Hearing parent/HOH baby <3

And also another really good book to have on hand is Netfirms Commerce Pro
It's a book by hoh people for hoh people.....and it's great for hearing parents of hoh kids too! I HIGHLY reccomend it!

The whole refusal of implantation because of teaching ASL? Find yourself another doctor, FAST. You can always start with ASL just to get started on communicating (language). Perhaps you will find he would indeed be a good candidate for a CI, or just HAs. (I wear HAs myself and have looked into a CI, so I'm neither endorsing or nay-saying either. I'm unbiased here.)

When my son was in the process for assessing whether or not he was a candidate for his CIs at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, they stressed that teaching sign would not be beneficial to him and would be counterproductive to him learning to speak.
He has his CIs now, and i have never been on board with SickKids opinion on sign language, my son is learning sign now, his teacher has informed me that the hospital is known for having strong opinions against signing when getting implants. I think it is ridiculous, and so we didn't tell them that he would be learning sign while he was still being assessed. Now they can't do anything about it and it is my right as his parent to decide whether or not he should learn it or not. They did indicate in the beginning (subtly) that making the decision to teach him sign could affect their decision.

When my son was in the process for assessing whether or not he was a candidate for his CIs at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, they stressed that teaching sign would not be beneficial to him and would be counterproductive to him learning to speak.
He has his CIs now, and i have never been on board with SickKids opinion on sign language, my son is learning sign now, his teacher has informed me that the hospital is known for having strong opinions against signing when getting implants. I think it is ridiculous, and so we didn't tell them that he would be learning sign while he was still being assessed. Now they can't do anything about it and it is my right as his parent to decide whether or not he should learn it or not. They did indicate in the beginning (subtly) that making the decision to teach him sign could affect their decision.

That's VERY wrong of them to try to force you to choose a communication mode by threatening to take away the option of the CI. That makes me so mad!

It's been proven that sign language does NOT hinder the ability to speak. I'm living proof of that. I hope to hear more about your experiences on this forum. Good luck with everything!

That's VERY wrong of them to try to force you to choose a communication mode by threatening to take away the option of the CI. That makes me so mad!

It's been proven that sign language does NOT hinder the ability to speak. I'm living proof of that. I hope to hear more about your experiences on this forum. Good luck with everything!

That is one of the reasons I dislike the views behind the CIs. I dont blame the CIs themselves but some of the views that come with them...talk about audist!

Now they can't do anything about it and it is my right as his parent to decide whether or not he should learn it or not. They did indicate in the beginning (subtly) that making the decision to teach him sign could affect their decision.
Agreed....and I mean I think as long as kids get consistant speech therapy and consistant auditory verbal sessions, they will develop speech and language ability. I just don't get why someone would be anti ASL. It's another very useful tool. Bet you anything if being fluent in ASL was promoted as "your kid can be bilingal" you'd see a lot less parents opting for speech only.

As its your sons first time around ASL he isn't understanding that ASL is a language and that the "hand motions" you are making mean anything. But keep signing! Soon he will put two and two together and realize that everything (well...mostly everything) has a sign, kids learn at their own pace :)

Back