Hearing mommy of newly diagnosed deaf son!

it is one thing to be able to hear, it is another to be able to read. so far people who swears by being oral can't read..

Just sayin'

Ouch, PFH!!

My hubby grew up, oral boy. He is pretty good at reading. :slap: pfh.

I really have very little information about what it takes for a blind child to learn to walk, but I have heard that it takes many years longer than for a sighted child.

And I have never heard of a deaf person who was completely mute unless they had other issues. The speech may not be understandable, but all deaf people CAN learn to speak in some form or another. (Doesn't mean they should have to use it, but it is possible).

It would be better to say "someone with cerebral palsy" than a blind person in this comparison.

Deaf and hearing can speak. People with mild to moderate CP can walk. Some can never speak; some can never walk despite the mechanism being there.

Ok, just for the record. I was in the English Honor Class in High School...

Honors don't really means much.

All it means is you have been drilled enough to get the perfect A on your homeworks and exams. It's not a reflection of your intelligence, but rather a reflection of your work ethics. Believe me, I have met many bright and dumb people in honor rolls; and I have met a lot of geniuses with Fs.

Intelligence and skills do not equal work ethics.

it is one thing to be able to hear, it is another to be able to read. so far people who swears by being oral can't read..

Just sayin'

Actually... oral deaf don't "hear." They listen. :laugh2:

Many hearing people can hear, but they don't listen... hence why they don't retain information long-term as well as the oral deaf counterparts.

Honors don't really means much.

All it means is you have been drilled enough to get the perfect A on your homeworks and exams. It's not a reflection of your intelligence, but rather a reflection of your work ethics. Believe me, I have met many bright and dumb people in honor rolls; and I have met a lot of geniuses with Fs.

Intelligence and skills do not equal work ethics.
You're right. Being in the honors doesn't necessarily always reflect success later in life. But I was somewhat replying to PFH's repeated comments on my "supposed poor reading skills". Such that if my reading skills were so poor, I wouldn't have been in the English honor class to begin with. That's all.

Back