Hearing person with a deafened father

Elle_Arcana

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
My father suffered gradual hearing loss since I was 13 due to Otosclerosis. 4.5 years ago, when I was 23, he completely lost all his hearing. I took the news quite badly - I had been getting over my performance anxiety and practicing a song I had wanted him to hear. It has been a transition for us all and I have always wanted to find a way to help him and others deal with losing hearing in adulthood. I also want to understand better.

I am now a post-graduate student in Design Management and I'm still singing.

Last edited:
Is it for late deaf adults only?

I was born Deaf, and have no idea what if something were challenge or not. :dunno2: I ve been doing fine since I was a kid.

I wonder if there's a similar site like this one in Canada since you want only Canadian respondents.......at the moment I don't recall a currently active Canadian here....

Hmm, do you know if there is a majority group here? Are there a lot of Americans? I'm wondering if I should broaden my data collection to include the United States.

Hi, yes I'm looking at people who have become deafened or experienced hearing loss as adults/young adults. I understand it's quite a different experience than those who have been born Deaf.

You probably should have made two separate threads; one for your personal introduction and the other for requesting help with your survey.

Thank you, I believe you are right. I created another thread in the General Chat. Should I remove the link in my introduction? I don't want to put people off.

Thanks Reba. Be assured that I am here to stay, as my father has complete hearing loss I want to be permanently involved in learning about deaf culture. (he actually referred me here)

My questionnaire is more in-depth than those general questions listed and I am required to collect primary data to analyze and cross-reference so I can come to some solid conclusions.

I will remove the link from my introduction thread and I do hope I have not given the wrong impression.

Best Regards,
Elle

Thanks Reba. Be assured that I am here to stay, as my father has complete hearing loss I want to be permanently involved in learning about deaf culture. (he actually referred me here)

Did he really? :hmm:

If he is a member, that was probably a cruel thing to do, as he would know what will happen to you... :shock:

Hello everyone!
My father suffered gradual hearing loss since I was 13 due to Otosclerosis. 4.5 years ago, when I was 23, he completely lost all his hearing. I took the news quite badly - I had been getting over my performance anxiety and practicing a song I had wanted him to hear. It has been a transition for us all and I have always wanted to find a way to help him and others deal with losing hearing in adulthood. I also want to understand better.

I am now a post-graduate student in Design Management and I'm still singing.

:-o what will happen to me?

Oh, not much...

People may not have that much empathy for how terribly your father's loss of hearing affected you.

Hmm, do you know if there is a majority group here? Are there a lot of Americans? I'm wondering if I should broaden my data collection to include the United States.

American site public forum .if you from uk i just posted you the address.
i was born hearing until 30 then sudden loss

Hey! I'm a deafened adult living in Canada. I lost most of my hearing when I was 22. If you want to ask me any questions you can! Also I'm really sorry to hear about your father - don't give up hope!

Back