Have your parents made fun of deaf???

racheleggert

Reaction score
I wonder have your parents made fun of you being deaf? like act/sign stupid like they are making no sense, doesn't sign like normal ASL/PSE and made dirty look??? Does it makes you really upset??

My parents has never made fun of me being deaf and has always been supportive and involved with the deaf community! :wave: :wave:

Although I'm HoH and can speak and hear very good...I sure can remember several times when there was a family function or a social event...there would be times when my own Dad would act like I wasn't around even when I persistently questioned about something that I missed or didn't quite hear during a group conversation...I always would feel 'left out' and thought perhaps my Dad didn't want to have to put up repeating or didn't have the 'time' for me...I'm not saying he was a 'bad' father, we were always able to do many things together...it's just that there have been times when my own hearing loss stood in the way like he hadn't fully accept it deep down even though he was able to provide for the things associated with a hearing-aid...I lost my own father 7 years ago and to this day, I often wonder what he really felt about my own hearing loss...however, I was able to 'forgiven' him no matter how I had felt through-out the years....

naw I dont think my mom would ever make fun of me due to my deafness...

if a parent does that to a child, then they aren't meant to be faithful or loveable parents, to be trusted or believed in.

My parents did that to me a few times, but I always remind tham I am an asshole raised by 2 assholes!

:rofl:

My dad has a corny sense of humor...he doesn't know a lick of sign...so he will "try" to mimic my hand movements...and he makes funny faces to go with 'em....but I have every confidence that my father would never intentionally insult a deaf person...

Malfoyish

When I was a kid sometimes I'd sit in the same room with my dad watching television then all of a sudden I hear this "hey!" "hey!" every 5 minutes for like an hour. I'd look over to my dad, but he was watching t.v. and pretending it wasn't him. It happened so much that I flipped him a bird! Of course my dad had to tell my mom on me. My mom said this is unacceptable for an 8 year old! I said, "...but ma! he's making fun of me!" Of course, who would she believe? :roll: Though dad never did it again after I gave him the finger. :mrgreen:

My dad did do something like that to me a few times. Once, my dad was pissed off at me and was yelling at me. He was yelling so loud and fast that I didn't catch what he was saying. I said, "what?" He then replied, "Wha..? Wha..? Huh...? Can't hear me? Huh...?" *pointing to his own ears like a retard*

My parents don't want me to learn sign languages because Doctor recommend them! They tell me not to learn sign because it will make me to look more handicapped!! It hurt me profoundly and it is very insult word isn't it! I forgive them.

They said nothing as I chose to sign to my children, but my parents and sisters dont know how to fingerspelling BSL. One day they saw a deaf man went beresk in the street and using sign language to the public, my parents walk pass and refused to stop and help him because they don't understand his sign language! Snob of my parents!!!

Tell u what. My grandmother told me the story I never know about my mother's haunted memories. Let me tell this.... My mother was senior at high school in Houston around 1971. She went out with her best friend and go to the resturant like burger/french fries serve there... Somehow, one Deaf guy stared at my mother. She was beautful and blond herself at that time. the gurls chat chat chat. The Deaf guy feel ready and try to make friend with my mother and ingored her best friend.
The Deaf guy tried to doing body gesture. My mother was totally overhelmed with him. So she decied to talk with her best friend. they make fun of him cuz of ASL. My mother pretend to be a Deaf herself by fake sign language. Oh my, that guy feel hurt and walked away. They laughed so hard. My mother zoomed out to her home and tell her mother (my grandmother) what happend. my grandmother told her not nice and not doing again. My mother chose ingore her advice and bring braggin herself. U know how a 17 years old girl act like that!
One and an half year later, My mother borned me but not know that I am Deaf till age 2. When my grandmother found out I am deaf by doctor's confirmed. ofc, she was upset and decided to tell my mother about my deafness. My mother freaked out and cried out loud. Reminded her about make fun of Deaf guy before. My deafness haunted her forever. My grandma told me not remind my mother about that or will be very grouchy or crazy. She hated to hear repeatly about what happened to the Deaf guy that she made fun of. Guess that mean my deafness is her karmic debt!!!
so far, my mother hasn't make fun of my sign language, deafness, and deaf culture since.

Oh Yeah... My Mother would compare me and my twin to My Hearing Sister... and She would also call us "dumb and Stupid" Or she would get mad if Me and My twin use asl on the dinner table she would tell us to speak not use asl.. But they dont talk to us either why should We use our Voice to let them know what we are talking about if they wouldnt slow down conversation for us...and She would also said Like I wish I never had you or wish you were never became deaf or she would pick Favors and Treat my sister and I differently like she would make us work harder than my other Hearing Sister she would spank and hit and beat us More. she would tell me and My sister that we don't make sense at some times.. She would say when she is yelling at us and we would say what mom? and she would say "clean your damn Ears out then you'll hear" My Mom is So Evil that I cannot Possible believe how she acts and behave. I am her daughter! and I get treat like Crap. :cry: :|

Wow Lasza what an interesting story ...
my hearing parents never made fun of me
or my other deaf siblings i have to admit
that i cannot imagine them making fun
of me or others.

Umm, my parents does sometime give me HARD TIME like "what you mean? or it does not make any sense" I was so pissed off and upset easy - later on, I come back and sign it very careful and clear then they say "OHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now i understand" :P at them. I sometimes feel shamed from them because of my deafness and speechless.

Katzie said:
When I was a kid sometimes I'd sit in the same room with my dad watching television then all of a sudden I hear this "hey!" "hey!" every 5 minutes for like an hour. I'd look over to my dad, but he was watching t.v. and pretending it wasn't him. It happened so much that I flipped him a bird! Of course my dad had to tell my mom on me. My mom said this is unacceptable for an 8 year old! I said, "...but ma! he's making fun of me!" Of course, who would she believe? :roll: Though dad never did it again after I gave him the finger. :mrgreen:

Wow!! That's champ! It reminded me one time my dad yelled at me that I am a son of a bitch. I yelled to mom, "Dad just called you a BITCH!" LOL!! Boy, my dad sure got shitfaced when mom asked him if it was true.

My hearing mother was in High School. She choice the topic for her essay to write a paper to observation various handicapped. So, she picked Deaf topic in her term paper in 1953. She visited Rhode Island School for the Deaf to meet Deaf students and teachers about perspective to the speech and oral versus sign language. My Mom becomes very fascination in sign language. She went to the Sandy Pond to swimming there with her friends. She saw my Dad with Deaf friends. My Dad has a good looking with wave brown hair, beautiful smile face and muscles in her chest and arms.

My Dad swam very fast to race with other Deaf friends. My Dad got first place. My mom stared at my Dad and follow him all over at the beach. My Mom asked my Dad, what is your name? Other Deaf friends were making fun of my Dad because he was very shy guy. One Deaf man made my Mom and Dad dating after the beach. My Dad said nahhh... Did not have a time. blach blahhhh...

Next day, my mom went to the beach to wait for my Dad... Good enough, Dad's friend showed up there. My mom approached him, where Philip is?

Know what... my grandmother forbidded my Mom dating with Deaf man. My grandmother was worried about Deaf grandchildren. Look at me... I am her Deaf granddaughter.

My Mom would NEVER dream to have a Deaf daughter as me. She taught me alot of things to give me a positive and strong attitude. My Mom realized that speech and oral does not help my academic improve. My mom accepted me for who I am.

My Mom and I were very closer relationship !! She involved many activities and support at RISD for years !!

I meet my Dad's old friend in Hartford, CT last year. That is how, I found out more about my parents. :lol:

Good Thread!

First of all I know how you all feeling after receive from your parents is unfair.

Wow Lasza & Sabrina, your story reminds me of my Dad.
Let me tell you the story about my Dad.

I (9 years old) upset my Dad after questioned him over my deafness.

Dad felt it’s his duty to tell me everything why he thinks God punished him, his siblings & his parents because they made fun of his brother (my Uncle Patrick). My Uncle went out with Deaf girl for over a year. He learned BSL from her… Unfortunately, my Grandparents disapproved of her & frightened that Patrick might have deaf babies with her because they don’t want to have disabilities grandchildren. My Dad & his siblings took Mickey mouse out of Patrick to put him off over Deaf, which it’s too much for Patrick… He broke his steady relationship with deaf girl.
My mom told Dad that she don’t think it’s the reason what he did because she got German measles when she was 3 months pregnant with me but Dad think is stay unchanged.
My parents were cried after discovered that I’m deaf when I was 1 years old. My Dad was cried & called his mother with sad new over my deafness. My Grandma was fainted with shock after received the call from my Dad in Scotland. They all started to talk about Patrick & his deaf girl etc, that’s how they felt being punished by God over that. My Grandparents (Dad’s side) went to church to ask God to forgive them for their Sin & want them to make me hear again. That situation makes them love me most. One of my Dad’s siblings (my Aunt) who married American & live in Tampa, Florida felt the same, too… She tried everything to make me hear by an ear operation in 1965 & pay everything for this (She is very wealthy woman & own computer business in States with her American husband)… Well, I’m not sure she meant about CI but my parents & grandparents rejected my Aunt’s suggestion & accept what I am because it’s God who give me deaf.
They all feel bad what they did their successful to break Patrick & his deaf girlfriend’s relationship up.
Patrick still used BSL that’s where he learned from her. They were upset when they look at Patrick talked to me with BSL. (He didn’t use full of BSL but he doing good).

Of course I taught my Dad & Uncle Brian how to use ABC….Z.

Dad still talked about this sometimes…

Other subject:
I know my parents love me but in their different way… They are not patience with me sometimes…They get my 1 year younger sister to translate for me which it’s not right… because it’s them who should to learn to know me… As you see that I came home on school vacation 4 times a year… I felt that they are too lazy… Of course they neglected me a lot when they made the conversation with my Siblings etc. I forgive my parents already at long time ago. It’s sad that I have no love feeling for them because I wish I could love them like anyone to their parents. I learn to love my Dad bit…

Last edited:
Deaf258 said:
Wow!! That's champ! It reminded me one time my dad yelled at me that I am a son of a bitch. I yelled to mom, "Dad just called you a BITCH!" LOL!! Boy, my dad sure got shitfaced when mom asked him if it was true.

Deaf258: ROTF....... good comeback!

Twinies: Whoa! That's some fucked up shit. Sad that your mom isnt so enlightened about your deafness... pls dont think it makes you 2 less special than your hearing sister!

All: Wow that is sad when your parents have mocked others or you because of your deafness. My parents have never made fun of my deafness. Guess they dealt with it their own ways... some of them I don't agree with, like keeping their distance and focusing more on other hearing siblings altho we're all "better" now. :)

Last edited:
I do remember one time , my Real Mom was at my first son's birthday party and I was only 19 years old almost 20......It was the first time I ever cook on a birthday party and surely made a nice dinner.....well, I was cooking potatoes and my mom came in the kitchen and said ' the potatoes were done ' while I was cutting up the ham and I told her ' I know theyre done but wanted the potatoes to stay hot while I was finish cutting the ham and putting rolls into the oven then I would take care of the potatoes '.....My real mom suddenly said ' U don't know how to cook , Ure going to burn it Stupid '...I was numb and speechless to hear my real mom had to say this in front of the entire family and even in front of my 1 year old son....I just turned my head away and wouldn't say anything else to her and tried so hard to hold in my tears so I wouldn't cry in front of anyone ....but, it didn't happen I ran in the bathroom and locked myself in there and just cried and cried.....I could not believe my mom wouldn't be nice just for One Day!....That's all I ever wanted!...I guess it was too hard for her to do that! :confused:

Last edited:
Back