Heelys

I think by the time your daughter is in elementary school, they wont be as popular as they are now. Actually, I am starting to see less kids using them now. Skateboards are coming back in style.

I agree, it makes them lazy and kids do not need more gadgets or fads to make them more lazy than they already are.

I personally think that Heelys are just an accident waiting to happen. But, if kids aren't getting hurt on their Heelys, they will find another way to get hurt, because that is what kids do. They fall off bikes, they take a tumble from the jungle gym, they jump on the bed and fall off, they run and trip, they fall off their skateboards. The only way to keep a kid from getting hurt is to put them in a big plastic bubble and keep them there.

I personally think that Heelys are just an accident waiting to happen. But, if kids aren't getting hurt on their Heelys, they will find another way to get hurt, because that is what kids do. They fall off bikes, they take a tumble from the jungle gym, they jump on the bed and fall off, they run and trip, they fall off their skateboards. The only way to keep a kid from getting hurt is to put them in a big plastic bubble and keep them there.

Aren't you glad that your son is all grown up? :)

Aren't you glad that your son is all grown up? :)

Yeppers! If there was a way to get hurt, he was one of those kids that would figure it out! I used to tell him he could get hurt getting a drink of water!

heelys220.jpg

That is Heelys

0004633265795_215X215.jpg

That is Spinners that my son have. :)

:shock: I never see like that before here in Germany.

When heely was start in America? Hopefully it won´t go to Europe...

My son begged us to get those for him. We tried tell him that he didn't like roller stake that we took him. He said it was not same as roller stake. Finally we bought him Hellys. He tried that and he hated it. We said see we tried tell you. He said opps he never use them again that waste our money but Hellys were only cost 20 dollar from Walmart.

Yea, I agree. However, the difference with the Heelys is that kids are using them in crowded places like stores, malls, airports, and so forth. Kids seem to understand that riding a bike inside a mall is not allowed but yet, use Heelys in the mall. That's what is confusing to these kids..their parents say ok to use them in those crowded places but not ok to use skateboards, bikes, roller skates in the mall. It seems like some people are unsure where to draw the line with Heelys but I think the same rules for bikes, skateboards, and rollerskates/blades should apply to Heelys. That's what I told my daughter. Yes, there were a few incidents when she popped the wheels out in a crowded place and she had been punished for it. Took some time to teach her where she can do it and where she cant do it. However, now she is interested in high heels shoes...I dont know which is better..LOL!

I have seen them I don't think kids should wear them in stores and other places.I would not put up with a kid running into me and the mother yelling.I would have gave it right back at her.

Amen! Personally, I think rollerstakes are better as there's a way you can slow or brake yourself.

I think by the time your daughter is in elementary school, they wont be as popular as they are now. Actually, I am starting to see less kids using them now. Skateboards are coming back in style.

I agree, it makes them lazy and kids do not need more gadgets or fads to make them more lazy than they already are.

I take it the 70s are coming back? I remember skateboarding on my Great Aunts' driveway and skinning my knees. My aunt Ruth and Helen kept talking about how dangerous skateboards are while they looked at my knees.

Yea, I agree. However, the difference with the Heelys is that kids are using them in crowded places like stores, malls, airports, and so forth. Kids seem to understand that riding a bike inside a mall is not allowed but yet, use Heelys in the mall. That's what is confusing to these kids..their parents say ok to use them in those crowded places but not ok to use skateboards, bikes, roller skates in the mall. It seems like some people are unsure where to draw the line with Heelys but I think the same rules for bikes, skateboards, and rollerskates/blades should apply to Heelys. That's what I told my daughter. Yes, there were a few incidents when she popped the wheels out in a crowded place and she had been punished for it. Took some time to teach her where she can do it and where she cant do it. However, now she is interested in high heels shoes...I dont know which is better..LOL!

Oh, yeah! Wait till she starts stumbling around on those heels! :giggle:

The first time I ever saw Heelys was during a re-run of C.H.i.P.s where a lady, under pursuit, pushed a button on her platform shoes and <pop> out came the wheels.

The first time I saw the modern Heelys was at the airport. Nobody nor the kid fell. I think it was because everyone, like me, kept a wide berth from the kid. All of the sudden, the kid had a wipeout on the moving walkway and the parents, who were standing, paused a moment before the father told the kid to be wheel-less.

I think many of us can remember what it was like to be a kid - where there were things you had to get because other kids had 'em.

Personally, If it was me, I wouldn't let my kids wear the Heely's in a public area or places that are not appropriate to use.

Like everyone said in this thread, there is a time and a place where they can use it or not to use it. I think the problem is, some of parents now these days are a little bit lenient when it comes to disciplining the kids. Some parents are great but let's face it, there are some parents that will spoil the kids to an end.

Call me old fashioned but if the kids thinks they can try to over-run their parents, that's where they are wrong.

If it was my kid knocking out the soda pop display at the store by using the Heely's, I would make my kid pick up the mess and apologize to the store manager instead of saying "Oops, Sorry, My kid was wearing a heely's." That kind of thing doesn't justify one bit.

I notice some stores have signs saying that they aren't allowed.

I take it the 70s are coming back? I remember skateboarding on my Great Aunts' driveway and skinning my knees. My aunt Ruth and Helen kept talking about how dangerous skateboards are while they looked at my knees.
The 70s? I had a skateboard in the mid 60s. :D

UGH I hate those things. I had a kid run into me at Wal Mart in those and like vampy the mother yelled at me for "allowing" her kid to fall. I just looked at her, signed "moron" and walked away. They are dangerous the kids move too fast in them and they just expect you to move for them. I did see a kid in the Inner Harbor in Baltimore do a spectacular fall in them though and knock a guys drink out of his hand and the guy gave it to the kid and his mother for probably fifteen minutes. I wasnt close enough to lipread what he was yelling but I was laughing my head off the whole time.

I love tripping kids in Heely's. :lol:
Hahaha... I've actually been tempted to do this many times.

Whenever I'm at the mall and I see a kid rolling along on those things, the first thing that goes in my mind is... "Gee... should I stick out my leg?" ;)

Personally, If it was me, I wouldn't let my kids wear the Heely's in a public area or places that are not appropriate to use.

Like everyone said in this thread, there is a time and a place where they can use it or not to use it. I think the problem is, some of parents now these days are a little bit lenient when it comes to disciplining the kids. Some parents are great but let's face it, there are some parents that will spoil the kids to an end.

Call me old fashioned but if the kids thinks they can try to over-run their parents, that's where they are wrong.

If it was my kid knocking out the soda pop display at the store by using the Heely's, I would make my kid pick up the mess and apologize to the store manager instead of saying "Oops, Sorry, My kid was wearing a heely's." That kind of thing doesn't justify one bit.

You are a responsible parent.

Back