Hearing Problem - Question

jake989

Reaction score
I'm posting here because it's the largest hearing-related forum Google turns up and I thought it worth a shot.

I've got a hearing problem - I hear really poorly when there's even a bit of background noise. I make people repeat themselves all the time. I took some learning tests as a kid and in the section where they ask you to ID words with noise in the background I was in the 15th percentile (v. bad), but nothing else suggested a learning disorder. I think it's gotten worse since then. I hear fine during hearing tests when all other noise is blocked out. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong and if it can be fixed?

Hard of hearing? *shrugs* Have you tried going to the audiogloist for another test?

Make an appt with an audiologist...

i had a lot of trouble with that too i find as probably many other ppl that testing in a booth and real life hearing situations differ immensely. It's kind of not fair being tested in a sound proof room as opposed to a situation in background noise..i think audis shud test the beeps while there is background noise present as well as just the beeps!

If you notice it going on, and others do also, there may be an issue worth getting checked.

My mother had similar problems, I can't remember the conditions that can cause this (I am sure there is more than one) but hers was related to 'nerve deafness'.
She also had high frequency hearing loss (she could not hear watches beep, for example).

I'm only saying it because it sounds similar, I am not a professional, just making conversation. But it is worth checking out, especially if you think it is getting worse.

Get another hearing test by an audiologist.

I'm surprised your audiologist said nothing. Usually, if there's a problem with your hearing... they will make suggestions or tell you what the problem is.

you could do one of three things

1. continue asking non-medical-professionals for advice on the internet

2. pour 18M HCl in your ears

3. consult a doctor

*snort* @ number 2 LOL
(goes to clean dinner off the computer screen)

In all seriousness ... Jake989 when was the last time you saw an Audiologist (not a " hearing screener" they have at school - in hearing school those people are usually volunteers, not audiologists) ???

A real audiologist can also determine if you have "auditory processing disorder".

I'm the same way, and I think I'm hard of hearing. You need to go to an ENT. I'm doing that soon, before heading off to college, so hopefully the problem will have a solution by then.

Back