hearing learning ASL, how long?

A

apathrev

I know this has probably been done to death, and I'll likely get several people telling me its a repost. I'm curious for those hearing who posts on here that know ASL and can sign fluently, how long be you were able to effectively sign in conversation and recognize signs? Not just able to carry on conversations, but how long did it take to "click?" Such as able to sign and read signs without thinking. I am just beginning with instruction, and will be attending classes through a local agency throughout this fall, but I've been teaching myself some signs for the past couple of months. And I have a coworker that can sign, but I have a hard time picking out the few signs I do recognize from here, which makes me nervous to try and converse with her the little I do know.

Im hearing and only started taking ASL classes December of 2004, and Im not fluent yet. The first class I took was ASL 101, in which the hearing teacher signed and used voice. She would write the vocabulary or whatever we were learning on the board and then show us the signs. As soon as I started taking that class, I got up the nerve to start signing with my friend who is Deaf. Before then I would just make sure I was facing him when I talked, not slur my words, speak clearly, etc... but as you probably know Deaf people still cant lipread 100% even when you try your hardest to speak "perfectly". Alot of words can be confused with others, and some just cant be lipread.

Pretty soon I started getting lots of practice with him at work whether it be small talk or asking "someones looking for ketchup, what aisle is it on again?" (we both work in a grocery store) Before I knew it, I got to the point where I would never use my voice when I had something to say. Spring quarter rolled around and I signed up for ASL 102, where I had the same hearing teacher but this class was 100% silent. I had lots of fun in this class, sometimes it seemed almost like elementary school because we would do things like play games like "Guess Who" and "Go Fish" but it really helps you pick up ASL extremely fast.

By the end of that school quarter and after signing to my friend instead of using voice I was able to sign with remarkable pace and flow my fingerspelling fast enough to see the jaw on my ASL teacher drop. I was also at the point where I could express what seemed like nearly anything in sign with ease and at a fairly fast pace. Alot of people in my ASL class, some of which had Deaf relatives and friends told me I signed like a Deaf person, including my friend who is Deaf, and my teacher who has Deaf friends.

The hardest part for me was reading fingerspelling, by reading the word and not going letter by letter. I picked up being able to fingerspell rather fast without "bouncing" because I would see the word in my head and already know what the next letters are. I would also retain part of the last handshape when fingerspelling which can throw off alot of ASL learners, and which shocked my friend because I just naturally started creating the short cuts alot of Deaf people use. By retaining the last handshape I mean if you sign a word that goes n-i, m-i, t-i... such as nike, mike, or time, I would do the full "n" handshape, and instead of changing to a complete "i" handshape, I would just keep the "n" handshape and flick my pinkie finger up. Thats what shocked alot of my classmates and other people I signed with, because they didnt believe me that it was only my 2nd quarter of ASL.

I also believe that previously learning Japanese helped me alot with learning ASL, since the word order is the same. Before I could think of how to express something in ASL, I would just think of how to say it in Japanese and then use that word order. Some people learning ASL also have problems when they see a conversation, and a sign comes up that they dont recognize. Instead of just disregarding the fact that they didnt understand that sign, they mentally "shut down" and cannot stop thinking about what that sign was. By that time, they have missed a huge portion of the conversation. I was able to get past this rather fast, and would get the rest of the conversation except the signs I didnt know, and then I would ask "repeat that sign? Whats the meaning?" or whatever.

Sorry I rambled on about my experiences, but in short, I have gotten to where I am and I havent even been learning sign for a year yet... I also use to be self consious about the all the stares you get when you are signing in public, but I have since gotten past that, and now only communicate in ASL to my Deaf friend.

But of course, you have a tendency to forget the signs you learned that you rarely if ever use.... I learned alot of techincal signs at school, like "registrar, copy machine, elevator, etc...." Its not exactly everyday I tell someone to "take the elevator to the registrars office and use the copy machine." :rofl:

Teg

It's hard to really say. I see people coming to RIT that have perfect hearing and by their second year (never taking a single ASL class mind you), they're talking to themselves in ASL more than in spoken English. I also see people that don't make any effort to learn and just sit on their hands and think that the deaf/hoh are 'over there' and that they can thusly be ignored.

My experience as a person who is hard of hearing but had virtually no ASL ability coming here has been that over the first and now the beginning of my second year I've just kind of picked it up by spending time with my deaf/HOH friends. I'm not perfect or fluent by any stretch of the imagination, but I can communicate and I force myself to learn more.

At a place like RIT where mainstreaming is the functional philosophy (or not functional, depending on how you look at it), it's mostly a matter of how much contact deaf/hoh and hearing people get. Some of the hearing students have a real problem dealing with such a large number of deaf/hoh students around them, but they rarely voice this sentiment. I think the majority of hearing students just fear (ironically) that the deaf/hh students will pass judgement on them because they're hearing and that makes contact more difficult.

If the hearing student lives in the Ellingson (aka Tower A) dorm, things are different because the vast majority of the deaf/hh students that live in the dorms live in this one. The hearing students are essentially forced to either not interact with half of the students on their floor at all, or come up with ways of communicating. The Internet and the advent of instant messaging has helped this tremendously, as now reasonably-fast communication between two people can occur in a fashion which is entirely text-based, and the fact that living in this building tends to open hearing people up to learning ASL just because they feel excluded by the language barrier.

I conclude, given this, that how long it will take any adult (regardless of whether he or she is deaf, hard of hearing, or hearing) to pick up ASL is solely dependent on how much contact he or she has with people who presently know ASL, which, frankly, is true for any language even spoken ones. The best way to learn Japanese is to live in Japan. The best way to learn German is to live in Germany. The best way to learn ASL is to surround yourself with the people who currently know it.

i've been learning sign language for little over a year i'd say. I've never taken any classes and learned by simply being around deaf people. i really only know PSL, so ASL really throws me off. Im at the point that i can use PSL pretty fluently, i can convey any meaning i am trying to convey, and i can understand most people when they sign to me. I'm wanting to learn ASL so i can move away from SEE and PSL, but ASL is so foreign to me, when i look at two deaf people signing ASL to each other, i can't understand them because there isn't enough information coming across....their hand movements stop halfway and full sentences can happen in one sign. I have several deaf friends tho so ima start making them teach me heh.

im hearing and ive been signing for about.....15 years.
i remember, my aunt patty (she taught me how to sign) would have days called "silent days" where i wasn't allowed to use my voice at all. only sign. god i hated that back then. but looking back on it now, it did help me.

I've been learning sign for almost exactly two years now. I took four semesters through the community college during high school, and I am now a freshman at CSUN. I would say that I "fell in love" with ASL my second semester, when I had a deaf teacher. Since that time, I have gone to deaf events, and really thrown myself into learning sign. I am now living in the deaf dorms at CSUN, (the BEST decision I could've made) and get practice everyday.
That said, my 2 years of sign have, due to my motivation, helped me to become fluent in.. PSE/PSL, whatever you want to call it. My speed is good, my signing is clear, (though I've been getting really lazy with my fingerspelling lately, to the point it is sometimes not recognizable :() but my true ASL skills are really minimal. Even though my 2nd and 3rd semester classes were full immersion sign, (don't ask about my 4th semester, total waste of time) with deaf teachers, the focus was on communicating, not proper ASL. I picked up on signs faster than most of my classmates, and when I really needed to be learning grammatical structure and all that, I was still learning basic vocabulary.
Now, in the CSUN dorms, the majority of d/hoh students sign PSE. The only ones who don't always use PSE are those who grew up with ASL by having deaf parents or older deaf brothers and sisters. However, these deaf students are the ones who have the best grasp on English, better than those who grew up with SEE, and when they see me signing PSE, and/or find out that I'm hearing, they sign in English for me! It does make communication a little bit faster for us, but I am not learning.
The deaf studies faculty here is very strong with their ASL, so I am learning from them, but this is only a few short hours a week. Also, although the instruction is in ASL, we are no longer learning ASL, but rather learning to translate between ASL and English. If I think about it long enough, I can communicate in ASL, but as my more natural form of communication, I use PSE.
SOOO, to answer the original question, the amount of time it takes to learn ASL is different for everyone. Remember, learning to sign and learning ASL may be different things. Also, although you have heard here about people becoming fluent, or close to it, in one or two years, this isn't usually the case. The people who have taken time to become invested in a deaf forum post, and go out and meet deaf people, have a serious interest in deaf culture, and will consequently learn faster. You get out of sign what you put into it. Good luck!

Well, I just got back from my first ASL class tonight, and it was alot funner and went alot smoother for me than I expected. I'm not as worried to pick up on new signs as I was before, but I was having trouble at reading signs people would make towards me. I guess its fair to say I was a little head of the class, since I've done some prior studying. I'm alittle dissapointed though, because the class is not going to focus on explaining syntax or word order at all, which makes me glad I've already done some reading on it. The instructor is deaf. Does anyone think this will effect how fast or slow the class is taught. Several people have mentioned they had deaf instructors in ASL 2 and 3 classes.

A couple of parents of deaf children who are taking the classes thought I was deaf because of how much I already knew. Should I take this as a compliment?

Another question comes to mind for ASL students. How long did it take you to be comfortable to communicate with deaf people. Or how long before you felt you knew enough to effectively communicate?

cental34 said:
Another question comes to mind for ASL students. How long did it take you to be comfortable to communicate with deaf people. Or how long before you felt you knew enough to effectively communicate?

For me to be comfortable signing with Deaf people?? hmm... a really really LONG time... I first started signing with my Deaf friends when I would say something that I didnt want other people to hear, not necessarily talking crap, but something someone 19 like me would say to someone who is at least 21 or older, if you get my drift. Then as I gradually started learning more signs, I wanted to put them to use instead of saying the same thing 3 times before my friend fully understood me. I am usually a very patient person, but why make him lipread the same sentence 2 or 3 times when I can just sign it right??

I was very uncomfortable and skeptical at first signing to Deaf people because I didnt really understand the whole perspective of it aiding communication. I can speak Japanese, and recently went to Japan, and found it rather annoying when someone can speak 2 words of English and sort of "throws it in your face" so to speak. And then I would go talk to them in Japanese, and they didnt even want to talk, just show you what they know... :wtf: I know that there are hearing people out there that do this with Deaf people and ASL, as I have read the threads discussing that on here. :lol:

So I was positive that my friend would just be like, get a grip, or who are you trying to impress, etc. But the first time I signed to him, he laughed jokingly, and it all went from there. I only sign and dont use my voice, while he signs and uses voice, because otherwise I would be getting about 50% of the conversation.... :lol:

The most confusing part of ASL for me is "classifiers"... I will see someone use a classifier, and not know what that sign was, I will ask my friend and be like "wtf sign was that" and then he goes, thats not a sign, thats a classifier... :doh: The first classifer I did this with was "CHA", the C handshape smacking down on an open palm... :lol: I still do this, because of course not every single new handshape you see is a sign, so you have to find out if its a classifier or a sign... basically what it is and how to use it.

Teg

I started using the ASL I had learned after ASL 2 & 3. That doesn't mean I was really comfortable doing it, but since I was mostly asking deaf customers if they needed help finding things (which only really needs a few signs, finger spelling, and basic direction giving; all covered in ASL 2) it wasn't too hard.

I wasn't truely comfortable until ASL 4 & 5. It was during that time that our teacher also suggested that we might want to go to the local Deaf Club since most of us could sign well enough to make 'small talk'.

All of my classes were taught by Deaf teachers and all were total immersion, no voices were allowed; this has been a real asset.

I use ASL all the time.

Hi Goabe,
I've known ASL now for 31 yrs, and most deaf use it.
Thats the best way to learn ASL is from a deaf person, thats how I learned.
Keep up with your sign language classes.
Margie
Dir. of Commuication Services
OCDAC
Interperter too.

Teg
The most confusing part of ASL for me is "classifiers"... I will see someone use a classifier, and not know what that sign was, I will ask my friend and be like "wtf sign was that" and then he goes, thats not a sign, thats a classifier... The first classifer I did this with was "CHA", the C handshape smacking down on an open palm... I still do this, because of course not every single new handshape you see is a sign, so you have to find out if its a classifier or a sign... basically what it is and how to use it.
the sign & classifer you are refering to is a tall glass... classifer's are part of a sign, they just desribe the word better, if its tall short fat skinny etc..
hope this help u undstnd better abt classifer's.

have gd now
LMM

hey i have been learning sign for 5 months now from my boyfriend who is deaf, i learned it fast and am fluent. I feel comfertable signing with other deafies, the other night i went to deaf bowling without my boyfriend and made a few new friends, it was great!!! I dont know if its ok to post a site for asl, but I will and if its not ok then i can take it off. But try www.aslpro.com it is really great and interactive with tests and all sorts of stuff

jamielee said:
hey i have been learning sign for 5 months now from my boyfriend who is deaf, i learned it fast and am fluent. I feel comfertable signing with other deafies, the other night i went to deaf bowling without my boyfriend and made a few new friends, it was great!!! I dont know if its ok to post a site for asl, but I will and if its not ok then i can take it off. But try www.aslpro.com it is really great and interactive with tests and all sorts of stuff

That's a great site! Thanks for posting that, I was looking for a resource like that :thumb:

jamielee said:

To echo what Skizza20 said, thanks for the link. This will definetely help me out, especially with fingerspelling. After only a couple of weeks, I'm actually fairly comfortable communicating the small amount I know, that I learned outside of class, with my instructor, and I think I would be comfortable communicating with new people I meet. Gratefully, things are clicking as I go along, and not all at once like I had feared.

it really depends. If you have "I want to learn ASL" attitude, you will learn lot faster than people with "I have to learn ASL" attitude. Also mingling with Deaf people often will increase your vocabularies lot faster. Being ASL Instructor for 14 years, I easily can tell who will succeed as interpreter by the end of their 1st year- first semester..

It all depends on indivual. No one has same learning path. Howver on the average it takes 5 years to master ASL. That is what I learn though my research in college. Rarely, they can master overnight. The fastest would be around 2 years and the longest one is 15 years. Ofc the best to learn ASL is hang around with deafies and deal with BS and you'd learn alot. Plus respecting and understand deaf culture is really important part of learning ASL.

My fiancee taught me all I know in about 1 year. I practiced signing PSE constantly with her, and then she taught me the differences between PSE and ASL. A couple months later, it "clicked" and I started noticing that my deaf friends were telling me I was fluent in ASL. I was amazed.

I don't use my voice with my fiancee much anymore (unless she wants to practice lipreading, as she puts it). I prefer explaining stuff in ASL to her.

I want to learn ASL - but thing is I have a stoneage computer (WinME O/S) so the quicktime videos dont work (I have to upgrade to XP to upgrade QT)

But is there any resources out there thats got a large ASL glossary that uses a java-based video component? mpegs?

Also Id be willing to take instruction from an interpreter over the forum, Im ready to learn and Im currently in the process of finding a local ASL course that I can take at night (or during the summers)

Thanks,
Dixie

Dixie said:
I want to learn ASL - but thing is I have a stoneage computer (WinME O/S) so the quicktime videos dont work (I have to upgrade to XP to upgrade QT)

But is there any resources out there thats got a large ASL glossary that uses a java-based video component? mpegs?

Dixie, you should still be able to view quicktime movies if you've installed Apple's quicktime. Or another option is to go here for quicktime alternative that installs quicktime codec for use in windows media player.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

That website also has the codec pack I use, which includes quicktime alternative, called the K-lite mega codec pack.
GL

I installed the lastest codec avail for winME for Mozilla browser and yet it still does not play quicktime components, and I installed exactly the way it instructed. Even did a restart.

Dix

Back