.

Edit: I just missed that post above of what Anij said... That what I would do, since you gonna need it anyway if your sister decided to learn ASL, and let your parents see how well your sister improved. There's nothing wrong about having bi-lingual communication.

i have to admit i didnt read the post's past your first, but i can say you should try to get her involved with other deaf/hard of hearing people her age so it feels more natural when she gets older. Societies stigmas and what not. Im 20 myself and i have not had any contact with any other deaf people (other then on this site but that doesnt count) which causes me to feel isolated at times. So yeah my point is have her be active in the deaf community it is for her best interest

Very luckily her sister already knows other dhh kids....she's in a self contained oral program.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

One of the first things I would do is look into and find an after school or weekend 'drop in and play' type program for Hoh and Deaf children that uses both speech and ASL.

You could even ask if you could volunteer there as well :)

This will be the best environment not only for her to start learning ASL naturally, but also help work on her social skills, so it's a win-win situation.

The other thing I'd look into for yourself is taking an ASL class or looking into a summer immersion program you can take (funding is often available for families with Hoh/d/Deaf children). As you start learning signs, make it a game between you and your sister to learn together.

Or a summer camp for ASL users. The thing is, it's getting a hell of a lot more common for kids who use sign to also speak. Voice off kids are going to be VERY RARE in the next few years.
In fact I think we've had quite a few people note that a lot of dhh kids are VERY oral now....not oral only, but they sign AND have pretty good oral skills.....

Thanks for all the replies guys! I really appreciate all the feedback! Sorry for the late reply, I'm currently on a work trip to San Diego so I just now got a chance to reply back.

I definitely agree about getting her more involved in activities with other dhh children, I think it would be great for her socially. Unfortunately until she has a stronger grasp of ASL I think she'll have a hard time communicating with them. I love the idea of a summer camp program, and the Michigan School for the Deaf offers one each year! So I think that may be a good first step in not only introducing her to other dhh students, but also helping to teach her ASL and getting to know the people who run MSD.

I've been playing "phone-tag" with the MSD people, who I called the other day to find out more about their program/enrollment procedures. Hopefully I am able to speak to someone soon and find out more about their programs.

@Sneakernet- I am currently taking ASL classes as well (the same class my mom is taking). So far it is going well, but I can already tell it is going to become hard to become even remotely fluent without more exposure to the deaf community to speak it with. I'm hoping that I can get the ball rolling with enrolling my sister in more dhh programs (such as what MSD offers), and then eventually become more involved myself.

I'll keep you guys posted.. it's going to be hard to convince my mom to make a drastic educational change, but hopefully touring and speaking with the school will be a good first step- and then enrolling my sister in MSD's summer camp will help to see how more immersion in ASL will benefit my sister. As they say "Seeing is believing" and I think that is going to be the case with my mom.. so fingers crossed!!

Any other suggestions people have would be greatly appreciated!!

I felt the need to point you to these blog posts (it wasn't so much a conscious thought as a nagging feeling in my brain). They don't super directly apply to your situation (though at the same time, they do), but you might find them interesting. (I happen to like the way this woman thinks a lot.)

Rachel Coleman » Blog Archive » My Two Cents: Cochlear Implants - A mother of a deaf child states her opinion on CIs and spoken English and ASL
Rachel Coleman » Blog Archive » I’m Sorry, Your Child Is Stupid - The same woman relates her daughter's educational experience and what professionals/"experts" had told her and what she did to aid in her daughter's educational achievement

I felt the need to point you to these blog posts (it wasn't so much a conscious thought as a nagging feeling in my brain). They don't super directly apply to your situation (though at the same time, they do), but you might find them interesting. (I happen to like the way this woman thinks a lot.)

Rachel Coleman » Blog Archive » My Two Cents: Cochlear Implants - A mother of a deaf child states her opinion on CIs and spoken English and ASL
Rachel Coleman » Blog Archive » I’m Sorry, Your Child Is Stupid - The same woman relates her daughter's educational experience and what professionals/"experts" had told her and what she did to aid in her daughter's educational achievement

Thanks for sharing these articles, very interesting. This ladies situation is different than mine, however I still think that a lot of her approach can be applied to my sister's education as well. I'm still playing phone tag with the Michigan School for the Deaf.. will update all you guys as soon as I get a chance to speak with them!!

I just wanted to give everyone an update! So after speaking at length with both my mom and step-dad (sister's father), they have decided they are open to going and looking/touring the Michigan School for the Deaf!!!! :) I'm so thrilled! I'll keep you all posted on what happens :) Thanks for all the words of encouragement and advice!!

Back