Hello Everyone

txflower95

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Angi and I am hearing. I joined this website so I could get a better understanding of deaf culture. I am currently going to school to become a teacher for deaf children. I don't think it is enough to just learn the language. I believe that if I am truly going to be a good teacher, I have to understand deaf culture. In order to understand the culture, I need to be a part of the community. I read a forum on here dealing with the issue of deafness as a disability. In reading the discussion, I realized this was a really great website to get involved with. I look forward to meeting new people and sharing in the discussions.

Hello,

Welcome to AD and enjoy your stay here :)...

:welcome: to Alldeaf! Have fun browsing and posting! :)

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! Cool, I've been to Waco, Tx., many times several years back. Nice to see another person who is determined and dedicated to be a part of the Deaf/HoH community and wish you the very best. Also, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD! ;)

Have a great day! :wave:

~RR

:welcome: to AD! I am a teacher for the deaf myself and u got it nailed about needing to understand deaf culture and issues that come with deafness. I am deaf myself but I grew up mainstreamed without any knowledge of deaf culture. It took my years at Gallaudet to really learn. I thought I knew it all but I didnt and to this day, I am still learning. What deaf ed program are u currently enrolled? Are u an undergrad student?

Waco was a tiny town out in the middle of no where
Well that's prolly b/c you think Waco= David Koresh.....but that's where Baylor is, right? And Baylor is a big uni, not some cow college.

Well that's prolly b/c you think Waco= David Koresh.....but that's where Baylor is, right? And Baylor is a big uni, not some cow college.

Ah yeah, but well I still remember when the compound there burnt down...it was in Newsweek and in the news and stuff. So before I moved here, when I heard "Waco" I automatically connected it with David Koresh and his cult. I don't do that anymore now that I've seen Waco for myself. :)

:welcome: To All Deaf txflower95!!
I'm hearing also & Good Luck
on your goal on being a teacher
for deaf children, that sounds great:)
Have Fun Posting &
Enjoy Your Stay Here:thumb:

:welcome: to AD! I am a teacher for the deaf myself and u got it nailed about needing to understand deaf culture and issues that come with deafness. I am deaf myself but I grew up mainstreamed without any knowledge of deaf culture. It took my years at Gallaudet to really learn. I thought I knew it all but I didnt and to this day, I am still learning. What deaf ed program are u currently enrolled? Are u an undergrad student?

I am currently enrolled at Mclennan Community College. I have two semesters left before I get my associates. Then I am trying to decide between Baylor and UTA. (answer to another person's question: Yes Baylor is in Waco, Tx) I have heard that Baylor has an excellent program, but I am unsure as to whether I will be able to afford the semesters at Baylor. I am excited about becoming a teacher and am taking all the necessary steps to approach it the best way I know how. I don't know if that qualifies me as an undergraduate, but I think it does...lol. Where do you currently teach? I would definately be interested in hearing the steps you took to become a teacher.

David Koresh and the Branch Dividians

Ah yeah, but well I still remember when the compound there burnt down...it was in Newsweek and in the news and stuff. So before I moved here, when I heard "Waco" I automatically connected it with David Koresh and his cult. I don't do that anymore now that I've seen Waco for myself. :)

That is really funny. I have lived in Waco since I was thirteen. I was a Senior in high school when all the stuff with Koresh was going on. I remember sitting in my child development class watching the compound catch fire. The sad thing was that every where I went people would ask me if I knew David Koresh. I think having the publicity Nation wide made everyone think that Waco was a small town where everyone knows everyone. The truth is, David Koresh wasn't in Waco. He was in one of the small towns (areas) outside of Waco. I have since been to the place where the compound was. There was nothing left except a bunch of flowers and memorabelia for the ones that were lost in the explosion. Mt. Carmel is the name of the small town he was in. When I was younger, I would get offended at people saying he was in Waco and asking me if I knew him. Of course I have grown up since then and realize that the media only tells you what they want you to hear. I went to see my cousin in Winters shortly after the standoff and one of her friends asked me if I knew David Koresh. This being probably the fifth time I had heard the question since I had gotten there looked at her and said yes, I was one of his wives and I barely managed to get away with my life...lol. My cousin's friend was in awe...I quickly corrected her because the truth was, I had a friend from school who lost a loved one in that situation. My heart breaks for the people who lost their lives that day at the compound because they believed in a man who was delusional. Anyway...I went way off on a tangent when all I really wanted to say was that David Koresh is associated with Waco because it was the name of the biggest town near where he was. The Branch Dividian Compound and David Koresh were actually in Mt. Carmel which is about a thirty minute drive from Waco.

Back