Hello from a SODA!

KimmieSODA

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Kimmie. My older sister Sandy is Deaf, so I grew up speaking ASL and interacting with the Deaf community. Sandy and I run our own business together, and seven of our fourteen employees are Deaf, so I also interact with the Deaf community in a professional context.

Recently, I've been considering sharing what I know with short educational videos. I think social media could be a great way to spread awareness, knowledge, and respect of Deaf culture. But first I look forward to being a part of this site!

Our main business is manufacturing cotton candy and popcorn products. We're in the process of getting a new website because our current one is outdated, but you can check us out at www.sakida.com. I also help some of our customers with product and business development.

I'm in Georgia.

Our main business is manufacturing cotton candy and popcorn products. We're in the process of getting a new website because our current one is outdated, but you can check us out at www.sakida.com. I also help some of our customers with product and business development.

I'm in Georgia.

Very cool business.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum, CODA if you are hearing. Enjoy reading and posting here. See you around. :wave:

:thumb:

Thank you!

:wave: I'm hearing and proudly wear the CODA/SODA title (there's an age gap between me and Sandy, so sometimes we have to specify that I'm her sister, not child)

I see your point but hardly we use the SODA for Sister Of Deaf Adult. I guess as a sibling, you can still use the Child of Deaf Adult. This is very often used better with CODA for most Deafies.

Your sister is Deaf adult. I am trying to clarify on between the sister and the child that grew up with Deaf parent or Deaf sibling. That can be confusing, eh? **sigh** :hmm:

SODA might be new/uncommon as a term, but I thought it was both smart, fun and clear. It wasn't hard to understand. Just because you have Deaf siblings does not mean you sign a lot, not when comparing with when having Deaf parents. So if someone wants to emphasize they have a close relationship with a Deaf sibling and know how to sign, SODA is a nice new term. It might need explanation, but I like it.

I'm learning already! Most of the people I've met have used/understood it, so perhaps it's more of a regional term? It's also a flair on reddit, if that means anything to anybody :)

Back