Hearing schools

If we find the right resources and support for our individual needs, whether it's a deaf/hoh school or mainstream, we will all see our full potential...
90'sWizKid, that is exactly what I am saying. Why shouldn't dhh kids have the RIGHT to access every and ANY accomondation that could help them reach their FULL potential without having to work so hard, they are burnt out?
It's very common for AVT kids to come home from school,(which is a mainstream school without any specific Deaf accomondations) and just be totally wiped out. If they had access to ASL, and or a school with Deaf accomondations (ie dhh program at a mainstream school) they could do MUCH MUCH better and achieve to their potential without having to work so hard!
Why is that so hard to understand?

Interesting discussion.

I'm from Australia, as y'all can see...

I was mainstreamed all through my schooling years, and I have found it to be advantageous, especially when I was provided with interpreters (or rather, teacher aides and/or teachers of the deaf with signing skills) in all of my classes. I had access to the whole curriculum as my hearing peers - that is something major deaf students put into deaf units and/or deaf school sadly miss out on; remember I'm talking about Australia. I don't know about other countries though.

Just b/c a kid is nominally mainstreamed, it doesn't mean that they have 100% access to the same curriculum as their hearing peers. There IS special education in the mainstream too after all!
I get what you're saying ....and that's why I think a very strong percentage of dhh kids would benefit from a dhh program housed at a hearing school. Like I think it's REALLY important to have low incidence kids grouped together, so they can share in resources, like a TOD, speech therapists who are experienced with dhh kids, Deaf classes like ASL literature and Deaf culture classes.....

I was (and still am) mainstreamed, and something that it seems some people (not necessarily in this topic, just some people) think that in mainstream, the HOH/D/deaf kids are held back by their teachers and fellow students educationally, which is sometimes true, but in my experience with 10 different schools, although I had bullying in a lot of them, never have I ever had a teacher or someone else of authority hold me back educationally or say "Jason, you can't...". I've had a few students say that, but that's just kids being annoying and mean kids, and I'm sure it is like that in almost any school, of any kind, with almost any kids.
I have only had teachers push me forward, and actually put me in the highest possible programs. I have had teachers I didn't like, but they all had my best intentions in mind, and none gave me below the grades standard school work, none did less than the most they could do at that time in their life. And now I have actually been placed in courses that will prepare me for the IB program (International Baccalaureate program), which is a worldwide standard known by universities literally all over the world, which is more difficult at times than advanced or enriched courses. This is not me bragging about myself (in fact, I really don't like saying that IB bit), I'm just saying that mainstream isn't necessarily bad. Same goes for Deaf schools. Just because a person chooses one over the other doesn't mean they are going to get a bad education. Yes, it does depend on the school you go to (some hearing schools aren't as good as others, as I am sure the same applies for Deaf schools) and it also depends on your teachers, but generally these days teachers are employed to educate and uplift their students the best that they can. You can do nothing about the type and personality of the students that you are educated with, although you can tell a teacher or a parent or try to stand up to the student that is bringing you down. If that doesn't work, change schools until you find a student body that 'fits' you.

Anyways, I just wanted to share that with people, just to show I'm not anti-mainstream (these days it is not necessarily bad in mainstream), just as I am not anti-Deaf school. As I said earlier in a previous post, I just believe a person has to pick the school and type of school that works the best for them, and not to be afraid to do work on the side if they need it (I did).

-Jason

Last edited:
Interesting discussion.

I'm from Australia, as y'all can see...

I was mainstreamed all through my schooling years, and I have found it to be advantageous, especially when I was provided with interpreters (or rather, teacher aides and/or teachers of the deaf with signing skills) in all of my classes. I had access to the whole curriculum as my hearing peers - that is something major deaf students put into deaf units and/or deaf school sadly miss out on; remember I'm talking about Australia. I don't know about other countries though.

Deaf schools here in America use the curriculum that public schools use.

Deaf schools here in America use the curriculum that public schools use.

Are you sure about that? I have no expertize but also have not seen anything that indicates that deaf schools are part of a city school system and thus the same curriculum as that city system.

Are you sure about that? I have no expertize but also have not seen anything that indicates that deaf schools are part of a city school system and thus the same curriculum as that city system.

Expertise?

Hey thanks for the advice on the schools for the deaf but I'm staying in the hearing school!!

Back