Hearing Worries

defgrl

Reaction score
I have some fluctuating conductive loss in my righ ear and a "flat 25-30 dB" loss in my left ear. I went to see an ENT, who talked so loud I could NOT understand much of anything he said. Then, I got an "ABR," which is suppossedly "normal." The audiologist made disparaging remarks about me having an interpreter and so forth. I felt really PUT DOWN! I have a high pitched tinnitus in both ears and it has been going on for several weeks. I am wondering: what from? I have been having trouble understanding what people say for quite some time. I have GREAT difficulty hearing in noise. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE! Sometimes the tinnitus is hard to "hear over." I finally went back to my doctor, who recommended this ENT group to me and told her what happened. She was "sorry it happened" bu she couldn't do much about it. She FINALLY told me that tinnitus wasn't really her field. I can see now that I just wasted my time. I have dx'ed twice with CAPD, but I am not quite shure that's what I have. I am wondering if I have AN/AD instead. Does anyone have any thought on this stuff?:eek3:

I have some fluctuating conductive loss in my righ ear and a "flat 25-30 dB" loss in my left ear. I went to see an ENT, who talked so loud I could NOT understand much of anything he said. Then, I got an "ABR," which is suppossedly "normal." The audiologist made disparaging remarks about me having an interpreter and so forth. I felt really PUT DOWN! I have a high pitched tinnitus in both ears and it has been going on for several weeks. I am wondering: what from? I have been having trouble understanding what people say for quite some time. I have GREAT difficulty hearing in noise. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE! Sometimes the tinnitus is hard to "hear over." I finally went back to my doctor, who recommended this ENT group to me and told her what happened. She was "sorry it happened" bu she couldn't do much about it. She FINALLY told me that tinnitus wasn't really her field. I can see now that I just wasted my time. I have dx'ed twice with CAPD, but I am not quite shure that's what I have. I am wondering if I have AN/AD instead. Does anyone have any thought on this stuff?:eek3:

You can't lie to the ABR. So if it was normal, you don't really have hearing loss. Period. That is all there is to it.

ABR is your brain response so if ABR said you dont have hearing loss, you dont because your brain respondes. Possibly AN or CAPD

Central Audiotory processing disorder(CAPD) Here's some info

entral Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) or Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) is not a hearing impairment, but an inability to process what is being heard. It describes a variety of problems with the brain that interfere with the processing of auditory information.

Processing auditory information goes beyond just hearing. It involves the brain’s ability to sort through the sounds and make sense of all the incoming information. It also requires the ability to effectively separate meaningful messages from the non-essential background sounds and deliver that information with good clarity to the brain.

Where this process does not work well, distorted information will be received. The extra effort required to make sense of this distorted input can lead to tiredness and, in more severe cases, to ‘tuning out’ or ‘switching off’ and retracting into their own world.

Some signs of Central Auditory Processing Disorder may include:

* Distractibility
* Bothered by loud or sudden noises
* Improvement in ability when in quieter settings
* Difficulty following verbal directions
* Difficulty following multi-step directions
* Difficulty following long conversations
* Delay in processing input, elaboration or output
* Difficulty hearing conversations on the telephone
* Reading, spelling, writing or language difficulties
* Difficulties in understanding abstract information
* Difficulty taking notes
* Disorganisation
* Forgetfulness

Wow, hard of hearing and deaf its all so much more complicated then I ever thought. Something its like that or this.
I feel so naïve, becuase this this situation I'm the odd one out being hearing person, just an ASL student.

Processing disorders are enof to make you feel a little insane at times and others as well( even more frustrating) I know that thier is a treatment now from some forms of tinnitus that train your brain to ignore the sound with a HA looking device, but i don't know alot about it but if it is an option for you you might want to check it out.

People with CAPD can be eligible for a HA, it depends if your audi thinks you have CAPD

Not sure I got CAPD

I read some stuff about CAPD. Mostly what I found was about kids with it. But, "they" made it sound almost like an LD. I have NEVER been in LD classes, nor have I ever been dx'ed with an LD.

I was not asleep during my ABR, I was WIDE AWAKE and the audiologist kept stopping the test over and over (checking the electrode connections, I guess). I mean, I was VERY AWARE of everything she was doing. Also, I have Asperger's AND Tourette's, which no one informed her of. She told me I could not "scrunch up my face" during the test. It just makes it ten times worse when I get "stressed out" like that. What really confuses me is that, if it is "within normal limits," why did I get a recommendation to return to the ENT who ordered it for evaluation and treatment?

HA for CAPD?

Just curious, where can I find info about HAs for CAPD. I used to use an ALD when I was going to a "Jr. College" many years ago, but how would HA's help?:hmm:

I read some stuff about CAPD. Mostly what I found was about kids with it. But, "they" made it sound almost like an LD. I have NEVER been in LD classes, nor have I ever been dx'ed with an LD.

I was not asleep during my ABR, I was WIDE AWAKE and the audiologist kept stopping the test over and over (checking the electrode connections, I guess). I mean, I was VERY AWARE of everything she was doing. Also, I have Asperger's AND Tourette's, which no one informed her of. She told me I could not "scrunch up my face" during the test. It just makes it ten times worse when I get "stressed out" like that. What really confuses me is that, if it is "within normal limits," why did I get a recommendation to return to the ENT who ordered it for evaluation and treatment?

You must understand that only children under the age of 5 need to be sedated for an ABR.
And since you stated you have already twice been diagnosed with CAPD you probably were referred back so they could try to help you with that problem.

In my opinion you are going to need to accept the doctor's diagnosis and work with them, instead of trying to make your problem something that it is not.

Just curious, where can I find info about HAs for CAPD. I used to use an ALD when I was going to a "Jr. College" many years ago, but how would HA's help?:hmm:

That is what your referral back to the ENT might help you with.

UVA is trying to specialized tinnitus. you might want to check it out and see what it says.

omg! THAT IS ME!

sorry didn't hit quote- having a bad computer day. things are barely loading.

my audio grams show a guesstimated 75% [i know that not great terminology, but people understand that] los in the upper pitches.
i had the ABR DONE MM.. 7 OR so years ago, maybe more. according to that i have perfect hearing.
my audiologists have never been able to figure it out. i never had ear infections, or any of that jazz. did a CAT scan at one point, etc.
there are a lot of things i just cannot hear even in quiet.- never heard a bird sing. the crickets went away. and slowly i notice new things gone, that i know i used to be able to hear.

My first ABR was 40 db. I think my last one was 80db. I've not had one for years.

I've always seemed to function like someone with a hearing loss of more then 80 db. I mean I know a blind guy who had 80 db loss who uses a speech synthasiser. I could never do that.

I wish you the best of luck Defgrl for sorting out your problem. There is more to being deaf then having a normal ABR. It's what you understand which is important. Not what other people think you should. If you prefere sign language go for it.

Back