Have you failed at cooking shows directions?

H.o.H_Angel

Reaction score
:wave: I haven't wrote in ASL in few months, so I'm going to write this in ASL.

I watching food network. I don't know if you watch food network, or if you know chef Anne something. She has white hair that's really wild. She adds a lot salt in her food. She teach how make restaurant style grilled cheese that day I watch. She cut provolone cheese, put toothpicks in bread with cheese to hold together. She dipped in egg then deep fried. She made look easy. I thought I can do that. I tried do same I failed. :giggle: My bread got soggy. Broke first minute in pan. rofl :laugh2: How do you make grilled cheese or have you tried make something from food show that didn't work? Let me know.

You have to understand, what they do on a cooking show is for appeal not instruction. They only have a certain amount of time to prepare and present the food so they cut corners. Additionally, if you have not mastered basic things like judging how hot a pan is or the amount of time at a certain temperature to cook you food is not going to turn out the same.

If I were you, I would go to the show's web site and get the full recipe.

Here is the best way I've found to make non-fancy plain grilled cheese. The problem with making a good grilled cheese is making the cheese melt before you burn the bread. To get around this put the cheese in the bread and put that in the microwave. Nuke it for about 12 seconds(or more), just enough to make the cheese partially melt, don't want it to melt all the way. Then add butter to a skillet, place the sandwich in it and brown the bread on both sides.

For Italian Grilled Cheese, do the same thing, but put a slice of tomato and some oregano in between the cheese slices first.

I have a special pan called a grilled cheese griddle. I spray it with a non stick canola oil spray, and preheat the burner to medium. Then I put very soft Smart Balance margarine on the outside of both bread slices, lowfat sharp cheddar thin slice in the middle, and grill three minutes per side.

Never fails, and it is better than any restaurant.

@Vacationguy Funny thing, I know how to cook. But, when I saw her she made it look so good. Very stretchy. Also, she made baked claims? I don't know what that is. I know it's seafood. I just don't know what baked claims taste like.. I will go to the site find better recipes. Thank you though.

@Bottesini I thought that said you had a mcgriddle haha. Oh but be careful with smart butter's. I can't believe it's not butter has more salt in it I think. I can't remember what the back said. We stopped buying that butter when we saw the nutrition on the back.

I'm the cook in the family here. I noticed that many things on show is impossible in short amount of time - but if that is taken in consideration - then you can comment on food creativity and flavors that matches. I dont cook like that - I like to melt flavors, carmalize sugars or pull out sugars from starches. I am pretty sure that somethings are just prepared ahead of time - but you cant tell when they pull out the ingredients as they go.

After cooking for awhile - and for others - I noticed a pattern. Its who you are and what you like that defines you as a cook. You just need to know what you like and try new things and watch what you change in recipes that fits your tastes or needs. I do that all the time. I dont pity my kids - but 9 times out of 10, I pull out a winner, but they are pretty good at trying new things and being honest and say what they dont like and maybe tell me what's missing or too much of. usually I will try again before abandon it due to type of things that go in that recipe that doesn't fit their personalities ..

that being said- dont give up -- analyze your technique- then analyze your timing.

You have to understand, what they do on a cooking show is for appeal not instruction. They only have a certain amount of time to prepare and present the food so they cut corners. Additionally, if you have not mastered basic things like judging how hot a pan is or the amount of time at a certain temperature to cook you food is not going to turn out the same.

If I were you, I would go to the show's web site and get the full recipe.

Here is the best way I've found to make non-fancy plain grilled cheese. The problem with making a good grilled cheese is making the cheese melt before you burn the bread. To get around this put the cheese in the bread and put that in the microwave. Nuke it for about 12 seconds(or more), just enough to make the cheese partially melt, don't want it to melt all the way. Then add butter to a skillet, place the sandwich in it and brown the bread on both sides.

For Italian Grilled Cheese, do the same thing, but put a slice of tomato and some oregano in between the cheese slices first.
I agree with you.

If I see something that looks good on television, I usually look it up on their website for more information to see if it's worth cooking on my own. Sometimes, the show makes it look easy... while it's actually very difficult in reality.

cheese in mico wave????????????????taste look like glupe..
i watch cook programe make top food in 10mins,that load of crock took me hours

:wave: I haven't wrote in ASL in few months, so I'm going to write this in ASL.

I watching food network. I don't know if you watch food network, or if you know chef Anne something. She has white hair that's really wild. She adds a lot salt in her food. She teach how make restaurant style grilled cheese that day I watch. She cut provolone cheese, put toothpicks in bread with cheese to hold together. She dipped in egg then deep fried. She made look easy. I thought I can do that. I tried do same I failed. :giggle: My bread got soggy. Broke first minute in pan. rofl :laugh2: How do you make grilled cheese or have you tried make something from food show that didn't work? Let me know.

That sound GROSS to me! What is with people that they have deep fried everything today? I bet some people would deep fried water it they could!

I have a special pan called a grilled cheese griddle. I spray it with a non stick canola oil spray, and preheat the burner to medium. Then I put very soft Smart Balance margarine on the outside of both bread slices, lowfat sharp cheddar thin slice in the middle, and grill three minutes per side.

I have my mom old fashion grilled cheese griddle and is has a really old plug that all worned out . It uses to work really good.

I agree with you.

If I see something that looks good on television, I usually look it up on their website for more information to see if it's worth cooking on my own. Sometimes, the show makes it look easy... while it's actually very difficult in reality.

Not only that, chefs like Gaida De Laurentis, whom I love to watch cook and certainly is a master chef, do not eat their own meals.

I try to take things that she cooks with a low fat twist. It's fun and a challenge, but you can't expect it to taste the same.

The goal of any cooking show is to make you enjoy watching the cooking show not to teach you how to cook. In the past those shows tried to, but today it is all about entertainment.

they like deep fried mars bars in scotland..
i love master chef,imagination to do that sort of stuff....australian master chef that need stanima

ever watch Masterchef? or MKR? contest cooking, that's revealing stuff

That sound GROSS to me! What is with people that they have deep fried everything today? I bet some people would deep fried water it they could!
Fried foods are popular at state fairs.

At the Texas State Fair, they have fried Snickers, fried bacon, fried Oreos, fried cheesecake, fried Frito pie, fried gum, fried Snickers, fried whatever... :)

That sounds yummy!

I do not have a grilled cheese griddle, but I do like to use nice breads and cheeses. French bread is great, and cheddars, colby, goudas, etc.

Not only that, chefs like Gaida De Laurentis, whom I love to watch cook and certainly is a master chef, do not eat their own meals.

I try to take things that she cooks with a low fat twist. It's fun and a challenge, but you can't expect it to taste the same.

The goal of any cooking show is to make you enjoy watching the cooking show not to teach you how to cook. In the past those shows tried to, but today it is all about entertainment.
Yeah. If I were to watch a cooking show, I would rather it be something where a challenge is involved.

I like to watch shows like Hell's Kitchen, Quantum Kitchen, Cake Boss, Iron Chef, etc.

It's interesting to see how they compete or come up with interesting ideas for their food/cake. :)

I like to watch cooking shows to get some fresh ideas for meals. I have never cooked anything from the shows but I sometimes take their flavour combinations and play with those. One of my favourite food shows is Diners, Drive-ins and Dives ... it always makes me crave whatever they are having, even if I would not normally like it haha!

I like to watch cooking shows to get some fresh ideas for meals. I have never cooked anything from the shows but I sometimes take their flavour combinations and play with those. One of my favourite food shows is Diners, Drive-ins and Dives ... it always makes me crave whatever they are having, even if I would not normally like it haha!

Hahaha, Guy Fieri is awesome. I love watching that show. Not only because of the variety of bizzare/delicious looking foods but also because of different locations/history behind it. It's what hooks me in.

I, too, like watching cooking shows but, if I wanna cook, I tend to do better by following the whole recipe or recipes that I know by heart. Sometime, I like to experiment by throwing new spices in.

Back