Hearing mommy of newly diagnosed deaf son!

Just trying to get the truth out. Why should I let things that are blantantly UNTRUE stand? (Like the idea that people with CI's can't understand speech :roll:)

But I know many CI users who do not understand speech.

But I know many CI users who do not understand speech.

Knowing individuals who do not understand speech is very different from saying that people with CIs can't understand speech.

I know many deaf people who don't understand sign. That doesn't mean that deaf people can't sign.

Knowing individuals who do not understand speech is very different from saying that people with CIs can't understand speech.

I know many deaf people who don't understand sign. That doesn't mean that deaf people can't sign.

They can learn but speech is a different story. It is like telling the blind to learn how to see.

No, it is like the blind learning to walk. It may be difficult but it could be useful.

Blind people are usually not wheelchair bound.

It is like telling a person with paralysis to learn how to walk. That would be a more appropriate comparision.

Blind people are usually not wheelchair bound.

It is like telling a person with paralysis to learn how to walk. That would be a more appropriate comparision.

Deaf people have fully functioning mouth and voice boxes. They CAN speak, there is nothing wrong with their ability to produce speech. Just like there is nothing wrong with a blind person's ability to move. They just need support and proper training to learn how.

Deaf people have fully functioning mouth and voice boxes. They CAN speak, there is nothing wrong with their ability to produce speech. Just like there is nothing wrong with a blind person's ability to move. They just need support and proper training to learn how.

But all blind people can walk unless they have some other issues but not all deaf people are able to learn speech. I have seen evidence of that.

But all blind people can walk unless they have some other issues but not all deaf people are able to learn speech. I have seen evidence of that.

I really have very little information about what it takes for a blind child to learn to walk, but I have heard that it takes many years longer than for a sighted child.

And I have never heard of a deaf person who was completely mute unless they had other issues. The speech may not be understandable, but all deaf people CAN learn to speak in some form or another. (Doesn't mean they should have to use it, but it is possible).

I really have very little information about what it takes for a blind child to learn to walk, but I have heard that it takes many years longer than for a sighted child.

And I have never heard of a deaf person who was completely mute unless they had other issues. The speech may not be understandable, but all deaf people CAN learn to speak in some form or another. (Doesn't mean they should have to use it, but it is possible).

SPEECH would require it to be intelligable--only making sounds and utterences is NOT speech FJ... there is a difference-- let me ask you this... if Miss Kat could only grunt would you say she had accuired SPEECH??? I'm just curious...

Welcome Jordan Walters. You just got the cliff notes of how AD works within your thread!

Seriously, Jordan, AD has some good treasures. You just have to go through a lot of baggage to find them. ;)

SPEECH would require it to be intelligable--only making sounds and utterences is NOT speech FJ... there is a difference-- let me ask you this... if Miss Kat could only grunt would you say she had accuired SPEECH??? I'm just curious...

While in a way I agree with you, the point is it takes a life time of learning to talk. Just because a guy is born black does not make him a basketball player and just a couple of years on the playground wont neither. It take years of practice and dedication......along with a place and support. That semes to be the problem with deaf children learning to speak.....practice and dedication...because the place and support is in place (thanks to ADA).
So the point is that all deaf can speak if they want to.

While in a way I agree with you, the point is it takes a life time of learning to talk. Just because a guy is born black does not make him a basketball player and just a couple of years on the playground wont neither. It take years of practice and dedication......along with a place and support. That semes to be the problem with deaf children learning to speak.....practice and dedication...because the place and support is in place (thanks to ADA).

Especially when it come to the hearing people, they think that D/deaf people can speak and expect the D/deaf people to understand hearing people like lipreading and also with hearing aids or CIs. Hearing people expect D/deaf people to listen or hear to the hearing people what they say without any trouble. That is why we don't really want to do speech every time hearing people expect us all the time. They don't know anything about hearing loss (different degrees) like mild to moderate and moderate to profound deafness. This is the problem we have been trying to explain to hearing people. They think hearing tools are great which it is not that great and that goes for speech therapy, too. :roll:

Thus one way to improve the above scenario. Is to support hearing science and technology related research to make it easier for the deaf to learn to hear and speak better.

Thus one way to improve the above scenario. Is to support hearing science and technology related research to make it easier for the deaf to learn to hear and speak better.

it is one thing to be able to hear, it is another to be able to read. so far people who swears by being oral can't read..

Just sayin'

Especially when it come to the hearing people, they think that D/deaf people can speak and expect the D/deaf people to understand hearing people like lipreading and also with hearing aids or CIs. Hearing people expect D/deaf people to listen or hear to the hearing people what they say without any trouble. That is why we don't really want to do speech every time hearing people expect us all the time. They don't know anything about hearing loss (different degrees) like mild to moderate and moderate to profound deafness. This is the problem we have been trying to explain to hearing people. They think hearing tools are great which it is not that great and that goes for speech therapy, too. :roll:

bUT THIS IS A TOTALLY WASTE OF YOUR TIME......JUST EXPLAIN THAT YOU WANT EVERYONE, DEAF OR HEARING, TO HAVE THE BEST OPPORTUNITY. AND ALSO FOR ANYONE, DEAF OR HEARING, TO GIVE THEIR BEST EFFORT. I KNOW TOOOOO MANY PEOPLE, BOTH DEAF AND HEARING, THAT DON'T GIVE A SHIT AND DON'T EVEN TRY AND THEN GET UPSET WHEN THE REST OF US DON'T THROW THEM A "PITY PARTY".

There are no proven results for CI-statistics-Its a great risk that may not work...ultimately up to the parents-also take into consideration multiple surgeries in the future because it will need to be changed for a bigger one or when a newer one is designed with more understanding. There are 53 million hair cells that Hearing people have in there cochlea the CI tries to replicate that with only...I believe...22. Iam not for or against..just simply feel the facts arent always addressed. I cant imagine having to deal with such a diffucult choice-Good Luck.

it is one thing to be able to hear, it is another to be able to read. so far people who swears by being oral can't read..

Just sayin'

Hey, I grew up oral and I think I am a decent reader!

Back