Hearing Impairment Within the Kitchen Environment

DisabledDesign

Reaction score
Hi All.

I am a undergraduate student studying design at university. I am currently undertaking a project that looks at home organisation. My target market however is mainly people with different disabilities such as sight, hearing and mobility as well as mental disabilities.

My question to all of you is that if you are a carer of someone with a hearing disability or you are personally someone who suffers with this impairment are there any problems you may face when in the kitchen environment. My thoughts were on how do you know when the microwave has beeped.

Any feedback would be greatly received and even if it just an idea of something that will make someones life easier i would love to hear it.

Thanks!

Hi All.

My question to all of you is that if you are a carer of someone with a hearing disability or you are personally someone who suffers with this impairment are there any problems you may face when in the kitchen environment. My thoughts were on how do you know when the microwave has beeped.

Other people in the kitchen telling me that I am impaired or disabled. If a microwave beeps and I can't hear it, the food isn't gonna burn.

My thoughts were on how do you know when the microwave has beeped.

Thanks!

The microwave has a timer, I just stare at it until the time runs out.

Any feedback would be greatly received and even if it just an idea of something that will make someones life easier i would love to hear it.

Thanks!
I honestly can't think of something that could make my life easier when I am in my own house; my problems all arise when I am outside.

Having a disability does not mean you're stupid , you can see when the microwave stove has stopped , you don't have to hear it to know that. I can get around find in my kitchen . And I turn my HA down b/c I can't standing hearing the microwave stove beeping . I am glad to see other feel the same as I do.

For anything needing timed, I have a vibrating timer that I set. It isn't a big deal at all to know about any timer.

Even if I didn't, my dogs point out any sound that occurs.

Hi All.

I am a undergraduate student studying design at university. I am currently undertaking a project that looks at home organisation. My target market however is mainly people with different disabilities such as sight, hearing and mobility as well as mental disabilities.

Thanks!
Believe it or not, most of us are very independently functioning and have no need for a "carer."

"............someone who suffers with this impairment.........." :roll:

If this is the direction you want to take your career you should take some time and learn about the people you see as your market. Not everyone who is deaf or blind or what ever identifies themselves as handicapped or disabled and any self sufficient person is going to think you sound condescending.

I do not take offense to impairment or disability, it depends on which generation or specific approach that many may take on here. I do not say I am hearing impaired or have a disability. Although I probably should when it's necessary to explain to others. My thoughts are towards my kitchen design that came with the house we purchased. It is not typically offered for upgrades to those in need of proper set up. I prefer an open kitchen and well lit up area for multiple guest. The other thing that I believe should be looked into that has been seen on various websites are pin hole lights for the floor in the base boards in the hallways for those who don't see well, this would also be applied for anyone with out any current issues. Great for little ones at home. I also would offer that you may want to reach out to your local community for advise. I hope this helps.

I do not take offense to impairment or disability, it depends on which generation or specific approach that many may take on here. I do not say I am hearing impaired or have a disability. Although I probably should when it's necessary to explain to others. My thoughts are towards my kitchen design that came with the house we purchased. It is not typically offered for upgrades to those in need of proper set up. I prefer an open kitchen and well lit up area for multiple guest. The other thing that I believe should be looked into that has been seen on various websites are pin hole lights for the floor in the base boards in the hallways for those who don't see well, this would also be applied for anyone with out any current issues. Great for little ones at home. I also would offer that you may want to reach out to your local community for advise. I hope this helps.

I had clients that had low vision and they did not need any special lighting in their home . They had to be careful with having rugs or cords on the floor that they could trip over.

I want to get a Hearing Ear Person/carer so I know when the beep on the microwave goes off!!! I'm SO HELPLESS and impaired with not knowing when the beep on the microwave goes off!!!!!

I hate the word "hearing impaired" or "hearing impairment". Just use the word d/Deaf or Hard Of Hearing (HOH).

As for microwave oven, I could not hear the beep or the timer. I just watch the popcorn stop popping or the food that would get steam which mean it is already cook. So I just opened the microwave door. Simple. Otherwise if I don't watch the popcorn or the food, then that would get burned. That was how I learned the hard way to do that.

Hi All.

Ok, help me with leaving the water running in the sink. I'm very hearing impaired and tend to go off and do something else while the sink fills with water to wash the dishes. I get involved with whatever else that distracted me.....only to discover the water has been running and sometimes all over the floor.

Did I mention I'm hearing impaired? that means my hearing is impaired. I just don't get the fuss about not using that phrase, I use it to explain my deafness and always will!!

Ok, help me with leaving the water running in the sink. I'm very hearing impaired and tend to go off and do something else while the sink fills with water to wash the dishes. I get involved with whatever else that distracted me.....only to discover the water has been running and sometimes all over the floor.

Did I mention I'm hearing impaired? that means my hearing is impaired. I just don't get the fuss about not using that phrase, I use it to explain my deafness and always will!!

I have done this but very rarely. Once you have mopped up after it, it leads to being more careful.

What I really did want to bring up is the the "hearing impaired" part. I also wonder just what the problem is as it very clearly refers to hearing not anything else!

No need to worry about us. don't need to design for us or me. I like the way I was born Deaf and doing great .

What I really did want to bring up is the the "hearing impaired" part. I also wonder just what the problem is as it very clearly refers to hearing not anything else!

It's also a valid medical term - not sure why anyone would take that as a personal insult. In addition to being hearing impaired, I'm learning disabled as well; I wouldn't want some liberal trying to sugar coat it by calling me "intellectually challenged." Sometimes if I'm tired, I'll wear my glasses while reading - so I'm visually impaired too, another medical term that is also not an insult.

Laura

If this is the direction you want to take your career you should take some time and learn about the people you see as your market. Not everyone who is deaf or blind or what ever identifies themselves as handicapped or disabled and any self sufficient person is going to think you sound condescending.

79542436_12460_173326366335_3784682_a_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

Back