Gym Rats: how do i tone my legs and stomach?

Mintee

Reaction score
i'm thin (at healthy weight) but i would like to get legs and stomach like this

what type of work out do i need to do to achieve that? i don't want to end up muscular or anything- just toned but feminine and soft at the same time

thanks

You cannot have a trim fit body if you are over weight. You can exercise the muscles, but they will just harden under the fat. Also, where your body stores fat is a factor.

Having said that, nutrition is 80% of an exercise regime so you need to focus a lot on what you eat, first. I would get a cook book that focuses on your preferred eating style whether it be vegan or low fat, etc. Personally, I use the Body for Life cook book and I'm also looking into the Mario Lopez cookbook. In my opinion, books written by men or women are basically the same. You should cut out processed foods and pre-made meals and stick to fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats, lean poultry and fish. For fat(natural fat everyone needs) use almonds and Extra Virgin Olive oil and smart balance butter.

As for exercise, you should run to tone your legs and do crunches for your stomach. Work up to three sets of 100, 50 and 50. Stay away from exercises that are bad for your back and gimmick machines.

She just said in her post that she is thin. That>>
>>>You cannot have a trim fit body if you are over weight. You can exercise the muscles, but they will just harden under the fat. Also, where your body stores fat is a factor. <<< was irrelevant.

Nutrition is important but if you are already eating right then thats good. Crunches and sit ups will definitely help your stomach. Do you like biking or rollerblading? Those are two pass times and activities you can do to have fun AND tone your legs. Also for legs it's good to do luges, long jumps, bunny hops, squats..stuff like that. Always have a set distance or number that you do and try to increase after awhile. Don't increase everyday though ..your body will HATE you. Running is ok for you...if you like it and can do it. Not everyone is a runner...I absolutely hate running so I go for long walks every night and I still get toned and lose a bit of leg inches/fat that I don't like by doing that. Running can be very hard on your body so if you do decide to run. Work your way up to it..go for jogs than longer jogs and then increase speed that start running. When you start running start out shorter distances and then increase. :)

For the lower body - lunges and squats are the most effective way to tone up the legs.

Fact: women only have 10% of the testosterone that men have so it's actually quite difficult to get "muscular" unless you are a very serious athlete. If you look at a marathon runner - she could be very skinny but appear "muscular" - that's because of low body fat. If she increased her body fat, she would have the exact same muscle conditioning but appear less "muscular" and more "toned".

Two sports that will give you a great lower body:

fencing - one of the top best sports for developing beautiful legs and "maximus gluteus"

swimming - the resistance against the weight of water as you swim also helps develop nice muscles. I met a woman at a party whose body just blew me away. It completely changed in six months. She took up aquafitness at her gym.

thank you guys!! that was very helpful

hope i will see the results soon :D

yep, as caroline said. Squats and lunges will be your friend. :)
Squats give you the extra bulk to the thighs and butt if you are the skinny type. Lunges are for building the shape and toning. This is how I understood this when reading it some time back ago.

There's programs out there that incorporate it like Taebo or Zumba etc, but basically you are going to be doing some kind of the same exercise.

yeah I need to work on squats and lunges more i mean more than normal. :shock: maybe it is for me that it's harder for me to keep butt firm. :lol:

depend your skinny becuase influence reason your health proper something food because avoid junk food because increase fat cause I experience struggle not easy I knew!

yep, as caroline said. Squats and lunges will be your friend. :)
Squats give you the extra bulk to the thighs and butt if you are the skinny type. Lunges are for building the shape and toning. This is how I understood this when reading it some time back ago.

There's programs out there that incorporate it like Taebo or Zumba etc, but basically you are going to be doing some kind of the same exercise.

Lunges and squats both build muscles. I prefer doing squats with barbells because it really works the entire lower body at once. I worked my way up to 600 lbs on the vertical leg press and my legs never got "huge" but boy, were they really toned and shapely!

It drove me up the wall when my clients wanted my legs and arms but didn't want to lift heavy weights for fear of bulking up like a bodybuilder on steroids. It's partly why I quit being a personal trainer.

Did any of you know Marilyn Monroe was a weightlifter? I used to have a poster of her doing a bench press with free weights. :)

marilyn monroe??? that is so awesome!! how do you keep the toned butt? just doing the squats with barbells and is there any other ways of keeping butt firm? I only do it once a week. I know it is not enough/ how many times a week does it take to build up the tone butt? :lol:

Lunges and squats both build muscles. I prefer doing squats with barbells because it really works the entire lower body at once. I worked my way up to 600 lbs on the vertical leg press and my legs never got "huge" but boy, were they really toned and shapely!

It drove me up the wall when my clients wanted my legs and arms but didn't want to lift heavy weights for fear of bulking up like a bodybuilder on steroids. It's partly why I quit being a personal trainer.

Did any of you know Marilyn Monroe was a weightlifter? I used to have a poster of her doing a bench press with free weights. :)

Can you be my personal trainer?! I'd be happy to lift whatever weights you tell me to do!

marilyn monroe??? that is so awesome!! how do you keep the toned butt? just doing the squats with barbells and is there any other ways of keeping butt firm? I only do it once a week. I know it is not enough/ how many times a week does it take to build up the tone butt? :lol:

3x a week :) The way that I used to work out was I would lift weights every other day and alternate - i.e. monday - upper body, wednesday - lower body - friday - upper body

and so on. The reason I didn't work out my entire body each time was because I really lifted heavy so my muscles would need a few days to recuperate.

Going heavy with squats will work out your ENTIRE lower body. The effort it takes to stand up straight from a sitting position really works the butt as well as the legs.

There are tons of exercises to work the lower body but if you want fast results, lift weights and don't be afraid to lift heavy.

wow, nope I never knew she (Marilyn) worked out. Actually come to think of it, I guess that is why guys are really attracted to her windy dress photo/montage :P

Caroline's info is
icon14.gif

I was told the same thing about squats and barbells at the same time from some friend who's a crazy gym nutso. It really seems to work for him, he looks like an asian terminator :shock:

3x a week :) The way that I used to work out was I would lift weights every other day and alternate - i.e. monday - upper body, wednesday - lower body - friday - upper body

and so on. The reason I didn't work out my entire body each time was because I really lifted heavy so my muscles would need a few days to recuperate.

Going heavy with squats will work out your ENTIRE lower body. The effort it takes to stand up straight from a sitting position really works the butt as well as the legs.

There are tons of exercises to work the lower body but if you want fast results, lift weights and don't be afraid to lift heavy.

Yeah I do need three times a week than one time a week but it is up to me. lol I have no problem at running. I do lift weight once a week but on and off recently. If i stop for a week or so and my muslces go flat fast. :roll: butt is the one I have to work on. I work in the business office and been sitting for about 16 years in a form of secretary spread. :lol:

Thank you for your inputs. i appreciate it. :)

the last question, you said, you used to work out, but i suppose you still workout less not stop, right? so what made you slow down on working out? Me too. I stopped working out 10 yrs ago and i am back but slowly working out. Not the same craziness workout what I used to be. haha

Yeah I do need three times a week than one time a week but it is up to me. lol I have no problem at running. I do lift weight once a week but on and off recently. If i stop for a week or so and my muslces go flat fast. :roll: butt is the one I have to work on. I work in the business office and been sitting for about 16 years in a form of secretary spread. :lol:

Thank you for your inputs. i appreciate it. :)

the last question, you said, you used to work out, but i suppose you still workout less not stop, right? so what made you slow down on working out? Me too. I stopped working out 10 yrs ago and i am back but slowly working out. Not the same craziness workout what I used to be. haha

When I was laid off - couldn't afford the gym membership anymore. Then there were other things going on in my life.

When I was laid off - couldn't afford the gym membership anymore. Then there were other things going on in my life.

oh? we have lot of gyms around here for as cheap as $30 a month.

yeah that is understandable. I ve been learning some tips from the ymca classes. Whenever I don't feel like going to the workout class then I can do it myself at home. But there is too many going on with my life and at home that makes me dont feel like doing the lift weight. Running is the last thing to do which is better than none. :lol:

yes but don't you forget other bills to add up that is more burden of $$. UGH for me i have to because of my kids' after school programs so it forces me to go to the YMCA to use up the good deal. Once kids are no longer going to the after school programs. I dont know if i continue to go to the ymca. :hmm: i have a few years left to go to think about it. :giggle:

No job, two kids to feed. I kinda starved for a while.

I worked out at the gym for about six years. I am not as gung ho about going to gyms anymore. I like to be left alone when I work out and don't appreciate being hit on by men constantly when I'm in the gym.

No job, two kids to feed. I kinda starved for a while.

I worked out at the gym for about six years. I am not as gung ho about going to gyms anymore. I like to be left alone when I work out and don't appreciate being hit on by men constantly when I'm in the gym.

major complaint by my female friends. I sympathize with you and my female friends for not being able to work out in peace at most gyms. They tell me that they get creeped out by guys working out near them to try to get a look at you-know-what :roll:

Back