Hearing Loss Scared!

This is from the 50's and my mom thought it was 'pretty' , I was like :ugh: . I got the body style hearing aid .
I had the body aid.. it was a nightmare to carry the batteries to school incase it died.

A 3 boobed...ummm... I would not mind one of those. Snapping out of it...Kids in my school actually thought I was wearing a transistor radio!
Just dont ask me what I looked like then.. but just picture this.. the body aid, full band braces( major railroad tracks), glasses from the 70"s.. I was one scary looking girl.

I had the body aid.. it was a nightmare to carry the batteries to school incase it died.
I was lucky my batteries never dies on while at school and it a good thing b/c my parents didn't think of packing any for me. I use to made it
feedback in class , I had teacher that none of the students like . So they didn't rat on me , the teacher never knew where the sound was coming from.

Just dont ask me what I looked like then.. but just picture this.. the body aid, full band braces( major railroad tracks), glasses from the 70"s.. I was one scary looking girl.

I was lucky my batteries never dies on while at school and it a good thing b/c my parents didn't think of packing any for me. I use to made it
feedback in class , I had teacher that none of the students like . So they didn't rat on me , the teacher never knew where the sound was coming from.
I started a thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/threads/show-your-old-photos.127074/
Go there and post your photos or be square! Do not be chicken!

Back in the late 60's and early 70's, I could swear mine were glass too, but I cannot remember for sure.

Dang, good question. I do not know. I was only 6 yrs old. But, I do remember it being very hard and clear.
I have hard clear, with blue glitter, ear molds. I love them because I don't have to get new ones every 6 months or so due to shrinkage like I did with the soft ones.

I have hard clear, with blue glitter, ear molds. I love them because I don't have to get new ones every 6 months or so due to shrinkage like I did with the soft ones.
I have sensitive ears. I go w/ the soft hypoallergenic molds, but a whole lot of good they do! Are your ears sore by end of day?

I have sensitive ears. I go w/ the soft hypoallergenic molds, but a whole lot of good they do! Are your ears sore by end of day?
No, my ears aren't bothered by them. Not sure if they come in hypoallergenic or not.

It can be scary, especially because you don't know exactly what will happen. I felt the same way, I was scared of what would happen. I had been "diagnosed" with hearing loss six years ago, but doctors finally admitted I had had hearing loss since I was 5 (I'm 24). I wore hearing aids and was soon glad that a friend in elementary school was deaf and taught me some sign language. Then a year ago, my car was forced to stop in front of the fire department to allow emergency vehicles to pass. The siren was loud and constant, I had to wait for almost four minutes while the vehicles passed. My ears began to ring and the sounds I could hear an hour before slowly got softer and I was scared that everything would change, that I wouldn't be able to hear music or my friends, but I found out that my "hearing loss" had changed, but my family and friends were still there and after I was fitted with new hearing aids I could still listen to my iPod. It's okay to be scared, most people are scared of the unknown, it's similar to a roller coaster, exhilarating and terrifying at the same time. Yes, you will have to change some things, if you don't have a telephone flasher, you might want one, or a tactile alarm clock and smoke detectors and it may frustrate you. Just remember that you are still YOU. Hearing aids, sign language or both, do what make YOU comfortable.

I know the feeling I was born hoh and it has slowly been getting worst. My ear drums are rubbing against my ear bones and my audie and I are waiting for them to snap because there is nothing else they can do. But when I lose the rest I am going to get a hearing dog. A lot of deaf/hoh around me.don't use them but I alone and scared without someone else with me.

It can be scary, especially because you don't know exactly what will happen. I felt the same way, I was scared of what would happen. I had been "diagnosed" with hearing loss six years ago, but doctors finally admitted I had had hearing loss since I was 5 (I'm 24). I wore hearing aids and was soon glad that a friend in elementary school was deaf and taught me some sign language. Then a year ago, my car was forced to stop in front of the fire department to allow emergency vehicles to pass. The siren was loud and constant, I had to wait for almost four minutes while the vehicles passed. My ears began to ring and the sounds I could hear an hour before slowly got softer and I was scared that everything would change, that I wouldn't be able to hear music or my friends, but I found out that my "hearing loss" had changed, but my family and friends were still there and after I was fitted with new hearing aids I could still listen to my iPod. It's okay to be scared, most people are scared of the unknown, it's similar to a roller coaster, exhilarating and terrifying at the same time. Yes, you will have to change some things, if you don't have a telephone flasher, you might want one, or a tactile alarm clock and smoke detectors and it may frustrate you. Just remember that you are still YOU. Hearing aids, sign language or both, do what make YOU comfortable.
Thank you so much

I noticed when my ear was infected and I couldn't hear anything I found it peaceful. I could see the world for the first time. I was not distracted by sounds. I could see birds and the trees dancing. It kind of gave me a new point of view. So I am not afraid to loss my hearing because I know I will find peace, I am afraid of being home alone while my child sleep because I have always had a fear of that lol

I know the feeling I was born hoh and it has slowly been getting worst. My ear drums are rubbing against my ear bones and my audie and I are waiting for them to snap because there is nothing else they can do. But when I lose the rest I am going to get a hearing dog. A lot of deaf/hoh around me.don't use them but I alone and scared without someone else with me.
My hearing dog saved my life in so many ways, they are amazing!

I don't want to go through an organization because they can take years and the ones by me cost $500, which they say they will refund back. But I know a guy that trains hearing dog, so I am going to play the puppy lotto and hope it all works out

Back