Have you ever visited Martha's Vineyard?

If you really want to read an authoritative book on the subject of the Martha’s Vineyard colony, read Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness on Martha's Vineyard by Nora Groce. At times it can be dull and tedious reading, though. Lots of boring statistical charts and info, etc. But it is worth reading if you are interested in the subject.

Oliver Sacks, the neurologist who is famous for treating victims of encephalitis lethargica with levodopa in the 1960’s, developed an intense interest in Deaf culture after being exposed to Harlan Lane’s works. (Oliver Sacks is the person who Robin Williams played in the movie Awakenings). He subsequently traveled to Martha’s Vineyard and talked to some of the colony’s descendants. He wrote a fascinating book titled Seeing Voices. One third of the book is devoted to his experiences on Martha’s Vineyard. Another third of the book is a neurologist’s perspective on how the brains of Deaf people are different from those of hearing people. The final third of the book is a lengthy essay on the DPN incident. It’s definitely one of the most interesting books about cultural Deafness ever written.

Yea I have that information and that is why I posted it for 2 days in a row. So there is 2 pages for me to go. :D

Continue ---> page 3

This woman then described how one taught her son, now in his late seventies, how to speak the language:
When my son was perhaps three years old, I taught him to say in sign language "the little cat and dog and baby." This woman who was deaf, he used to like to go down to our little general store and see people come and go. One day when I went down there, I took my son there and I said to him, "Go over and say "how-do-you-do to Mr. T., " the deaf man. So he went right over and then I told him to tell Mr. T, so and so - a cat, a dog, and whatever. And wasn't Mr. T. tickled! Oh, he was so pleased to know a little bit of a boy like that was telling him all those things, and so he just taught my son a few more words. That's how he learned. That's how we all learned.

Particularly, in the western secion of the island, if an immediate member of the family was not deaf, a neighbor, firiend, or close relative of a friend was likely to be. Practicalllly all my "up island" informants above the age of seventy remembered signs, a good indication of the extent to which the langauge was known and used. In this section, and to a lesser extent in the other villages on the island, sign language formed an intergal part of all communications. For example, all in the formants remembered the deaf participating freely in discussions. One remarked: IF there were several people present and there was a deaf man or wman in the crowd, he'd take upon himself the discussion of anthing jokes or news or anything like that. They always had s part in it, they were never excluded.

As in all New England communnicaties, gathering around the potbellied stove or on the front porch of what served as a combination general store and post office provided a focal point for stories, news, and gossip. Many of the people I have talked to distincly remember the deaf member of the community in the is situation. As one man recalled:

We woudl sit around and wait for the mail to come in and just talk. And the deaf would be there, everyone would be there. And they were part of the crowd, and they were accepted. They were fishermen and farmers and everthing else. And they wanted to find out the news just as much as the rest of us. And oftentimes people would tell stories and make signs at the same times so everyone could follow him to gether. OF course, sometimes, if there were more deaf then hearing there, everyone would speak sign language - just to be polite, you know.

The use of sings ws not confirned to small group discussion. It also found its way into assembled crowds. For exxample, one gentleman told me:

They would come to prayer meetings most all of them were regular church people, you know. They would come when pople offered testimonials , and they woudl get up in front of the audience and stand there and tive a whole lecture in sign. No one transslated it to the audience because everyone kenw what they were saying. And if there was anyone who missed something somewhere, somebody sitting near them would be able to thell them about it.

The deaf were so integral a part of community that at town meetings up island, a hearing person would stand at the side of the hall and cue the deaf in sign to let them know what vote was coming to next, thus allowing them to keep right on top of things. The participation of the deaf in all day to day work and play situation contrasted with the manner in which those handicapped by deafness were generally treated in the United States during the same time period.

Sign language on the island was not restricted to these occasions when deaf and hearing were together, but was used on a regular basis between the heating as well. For example, sign language was used on boats to give commands and among fishermen out in open water to discuss their catch. I was told:

Fishermen hauling pots outside in the Sound or off Gay Head, When they would be heaven knows how far apart, would discuss how the luck was running all that sort of thing. These men could talk and hear all right, but it'd be too far to yell.

Indeed, signs were used any place the distance prohabited talking in a normal voice. For example, one man remembered:

Jim had a shop down on the shore of Tisbury Pond, and his house was a ways away, up on the high land. When Trudy, his wife, wanted to tell Jim something, she'd come to the door, blow fishhorn, and Jim would step outside, He'd say, "Excuse me, Trudy wants me for something", then she'd make a signs to tell him what she needed done.

On those occasions when speaking was out of place, such as in church, school, or at some public gatherings, the hearing communicated through signs. Such stories as the following are common: "Ben adn his brother could both talk and hear, but I've seen them sitting across from each other in town meetings or in church and telling other funny stories in sign language."

Island people frequently maintained socail distance and a sense of distinct identily in the presence of tourists by exchanging comments about them in sign language. the occurrence of what linguists call code switching from speech to sign also seems to been used to certain instances. For example, I was told:

People would start off a sentence in speaking and then finsih it off in sign language, especially if they were saying something dirty. The punch line would often be in sign language. IF there was a bunch of guys standing around the general store telling a (dirty) story and a woman walked in they'd turn away from her and finish the story in sign language.

Continue tmw for the last page ---->

Man, plenty of ingredients for a bad-assed novel, hmmmm......

oakbluffs said:
Martha's Vineyard is an island off Massachusetts. It's a beautiful place. The island is used to be full of deaf people. At one point, every 1 in 15 island residents was deaf. Martha's Vineyard is the birthplace of American Sign language.

There actually was such a place once. It was an isolated island off the Massachusetts coast - Martha's Vineyard. Some early Vineyard settlers carried a gene for deafness (the first known deaf one was Jonathan Lambert, 1694), and over years of marriage, generation after generation was born with hearing loss. At one point, one in four children was born deaf! There were so many deaf people on the Vineyard (most deaf lived in Chilmark) that residents developed a sign language, Martha's Vineyard Sign Language (MVSL). MVSL later merged with mainland signs to form American Sign Language.

It is interesting about the history.

Here are link:

http://www.marthasdirect.com/deafness/community.html

http://www.tufts.edu/as/wright_cent...rd 2 10.pdf

Continue and last page --->

Perhaps the following anecdote best illustrates the unique way island sign language was integral to all aspecyts of life:

My mother was in the New Bedford hospital-had an operation-and father went over in his boat and lived aboard his boat and went to the hospital to see her every night. Now the surgeon where he left him in her room, said they mustn't speak, father couldn't say a word to her. So he didn't. But they made signs for about half an hour and mother got so worked up, they had to send father out, wouldn't let him stay any longer.

Sign language or rather sing languges-for even within this country there exist a number of distric languages and dialects-are languages in their own right system of communition different from the spoken languages used by hearing members of the same community. It has often been noted that American Sign Language introduced in America in 1817. The date from Martha's Vineyard, however clearly support the hypothesis, made by the linguist James Woodward, that local sign language syste were in use in America long before this. By 1817 (the year the American School for the Deaf was founded in Hartford, Connecticut), deaf individuals on Martha's Vineyard had been actively participating in island society for well over a century. Because they were on an equal fotting, socially and economically, with the hearing memebers of the communicty, and because they held town offices, married, raised families, and left legal and personal documents, there must have existed some sort of sign language system that allowed full comminication with family, firends and neighbors.

It may prove difficult to recontruct the original sign language system used on the island during they seventeenth and eighteenth centuried, but study of this question is currently under way. Whatever the exact nature of the orignal language, we know that it later grew to acquire many aspects of the more widely used American Sign Language, as increasing numbers of deaf island children were sent to the school in Harford during the nineteenth century. this combination of the indigenous sign system with the more standardized American Sign Language seems to have produced a sign language that was, in many respects, unique to the island of Martha's Vineyard. The most common remark made by islanders who still remember the language is that they find it very difficult or are completly unable to understand the sign language spoken by off-islanders or the translations for the deaf that are beginning to be seen on television.

The use of the sign language as an active system of communication lessened as the number of individuals in the comminity with hereditary deafness gradually disappeared, the last few dying in the 1940's and early 1950's. The decrease in the number of deaf can be attributed to a shift in marriage patterns that began in the latter part of the nineteenth century, when both hearing and deaf islanders began to marry off islanders. the introdction of new genes into the once small gene pool has reduced the chance of a reappearance of "island deafness".

As the number of islanders born deaf dwindled, younger generations no longer took an interest in learning sign language, and the older generations rarely had the need to make use of it. Today, very few people are left who can speak the langauge fluently, although bits and pieces of it can be recalled by several dozen of the oldest islanders. A few signs are still kept alieve amon those who knew the language and on a few of their fishing boats. As one gentleman well along in his seventies told me recently:

You know strangely enough, there's still vestiges of that left in the older families around here. Instinctively you make some such movement, and it means something to you, but it doesn't mean anything to the one you're talking to.

The End!!!!!!!!!!

Awwww, keep going!
All kidding aside, I have learned quite a bit from this thread, thank you Pommy, and I still want to see that place.

Yeah, good postings thanks too (hey, I cannot
remember whats his/her name the last deaf resident
of Martha Vineyard....)
:thumb:

Back