Hearing schools

what does this have to do with anything?

Whenever you have free time from your hearing school, you could check Kansas School for the Deaf and meet Deaf students there. You probably would like to tour around the School campus, even the classrooms.

I have never been to Kansas, but I think it is worth a try now that you are living in Kansas. It does not hurt to visit the Deaf school. :cool2:

Ideally it is not a good idea for a deaf child to be mainstreamed with hearing kids or even with an interpreter because it is time for learning and how can a deaf child learn fully if he/she is constantly missing out on information?

Hearing children have full access to language and communication during their years of social growth and learning so deaf children should too.

In my opinion, it is a not as beneficial as being immersed using ASL where everyone is using it and be able to fully engage in discussions and collaborative learning. More and more schools are implementing collaborative learning than just traditional learning and if one struggles to catch what everyone is saying, learning how to work collaboratively or in teams can be very restricted.

contensh subject,ask as many deaf as poss those who did and not and those did both...my friend did not and thinks life bad because of that...I stated the obvious I know

Whenever you have free time from your hearing school, you could check Kansas School for the Deaf and meet Deaf students there. You probably would like to tour around the School campus, even the classrooms.

I have never been to Kansas, but I think it is worth a try now that you are living in Kansas. It does not hurt to visit the Deaf school. :cool2:

I was already there but in 7th grade I didn't really like it

if the support system at blue valley is sufficient for faithy to feel like the education is rigorous enough then i don't see what the problem is.

faithy - you should look into the CART frisky mentioned, just to be informed, but if you don't like interpreters you may not like CART either because that involves a stenographer sitting with you in the classroom.

to those pushing deaf schools - in my experience going to a deaf school does not automatically mean a better education. sometimes it's worse because people do not have the same funds or high expectations for deaf/disabled people that they do for abled people. (is that fair? no, but it's a fact, and one that just attending deaf schools will not change - it would take different/more activism to fix that.) i participated in deaf academic bowl tournaments during grade school and was surprised by what some of the opposing teams did not know.

if the support system at blue valley is sufficient for faithy to feel like the education is rigorous enough then i don't see what the problem is.

faithy - you should look into the CART frisky mentioned, just to be informed, but if you don't like interpreters you may not like CART either because that involves a stenographer sitting with you in the classroom.

to those pushing deaf schools - in my experience going to a deaf school does not automatically mean a better education. sometimes it's worse because people do not have the same funds or high expectations for deaf/disabled people that they do for abled people. (is that fair? no, but it's a fact, and one that just attending deaf schools will not change - it would take different/more activism to fix that.) i participated in deaf academic bowl tournaments during grade school and was surprised by what some of the opposing teams did not know.

I have not used any version of CART, nor have I gone to a deaf school. But, I think I have read here of "remote" CART services where the stenographer is off site and the notes taken appear on a laptop used by the student. Then later those notes are also emailed to the student to use to study/review.

If you can learn in that environment, it is fine. The learning component is a big factor. You really need to be learning correctly. If you can't learn from the teachers or get along socially(which will effect you learning), you should look into a deaf school. However, a mainstream school is a real world environment so if you can function there you should stay. You can always take sign classes at a deaf school if you want. I would recommend both..

I'm using CART right now and I really like it

Just a FYI...the teaching approach is changing to more collaborative learning instead of direct instruction..for a deaf or hh child trying to keep up, it will not allow them to reach their full potential..I have seen it ..I grew up with the traditional approach and I managed fine but nowadays it is more of engaging in large or small group discussions. I cant imagine doing well if it was like that back when i was a kid. For sure, I would have drowned. My heart goes out for deaf kids and it is not fair for them to miss out so much academically. Just my two cents...

I read a fairly recent study's paper, and it said that it is usually found that mainstreamed deaf and hard of hearing kids do better academically than those in schools for the deaf, but those mainstreamed kids also have a higher rate of mental illness and social problems, etc, than kids who went to a school for the deaf.

This doesn't necessarily reflect my thoughts on this kind of a topic, but I felt it related and was pertinent to some of the previous comments here.

But then again, back to the mainstreamed kid's academic success, a few people here on AllDeaf have pointed out in other topics before that most deaf and hard of hearing kids are put into mainstream school, and only if and when it doesn't work out for them (for whatever reason) does the parent or guardian of the child sends them to a deaf school. But, at this point, whatever has been done has been done, and some things are left for the deaf school to catch up on. But since those kids are attending the deaf school after mainstreaming didn't work for them, the deaf schools may be getting bad statistics that shouldn't be theirs. So with this in mind, the study's results in regards to deaf and hard of hearing mainstreamed children may not be entirely valid.

I am not sure what I think about the whole thing, to be honest. I guess that each person should just do what they feel is best for them both academically and personally/emotionally.

Faithy - if you feel mainstream is working for you, then you should still continue at it! Previous posters have given good advice about what you could do for extra help in the classroom if you want it (the notetaker is a good idea. Being a HOH high school student, if that is available to me in my school, I might consider it). I wish you the best, no matter how you approach your education!

-Jason

I think as long as you have the proper supports at your hearing school, you should do well...It's fairly rare for dhh kids of any language/methodology to really THRIVE in an inclusive setting...what I mean by thrive is not only access to book learning, but also incidental and social/emotional oppertunties as well....It can be done thou..Just gotta make sure that there are all the pieces of the puzzle there...Have you been to summer camp at KSD? What about the NTID or Gally summer programs? I think deaf specific summer camp oppertunties, can REALLY help with the social emotional aspects that pretty much almost all mainstreamed kids deal with.....and of course, you do know that if you struggle you can use KSD or even MSSD to bail out....It's great that you're doing so well!

That's the only problem... I can read lips pretty well but my mom's thinking of putting me in the special needs program. My mom heard that one of them is a CODA, so I can have an interpreter. I don't want to be thought of as someone with special needs, but I don't want an interpreter either.

You shouldn't opt for the special needs program, as that tends to be for kids who are indeed "special needs" (ie intellectucal disabilities, severe LDs etc) Those types of programs tend to be less academicly rigorousMaybe ask your mom if there are any dhh programs locally you could attend....Those are specificly for dhh kids, with resources and built in TODs and 'terps.....
I'd try the 'terp...it could help you a LOT academicly!

Although you're not interested in attending KSD, maybe a good idea might be to have your IEP evalution done through KSD. They are experienced with dhh kids...So they could make reccomendations, suggestions etc. to improve your mainstream educational experience. I would totally take advantage of something like that. You don't sound TOO "needy" But a evalution done by someone who is very experienced with dhh kids, could bring up interesting suggestions, advice etc, that wouldn't nessarily be brought up by someone whose expertise is in general special ed. I would make the same suggestion if you were blind/low vision....get your evalution done by the state specialized school.

I read a fairly recent study's paper, and it said that it is usually found that mainstreamed deaf and hard of hearing kids do better academically than those in schools for the deaf, but those mainstreamed kids also have a higher rate of mental illness and social problems, etc, than kids who went to a school for the deaf.

This doesn't necessarily reflect my thoughts on this kind of a topic, but I felt it related and was pertinent to some of the previous comments here.

But then again, back to the mainstreamed kid's academic success, a few people here on AllDeaf have pointed out in other topics before that most deaf and hard of hearing kids are put into mainstream school, and only if and when it doesn't work out for them (for whatever reason) does the parent or guardian of the child sends them to a deaf school. But, at this point, whatever has been done has been done, and some things are left for the deaf school to catch up on. But since those kids are attending the deaf school after mainstreaming didn't work for them, the deaf schools may be getting bad statistics that shouldn't be theirs. So with this in mind, the study's results in regards to deaf and hard of hearing mainstreamed children may not be entirely valid.

I am not sure what I think about the whole thing, to be honest. I guess that each person should just do what they feel is best for them both academically and personally/emotionally.

Faithy - if you feel mainstream is working for you, then you should still continue at it! Previous posters have given good advice about what you could do for extra help in the classroom if you want it (the notetaker is a good idea. Being a HOH high school student, if that is available to me in my school, I might consider it). I wish you the best, no matter how you approach your education!

-Jason

I have been trying to explain that to certain members here in AD for years whenever they bad mouth Deaf schools using data. Thank you for pointing that out because it is very true. Several Deaf schools use the Common Core State Standards so there is rigorous teaching and more of an engagement in the classes to create more critical thinkers. Just like with several public schools in many states.

I have been trying to explain that to certain members here in AD for years whenever they bad mouth Deaf schools using data. Thank you for pointing that out because it is very true. Several Deaf schools use the Common Core State Standards so there is rigorous teaching and more of an engagement in the classes to create more critical thinkers. Just like with several public schools in many states.

I can't help but wonder what is being done today about teaching written English? In the US there is no way to avoid having to use it and I see so much poor English used here. That makes me think teaching it fell by the wayside in the past.

Most of hearing teachers either don't know how to teach, or did not sign that well, taking advantage of $$ for working less with kids. From what I have been witnessing all my life when I was in Deaf school. I am very disappointed with them that they are hurting deaf school for closing the Deaf schools. Lots of hearing loss kids have self esteem issues that are bothering me.

Most of my age whose deaf kids i know who went to hearing school and did not do well anyway. Some of them are surprised that I am working for years, while they are not. Back in the days, They kept saying, " you went to deaf school, i went to hearing school. BLAH BLAH BLAH" The results are that some of them did not finish college or didnt find a job. I wonder why.

One thing I didn't mention too- When I was in high school, it was a small Catholic school- so in some ways I did do better there academically.. and slightly better socially rather than in a big public school. I'm not entirely sure for the motivation of my parents for putting all 3 of us into private school (Mom is not Catholic for one...)but I believe the academics was the overriding factor.

I still had trouble socially to be sure- anywhere- including summer swim team (but i have to say-- both the coach(es) and many of my team mates really tried hard to be sure I got around ok as without my hearing aids and glasses I was pretty much full on deaf-blind lol.

With all the advice given here, the only deciding factor is the OP herself. Sounds like she's doing good. I only wish I had note takers back in school. I might have had some help from classmates and in at least one class I used a tape recorder (good god....listening to that thing 15293473 times to catch maybe a fraction of the day's lesson) but in that class the teacher did do one on one with me when we had a LOT of audio/visual/filmstrip 'work stations' some weeks.

Just a FYI...the teaching approach is changing to more collaborative learning instead of direct instruction..for a deaf or hh child trying to keep up, it will not allow them to reach their full potential..I have seen it ..I grew up with the traditional approach and I managed fine but nowadays it is more of engaging in large or small group discussions. I cant imagine doing well if it was like that back when i was a kid. For sure, I would have drowned. My heart goes out for deaf kids and it is not fair for them to miss out so much academically. Just my two cents...
And in the business world, and other professional settings, there is a trend toward more collaborative work and job projects, including group brainstorming, writing, reporting, group conferences, etc. Deaf probably need to learn how to thrive/survive in a group setting at some point in their life.

I can't help but wonder what is being done today about teaching written English? In the US there is no way to avoid having to use it and I see so much poor English used here. That makes me think teaching it fell by the wayside in the past.

It takes a lot to have good writing skills. Writing comes from spoken language which can't be heard by deaf so it is harder for them to learn. This is why ASL is needed for those who can't hear spoken language to learn correct grammar and pronunciation.

I won't even get into pronunciation issues here.

I would say, on here, some of it is due to lack of proof reading while some of it is also due to inability to learn correctly during grade school(myself included).

Back