Hearing aid that recognizes sounds

ONE of the reason why I ditched my hearing aid for a new cochlear implant, is that my hearing aid causes a lot of noises caused by the machines inside (beeping, whistling etc). My hearing aid didn't like my ear, so it whistles and beep every time and my audiologist never seem to figure the actual reason why it happened. Even with hundred of replaced moles and new hearing aid itself, it doesn't fix.

Now... I definitely don't want a hearing aid that have an additional beeping noises for emergencies. I now am very happy with my new cochlear implant who don't fuss anything like hearing aid does. Some deafies with CI complain that they are hearing ringing noises, but I don't have the ringing noises. So I am thankful for that. :)

I see from the info under your avatar that you're from Canada (would not mind living there. I'm almost at the point of "anywhere but here"). Where I live in Maryland, people are very stupid and react slowly to emergency vehicles.

I've never been unaware of an approaching emergency vehicle, either, and that's because I pay attention.

Exactly, as deaf people tend to do. You see, my issue is increasing dependence on technology that fosters the sense that without it, we're helpless. We're not. And it makes me bristle when people suggest that we need more and more technology when in fact, we actually don't.

I don't care to be dependent on technology, either (in fact, I wouldn't mind living in the woods growing my own food). I just like geeking. :)

After giving it some thought, I came to conclusion maybe more HAs beeps
can be confusing instead of helpful.

perhaps a separate visual device for the car dash that recognize sirens etc and alerts us would be better?

After all a beep is just a beep - before I figure out what the beep is for,
it may be over, hmm.
and - it IS annoying, lololol
Fuzzy

Exactly, as deaf people tend to do. You see, my issue is increasing dependence on technology that fosters the sense that without it, we're helpless. We're not. And it makes me bristle when people suggest that we need more and more technology when in fact, we actually don't.

AFREAKINGMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oralis= dependance on technology.

I can't see that adding anything to my HAs (especially in terms of beeps, etc.) will help me any. All I will do is look around go "what? what was that?" I think my visual cues work best.

Alerting Devices

After giving it some thought, I came to conclusion maybe more HAs beeps
can be confusing instead of helpful.

perhaps a separate visual device for the car dash that recognize sirens etc and alerts us would be better?

After all a beep is just a beep - before I figure out what the beep is for,
it may be over, hmm.
and - it IS annoying, lololol
Fuzzy

This is one reason I am afraid to drive. I do not have HA and have no hearing remaining. I do drive extra careful the few times I have gone out alone. At one time I read something that the emergency vehicles would have a way of interupting your radios signal with a loud beep. I guess that never happened.
I would love a flashing small light to tell me when a emergency vehicle is approaching. At least for now. It may bother me later on when I get more comfortable driving though.

driving isn't about listening it's about looking and checking your mirrors...most deaf drivers are safer because they don't get distracted like hearing ppl do...

Angle, check out an auto supply store and look for the side and rear view mirrors that cover more area the the types that normally come with most cars.

FWIW, my drivers license says that my restrictions are:
corrective lenses
hearing aids OR full view mirror

I think full view mirror is what NYS calls those type of mirrors. You will probably feel more comfortable driving with those type of mirrors.

A few years back I picked up a few to use in the office. Other people could tell if someone was around by hearing them, I could tell by using my mirrors and peripheral vision. It was very handy, and helped me get along better with my managers. :)

This is one reason I am afraid to drive. I do not have HA and have no hearing remaining. I do drive extra careful the few times I have gone out alone. At one time I read something that the emergency vehicles would have a way of interupting your radios signal with a loud beep. I guess that never happened.
I would love a flashing small light to tell me when a emergency vehicle is approaching. At least for now. It may bother me later on when I get more comfortable driving though.

90% of driving is visual. As long as you keep your eyes open and always checking your side and rear view mirrors, you'll be fine. Deaf people have always had, historically, better driving records than hearing people do. Ambulances and police cars DO have flashing lights and they're very noticeable in the rear view mirror.

Isn't using a Hearing Aid or Cochlear Implant utilizing Technology? Not to be technical.

Isn't using a Hearing Aid or Cochlear Implant utilizing Technology? Not to be technical.

yes it is utilizing technology... but if you know sign, then it isn't depending on Technology. there is a difference. I would rather not have to depend on technology... (my car, my computer, lights in my house, anything) but I am fine with utilizing technology... but having to depend on it... kinda frustrates me. I am very happy that I don't have to depend on my hearing aids... that I can have a conversation without them (much more of a conversation without them) thanks to the non-technological ASL

This condition is called tinnitus and no one likes it....:roll: and it usually lasts until your ears gradually readjust to normal sound levels. :(

No. The beeping referred to in your response comes from the HA beeping to inform you the battery is low and needs to be replaced. It's an alert/alarm.

On my way to the audiologist's office today, I had an idea. What if there were a hearing aid that could recognize certain sounds, such as approaching emergency vehicle sirens, and alert the wearer in a pre-programmed way, such as (siren) = (3 low-frequency beeps)?

Would you find this useful? What other common sounds would you like to be made aware of?

It would be great, but I would think it would have a terrible time with music.

And for the oralist in you....

Because our beeps were so annoying, we decided to introduce a new kind of hearing aid. Our new hearing aids brings "The Voice of GOD". And for our first patient Timmy will now use our new hearing aid.

*cue the police siren*
"Timmy, This is GOD, there is a cop behind you, pull over now"

*cue the fire truck siren*
"Timmy, This is GOD, There is a fire truck behind you, pull over now"

Timmy was so happy with his new hearing aids and the voice of god giving him wonderful instructions that he went straight to his girl friends house and made passionate love.

"Timmy, This is GOD, Your wife is standing behind you, pull out now!!!"

No. The beeping referred to in your response comes from the HA beeping to inform you the battery is low and needs to be replaced. It's an alert/alarm.

Exactly, I've had tinnitus all my life and never once did it ever sound like beeping noises. More like the sound of wind roaring in my ears or an endless high pitch sounds but beeps? Hm...nope.

Right, DC. Looks as if some posts were removed (scammers, probably) but the original post Kimmi was responding to was in regards to low-battery-alert beeping. My tinnitus sounds nothing like beeps, either.

I'd love that
Sirens make my tinnitus go biserk, I hate it
My mum has to sign "siren" to me so that I know one's approaching and I turn my hearing aid off, still messes up my tinnitus though lol
Then again with my right hearing aid, when it bleeps 3 times when the batteries dying I can't hear it because my hearing is so bad, in my left one I can though...but I've lost my left hearing aid, ah the dilemma! Lol
x

Back