Hate new cars

And you forgot I was a Machinist...lol
Micrometer..you can measure to 1000th of an inch, used for figuring clearances for cam/crank journals or thicknesses.

I can feel your pain with auto trans, rather just buy one rebuilt at a shop and trade a core...lol
Torque wrenches are just that, torquing bolts to lb/in, do you have a 1/4" torque wrench for in/lb?

So we are in the same boat on mechanical knowledge, I am refering to wire shorts hidden in the dash, always a pain in the arse and really never found... even had shops that never could find them, even after replacing the wire harnesses. Electrical is simple on older cars, newer cars are more complicated with all the added electronic gadgets like steering wheel controls for radio, ect...heads up display...all the more wiring.

That's pretty cool you was for machinist. NO, I don't forget. I just don't know that. Don't have 1/4" and just ft lbs only. Don't needs that for heavy duty diesel motor that I recall so far. If happen then I can borrow it from someone but rare happen. Used borrow it from someone for gasoline motor.

Yes, Electrical troubleshooting are very hard and depend on people's skill . I remember my old coworker spend 2 hours to try fixed the RGN's overload strobe. He replaced the new 7 pins plugs, switch, and some wires. He got angry and gave up then asked me to took his RO and I asked him and he told me that it got hot wire ON but no strobe on with his test light. So I used my DMM and I found that it got OPEN ground and I rewired it in 5 minutes. It was not that hard for me. OH poor him. My father taught me electrical when I was around 12 years old. He is electrical engineering for over 35 years.

I still don't understand that you HATE Japanese so much but you love Europe. Funny thing, Mostly Europe vehicles are more complex than American and Japanese for electrical even it's 80's. Mostly Europe vehicles use ETC (Electronic throttle control) since 80's. Again, USE electrical diagram so you will figure it out and take a times.

I've owned 3 of those. a 1988 Chevy Blazer, a 1989 GMC Jimmy and a 2003 Chevy Blazer which is my current truck. They tow well we used to pull a dual axle race car trailer loaded with a toyota celica stock 4 dirt track race car with the GMC Jimmy.

Yes, Blazers are best for towing because it use frame body. I remember video about Safelty crash test on Blazer from high school and Blazer can crush on the driver's foot. (OUCH!) Also teacher said it was bad body design, Not because of type of metal or years or USA/China. It was interesting.

depending on the accident, no seatbelts and airbags...how much simpler you want?

Okay, That's what I learned from college and he said unibody got crashed/fold easier than frame body as SHOULD BE. Why? Because the engine go hit on the ground OR can't push engine around. If frame body then engine can push to steering wheel easy then kill to driver or serious injury.
highlander why are ford mustangs and pintos... any early fords for that matter so damn dangerous? What was the quick fix from ford for this...NO CHEATING WITH GOOGLE.

No clue about Pintos. Because it's Ford? :giggle: Probably bad body design.

My pictures are useless to you, because youre an ass.
Just drive and work on your moneymakers. Thats what it boils down to..
you are a pro in what you do, I am a pro in what I enjoy. done deal.

No jerk necessary. I just want to see a pictures about new vs old for crash. I do know about Baja, It's boxer with air-cooling. Most people swaped it with Subaru's EJ20 or EJ25 because of fuel efficient and less pollution. Did you know that air-cooling are high pollution than liquid-cooled. Plus air-cooling got overheat so easy if IDLE too long or drive too SLOW on the bad traffic but I am not SURE if Baja have fan or not. It's happen to my motorcycle with liquid-cooled.

This is Subaru EJ20.
IMG_1442.jpg

Last edited:
I might be off topic here but have you ever driven behind a car with a bad catalytic converter?.....smells like rotten eggs, burns your eyes and throat. This was in the early 1980's. I had a Chevy Chevette, first brand new car. In the shop constantly, finally had to sell it.

BURN my EYES,throat and cough painful BADLY when I racing with my old coworker who use the straight pipe.

I didn't recall about bad catalytic converter.

It seems like some people have good reason to remove the catalytic converter and replace with straight pipe.

It will going fail in Texas due to emission inspection (in larger metro) and safety inspection (not know if they could find out that car come with no catalytic converter).

It's illegal to use straight pipe on the street. Only for off-road.

Last edited:
I didn't recall about bad catalytic converter.

It seems like some people have good reason to remove the catalytic converter and replace with straight pipe.

It will going fail in Texas due to emission inspection (in larger metro) and safety inspection (not know if they could find out that car come with no catalytic converter).

If CAT (catalytic converter) got removed then engine check will stay light on all times and use scan tool and it will tell you that oxygen sensor(s) are failed.

Also, I forget what call of tool that tech can put the sensor in the muffler and read pollution meter. I took that ONCE at college and I forget so easy because here area don't need emissions testing.

Today's diesel trucks require DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) to control diesel emissions.

In California...

On-Road Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicles (In-Use) Regulation

Trucks must have this on the drivers side:

m-californiacertifiedcleanidlesticker-southlandintl-cr-eel-1.jpg

Many companies are scrapping older trucks to meet California laws and have to have this clean diesel engine sticker like above. Other state truckers that do not have the such sticker are not allowed to enter California I think.

Correct, In fact, DEF are MUCH better than EGR. From my old job. Almost 100 brand new Peterbilt got recalled because too many EGR cooling gasket got failed. Mostly drivers complained that coolant got low so quick but can't find the leak. So I used coolant pressure gauge and it dropped 15 PSI in around 5 minutes and wrote down the RO then send it to dealership for recall. I think Peterbilt's warranty is 300,000 miles.

Last edited:
Several cars and trucks without catalytic converter isn't going see any difference with pollution, but remove catalytic converter from all cars and trucks are going make a huge difference. I know some people removed catalytic converter and replaced with straight pipe, but it probably won't pass the emission inspection in some metro.

Straight pipe yes I've seen that done the GMC Jimmy I used to own had a straight pipe on it when I bought it I had to put one on to pass inspection so I ended up replacing everything from where the pipes come together back ... but have heard that some still bypass the catalytic converter they ream the guts out of it and put a straight pipe THROUGH it then put it back on.

I might be off topic here but have you ever driven behind a car with a bad catalytic converter?.....smells like rotten eggs, burns your eyes and throat. This was in the early 1980's. I had a Chevy Chevette, first brand new car. In the shop constantly, finally had to sell it.

My stepmom used to have a mustang that did that by the time we got home everyone gagging from the rotten egg smell.

Oh Citation? Yes, my ex roommate had one, had his engine blow up. He think it is financially sound to replace the engine than to replace whole car. He learn that major mistake! I warned him NOT worth to replace engine. He didn't believe me, so he go ahead. Guess what happened after done with engine replacement that cost him $2,500 or something like that? 3 months after, he was in middle of three car accident, his car with new engine in it became totalled. Insurance company don't give a damn if customer just had replace the engine, gave him the check of $800 dollars based on book value PLUS took his car away. He was so pissed off and tried to fought with them but end up gave up. He told me he regretted for not listen to me. He realized that if had replaced the vehicle, instead of engine, he would have save money that way.

And YES! It depends on who built the vehicle, it is all engineers, programmers, production workers, and the quality of materials they use and how they process them. I thought GM S series truck were the best, but I found myself DEAD wrong! I had 83 S-15 and that one was one of my best vehicle I ever own. I got 95 S-10 and S-15... yes two trucks, both have their engine and tranny blew less than 8 months! No warranty and I was so pissed off and found out the flaw of their design. I end up bought Jeep Wrangler with 4.0L, then Ford F-250 only to find out flaw in engine design and there is no way to fix it (Long story and why) I end up got Ford Excursion with legendary 7.3L engine which has better engine design... You guessed it right, it was different engineer team with 7.3L and 6.0L and those who design 6.0L has to be one of idiots! I was looking for engine that is known to last forever. Like Jeep 4.0L, Ford 7.3L, Chevy 350CID, and 308CID

Also, sometimes government is part of blame, government knew it, and to average joe, it is mistake, to them it is politics. For instance, government made it mandatory that auto maker can not use lacquer paint, required them to use environment friendly paint during 80s, have you recall how bad paint job it was? Just like my ex F-250 with 6.0L where EPA put pressure on to improve emission on Diesel engine causing two engineer team (Ford AND Navistar) made design flaws on 6.0L. Honestly, I do miss the power and torque on 6.0L and could have keep it if I have deep pocket. I hate to say, stay away from 6.0L or 6.4L Diesel engine. For Ford, get 7.3L or if you can afford maintenance cost, then get 6.7L. However, if you are DYI like myself, 7.3L is way to go. Much easier to work on, less EPA BS, less electronic BS or want NO Electronic BS, then it would be first generation of 6.9L/7.3L IDI, not 7.3L DI like mine.

To the environment lovers, quit blame bunch of guys like us that don't give a damn about emission, know why? There are other countries that are worst of the worst with pollution, like China, eh? There are countries that STILL allows leaded gas, Mexico and south America still allow leaded gas. The truth is the rest of us (Who don't give a damn about emission) are much much smaller than other countries.

Thank God, I don't have catalytic converter on my truck!:naughty:

Exactly, It's all on the design, Not just years.

That's why I let my old car go. It got water pump failed and needs to replaced the new belt timing, water pump, idle pully, coolant, blah and cost around $300 for just parts. I checked kbb.com and my car's value was $900. So I send it to scrapped and I got $300 cash and buy a brand new car in same time. I had no choose and can't wait because VERY HARD to find 5 doors with 6 speed manual transmission and can't afford to missed the new job. So I love my new car and it got around 41 MPG so easy when long drive to Chicago with my wife and three large dogs in the car. Oh yeah, 5 doors are more room than crap 4 doors for three large dogs as three chairs fold down also easy room for my toolbox or loan large tools.

Straight pipe yes I've seen that done the GMC Jimmy I used to own had a straight pipe on it when I bought it I had to put one on to pass inspection so I ended up replacing everything from where the pipes come together back ... but have heard that some still bypass the catalytic converter they ream the guts out of it and put a straight pipe THROUGH it then put it back on.

My stepmom used to have a mustang that did that by the time we got home everyone gagging from the rotten egg smell.

So your stepmom don't give a damn about everyone's gagging and don't bother send it to shop for install the CAT back or WHAT? :giggle:

And so is the forest fires, average forest fires polluted much worse than entire automobile emission in USA.

forest fire is a natural occurrence and a natural pollution thus can be broken down naturally and cleanly... man-made pollution is laden with harmful chemical, does not break down cleanly, and is harmful to pretty much all living things on Earth.

for ie - CFC chemical is a man-made pollution and extremely destructive to ozone layer.

Today's diesel trucks require DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) to control diesel emissions.

In California...

On-Road Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicles (In-Use) Regulation

Trucks must have this on the drivers side:

m-californiacertifiedcleanidlesticker-southlandintl-cr-eel-1.jpg

Many companies are scrapping older trucks to meet California laws and have to have this clean diesel engine sticker like above. Other state truckers that do not have the such sticker are not allowed to enter California I think.

What? I know nothing about it cuz I'm a gasoline powered mechanic. Also I have not hear any news for diesel powered vehicles from BAR, wants to check out it later.

LOL well the pic of baja you posted has a water cooled motor in it, there is no fan shroud or generator tower ( generator actually holds the fan ) but cool setup there.
Dont know where you got I like europe or Jap? Im a Chevy guy mostly.
* Note on old fords: the 1960's+ Ford mustangs, pintos and maverics...ect. They had the fuel tanks mounter in the rear of the cars, the top of the tank was actually the bottom of the trunk floor. Now, they were prone to rupturing in a rear ended crash, and being the trunk was basically opened to the passenger compartment as only the back seat covered it, alot of people died from being burned to death. Ford later made a plate that could be purchased and screwed over the opening behind the seat and then the seat replaced. It didnt stop the ruptured tanks but it did stop gas from getting into the passenger compartment to an extent. Think how many are still on the road that havent been fixed yet.

LOL well the pic of baja you posted has a water cooled motor in it, there is no fan shroud or generator tower ( generator actually holds the fan ) but cool setup there.
Dont know where you got I like europe or Jap? Im a Chevy guy mostly.
* Note on old fords: the 1960's+ Ford mustangs, pintos and maverics...ect. They had the fuel tanks mounter in the rear of the cars, the top of the tank was actually the bottom of the trunk floor. Now, they were prone to rupturing in a rear ended crash, and being the trunk was basically opened to the passenger compartment as only the back seat covered it, alot of people died from being burned to death. Ford later made a plate that could be purchased and screwed over the opening behind the seat and then the seat replaced. It didnt stop the ruptured tanks but it did stop gas from getting into the passenger compartment to an extent. Think how many are still on the road that havent been fixed yet.

(sigh) The Baja you posted a picture made from Volkswagen which it's German vehicle and you said it's my toy. That's mean you like Europe vehicle. I never said you like Japanese, I said you HATE Japanese vehicles and why?

Dude, I know a lot about EJ20 and EJ25 because I owned them before. Someday, I really want to own EE20. It's diesel motor and much less electronic than gasoline motor and almost 40% more MPG than gasoline. Yes, I knew they use liquid-cooled. I said, I am not sure about Baja's VW motor use FAN or not since it's use air-cooling

This is EE20.
subaru-diesel-engine-ee20-usa.jpg

If you really HATE electronic then why you don't get Cummin 5.9 with fuel injection mechanical (1998 or older) ? No electronic at all but just starter and alternator. That's it. That's mean alternator got failed then no power for headlight and radio but Cummin 5.9 with fuel injection mechanical still running and go to home without a problem as don't turn engine off or you won't turn engine on when battery died. Cummin 5.9 may last around 800,000 miles or more to overhaul. I would to buy it after payment pay off on my car and get used truck for home improvement and snow.

Ah Ford, Blame to bad design for 60's. No one perfect. Thank you for the sharing.

Last edited:
BURN my EYES,throat and cough painful BADLY when I racing with my old coworker who use the straight pipe.

It's illegal to use straight pipe on the street. Only for off-road.

Illegal? Only California and some larger cities in US that have mandatory emission inspection (Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, NoVA, Phoenix, etc).

At federal level - unenforceable.

If CAT (catalytic converter) got removed then engine check will stay light on all times and use scan tool and it will tell you that oxygen sensor(s) are failed.

Also, I forget what call of tool that tech can put the sensor in the muffler and read pollution meter. I took that ONCE at college and I forget so easy because here area don't need emissions testing.

Some people managed to turn the engine check off by modify the oxygen sensor.
Removing the catalytic converter(s) to improve fuel economy.... does it work? Fitch Fuel Catalyst? - AR15.COM

Illegal? Only California and some larger cities in US that have mandatory emission inspection (Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, NoVA, Phoenix, etc).

At federal level - unenforceable.

Are Straight Pipes Illegal? - Ask.com

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090624012258AAPOuFU

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070915120000AALoSY2

Plus drivers can report to police with license plate number for complained about burn eyes or cough so badly from someone without CAT or bad CAT due health RISK.

Yes, I noticed LA is very dirty air while SF area is better. Central California is also dirtier too because the mountain is blocking the winds from the Pacific to blow dirty air away.

yep. same thing for Mexico City. It's surrounded by mountains on all sides and the sky gets polluted quite easily during daytime and it slowly clears out at night time.

Do you have any idea to solve the pollution issue to protect the health without catalytic converter?

Several cars and trucks without catalytic converter isn't going see any difference with pollution, but remove catalytic converter from all cars and trucks are going make a huge difference. I know some people removed catalytic converter and replaced with straight pipe, but it probably won't pass the emission inspection in some metro.

Thanks for info about diesel trucks. :)

local pollution laws. revised traffic laws based on time and day. better traffic system. better mass transit system.

local pollution laws. revised traffic laws based on time and day. better traffic system. better mass transit system.

and clean fuel too.

If we could turn dirty gas into clean gas so no more catalytic converter.

Back