Hearing aid that recognizes sounds

audiodef

Reaction score
On my way to the audiologist's office today, I had an idea. What if there were a hearing aid that could recognize certain sounds, such as approaching emergency vehicle sirens, and alert the wearer in a pre-programmed way, such as (siren) = (3 low-frequency beeps)?

Would you find this useful? What other common sounds would you like to be made aware of?

I can identify the differences in environmental sounds with my hearing aid. It all depends on each individual.

Eh, I would be annoyed with having all those additional sounds in addition to the sounds I hear every day with hearing aids. Like shel90 said, one learns to recognize many sounds for what they are.

Who needs hearing aids for approaching sirens though? That's what the rear view mirror is for - every good driver checks the rear view mirror every minute or so. Also, it's very obvious when sirens are approaching because pedestrians always turn and look and drivers start pulling over. What I've learned over the years is to pay attention to my environment, and in fact, sometimes I am far more aware of what's gong on than the hearing people are.

I hate beeping hearing aids. Mine beeps if the battery gets low. It's really annoying if I'm trying to understand someone speaking and it beeps at the same time.

Eh, I would be annoyed with having all those additional sounds in addition to the sounds I hear every day with hearing aids. Like shel90 said, one learns to recognize many sounds for what they are.

Who needs hearing aids for approaching sirens though? That's what the rear view mirror is for - every good driver checks the rear view mirror every minute or so. Also, it's very obvious when sirens are approaching because pedestrians always turn and look and drivers start pulling over. What I've learned over the years is to pay attention to my environment, and in fact, sometimes I am far more aware of what's gong on than the hearing people are.

^^^^ That. Plus you can also see the flashing lights. The best approach is for every important signal to be given in at least two different ways.

We do the same thing for smoke alarms. At first, years ago, they only gave off a sound, but now you can get ones that also flash a light -- and those types are required in office buildings (in the US).

Another reason I think this is a better approach is because you may not always be wearing your HAs or your HAs may be broken or partially broken.

^^^^ That. Plus you can also see the flashing lights. The best approach is for every important signal to be given in at least two different ways.

We do the same thing for smoke alarms. At first, years ago, they only gave off a sound, but now you can get ones that also flash a light -- and those types are required in office buildings (in the US).

Another reason I think this is a better approach is because you may not always be wearing your HAs or your HAs may be broken or partially broken.

Also a good appraoch for hearing people wearing ear phones. My son doesn't notice my talking to him when he has his ipod on.

One response I anticipated was just what you said: "eh". ;)

I wasn't specifically thinking of driving, but now that you mention it, in fact, these days, a lot of people don't turn their heads or even get out of the way. Society is getting pretty damn numb'n'dumb. I frequently see drivers just continue driving along with a fire truck behind them trying to get around the idiot who lives in his own little world. So if deaf people have no such cues from other people, perhaps an alert system that can be embedded in hearing aids would be useful.

The ideal situation is for people to be smart (you know, ambulance drivers recognize that perhaps the reason the "idiot" in front of them isn't moving is because they just came around a corner and the driver is deaf), but intelligence is a rapidly diminishing resource in modern society.

I agree that beeps are annoying. Mine beep when the battery is low, too. It wouldn't have to be beeps, it could be something else.

Just playing around with ideas. It's a geek thing I do a lot.

One response I anticipated was just what you said: "eh". ;)

I wasn't specifically thinking of driving, but now that you mention it, in fact, these days, a lot of people don't turn their heads or even get out of the way. Society is getting pretty damn numb'n'dumb. I frequently see drivers just continue driving along with a fire truck behind them trying to get around the idiot who lives in his own little world. So if deaf people have no such cues from other people, perhaps an alert system that can be embedded in hearing aids would be useful.

most drivers and pedestrians do react - whenever there is a change in otherwise normal behaviour patterns in pedestrians and drivers, one can safely assume there's a reason for it and would look around to see what's going on. Ive never been in a situation where I didn't know there was oncoming sirens. Ever.

most drivers and pedestrians do react - whenever there is a change in otherwise normal behaviour patterns in pedestrians and drivers, one can safely assume there's a reason for it and would look around to see what's going on. Ive never been in a situation where I didn't know there was oncoming sirens. Ever.

Agreed. My experience is that its hearing people that are more likely to be oblivous to what is going on around them than D/d/hh people.

Hearing people are also more likely to be listening to their ipods or on a cell phone. I think that is OK when one is at home or in the office -- but when one is outdoors or in a public common area (the mall, public transportation etc) IMHO, its a good idea to be "present" and be aware. I think some people get bored on their commutes or walking around when they are doing errands and that is why they are always on their cells or ipods -- but I don't think its a good enough reason to put on artificial blinders so to speak.

Audiodef, did you know that when it was still legal to do so, insurance companies use to give deaf drivers lower premium rates? This was because their driving records on a whole was so much better than most hearing drivers.

<snip>

I agree that beeps are annoying. Mine beep when the battery is low, too. It wouldn't have to be beeps, it could be something else.

Just playing around with ideas. It's a geek thing I do a lot.

I'm all for alerting devices. At the moment, I'm still in favor of having them not being part of my HAs. I think, technologically, it would be an inferior approach and be more of an annoyance than an asset -- even if the alert was given tactically and not audibly.

But, this is the first time I ever thought of vibrating HAs and it did make me smile. That would require a lot more power than beeps though, so I don't think that is going to happen -- at least not for awhile. Still smiling though.

I see from the info under your avatar that you're from Canada (would not mind living there. I'm almost at the point of "anywhere but here"). Where I live in Maryland, people are very stupid and react slowly to emergency vehicles.

I've never been unaware of an approaching emergency vehicle, either, and that's because I pay attention.

Audiodef, did you know that when it was still legal to do so, insurance companies use to give deaf drivers lower premium rates? This was because their driving records on a whole was so much better than most hearing drivers.

They should still be allowed to do that. Why and when was this made illegal?

But, this is the first time I ever thought of vibrating HAs and it did make me smile. That would require a lot more power than beeps though, so I don't think that is going to happen -- at least not for awhile. Still smiling though.

I can see it now.

Deaf person: "Excuse me a moment, my hearing aid is shaking."
Hearing person: "... what!?"

I hate beeping hearing aids. Mine beeps if the battery gets low. It's really annoying if I'm trying to understand someone speaking and it beeps at the same time.

ditto. I hate the beeping when it comes on....the beeping for the dead battery is kinda cool. Additional beeping is annoying!

I can identify the differences in environmental sounds with my hearing aid. It all depends on each individual.

I drive a car and actually sometimes I miss an emergency sirens until the last moment.
Once I created an embarrassing moment for myself while driving to pick up
my daughter from school.
We were waiting for the left turn light, it finally came on but the lady before me didn't budge.
After good 10 seconds or more, I started honking at her rather angrily
as I was rather late for a pick up.

If you are late for a pick you know how awful traffic at the school can get,
you get no parking space, long line up, and all. at this particular school also turning left into the school lot was a murder.

anyhoo, I was honking at her thinking she wasn't paying attention or something and knowing the left turn light only last so long
when all of a sudden finally an ER vehicle pops up from the very left side we were supposed to turn in!, ughhhhh

to make matters worse !!!! I had to follow the lady to the very end !! -
turns out, she was picking up some student from the very same school - how embarrassing is that !?

Of course SHE could hear the sirens way before they were visible, I didn't.

So, yeah, I believe that could come handy and increase road safety.
Imagine, I would have proceeded with the left turn straight into a speeding ER truck, hmm.

Fuzzy

ditto. I hate the beeping when it comes on....the beeping for the dead battery is kinda cool. Additional beeping is annoying!

Oh yeah, me too! on the other hand, it is convenient to know it's time to change the battery,
so it's really love/hate relationship :laugh2:

Mine however I think can be programmed to not to beep,
I am not sure anymore but I think there is an option "to beep or not to beep" -
- ask your HAs supplier.

Fuzzy

They should still be allowed to do that. Why and when was this made illegal?

I'm sorry, I had misremembered what I read in Henry Kisor's autobiography called "What's That Pig Outdoors?"

I just checked, and what he actually said was:

Kisor's AutoBiography said:
... In practical terms this superior visual acuity has led some automobile insurance companies in recent years to give sizable rate discounts to deaf drivers. Because the deaf are more visually alert behind the wheel than the hearing, we tend to have fewer accidents, and thus are better insurance risks.

Hll and Wang, 1990, page 85

(Henry Kisor became deaf at the age of 3 from meningitis. He was raised orally and worked for many years as a book editor and columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times.)

It's more than 20 years since he wrote his memoirs, but perhaps some car insurance companies still have this policy.

Anyway, I'm glad you asked, because I know I have misremembered this for a long time now and occasionaly I use to mention it. Haven't been asked before though, and it really bothers me that I had spread some wrong information.

I can see it now.

Deaf person: "Excuse me a moment, my hearing aid is shaking."
Hearing person: "... what!?"

:)

I agree! My HA played music when I put it on and after awhile it drove me nuts!
I had the music shut off. I had no idea what the song was but it was music you heard in an elevator!

I agree! My HA played music when I put it on and after awhile it drove me nuts!
I had the music shut off. I had no idea what the song was but it was music you heard in an elevator!

I'll ask if they can deprogram the song the next time I have an appointment.

I drive a car and actually sometimes I miss an emergency sirens until the last moment.
Once I created an embarrassing moment for myself while driving to pick up
my daughter from school.
We were waiting for the left turn light, it finally came on but the lady before me didn't budge.
After good 10 seconds or more, I started honking at her rather angrily
as I was rather late for a pick up.

If you are late for a pick you know how awful traffic at the school can get,
you get no parking space, long line up, and all. at this particular school also turning left into the school lot was a murder.

anyhoo, I was honking at her thinking she wasn't paying attention or something and knowing the left turn light only last so long
when all of a sudden finally an ER vehicle pops up from the very left side we were supposed to turn in!, ughhhhh

to make matters worse !!!! I had to follow the lady to the very end !! -
turns out, she was picking up some student from the very same school - how embarrassing is that !?

Of course SHE could hear the sirens way before they were visible, I didn't.

So, yeah, I believe that could come handy and increase road safety.
Imagine, I would have proceeded with the left turn straight into a speeding ER truck, hmm.

Fuzzy

I can hear the sirens sometimes before the other drivers too. Like I said, it depends on each individual. My best friend who has the exact same hearing loss I have cant not indentify environmental sounds but can talk on the phone with her HAs while I cant. No anwser to that. We used to insult each other a lot about who can hear better and all that. lol

Back