* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU

RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound

Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)

Memory

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth

Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance

2 TFLOPS

Storage

Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O

USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication

Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller

Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB 2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP)
Network (over IP)

AV Output

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc Media

CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Pictures:
e3-2005-playstation-3-the-system-20050516054237249.jpg

e3-2005-playstation-3-the-system-20050516054234233.jpg

e3-2005-playstation-3-the-system-20050516054233280.jpg

e3-2005-playstation-3-the-system-20050516054238202.jpg

Now that I've seen the PS3 controller... I like the Xbox 360 controller better even though I didn't think too much of it the first time around. But I do like the console design for the PS3 better, but did anybody notice that they used the same typeface (font) for the PS3 logo as in the Spider-Man movies?

hmmm the design of the console and controller looks pretty cool.

although the PS3 logo looks abit like the Spider-man movie logo...lol

I am quite exciting about this console. I cannot wait to empty my pocket and get my hands on it.

But... Blu-ray Disc? Boy, that is awesome. One-sided layer can hold 25 gbs. Dual-sided layer can hold 50 gbs. Plus backward-compatibility. However... of course, it is largely depend on games. If Monolith Soft plans to make Xenosaga or any games for PS3 then PS3 can have my heart. Or Shining Tears 2.

I saw Killzone 2 on G4 and I almost fell out of my chair... it is in-game, not CG. I have to repeat: it is in-game. Sweet! I just cannot believe what I saw and Killzone 2 alone convinced me to pre-order PS3.

I thought Killzone 2 was going to be on Playstation 2...?

eh too bad the orginal Killzone didn't exactly "kill off" Halo...lol I didn't really expect that to happen even though I LOVE Halo more than any other FPS games. :P

Steel said:
I thought Killzone 2 was going to be on Playstation 2...?

eh too bad the orginal Killzone didn't exactly "kill off" Halo...lol I didn't really expect that to happen even though I LOVE Halo more than any other FPS games. :P
Well, according to this: gaming-age that it will be on PS3.

More information about PS3: source and I like one of statements:
With Microsoft having unveiled their Xbox 360 console last week on MTV, the ball was literally in Sony’s court. With the claim that the Xbox 360 was going to be the most powerful piece of home video game hardware anyone had ever seen, we could only wonder what Sony might have up their sleeve at their E3 press conference. Well, Sony seemingly has gotten the last laugh.
:twisted:

also that PS3 is backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games! I wonder if Xbox 360 can do that? :P I love the design of the new PS3! I recently saw the specs of the new Nintendo debuting in 2006. It's a war with Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft! geez

sequoias said:
also that PS3 is backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games! I wonder if Xbox 360 can do that? :P I love the design of the new PS3! I recently saw the specs of the new Nintendo debuting in 2006. It's a war with Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft! geez
well I think Xbox 360 may be able to play the orginal xbox games on it...since I heard it is backwards compatible though...

Magatsu said:
I am quite exciting about this console. I cannot wait to empty my pocket and get my hands on it.

But... Blu-ray Disc? Boy, that is awesome. One-sided layer can hold 25 gbs. Dual-sided layer can hold 50 gbs. Plus backward-compatibility. However... of course, it is largely depend on games. If Monolith Soft plans to make Xenosaga or any games for PS3 then PS3 can have my heart. Or Shining Tears 2.

If Blu-Ray is ahead of HD-DVD in the next generation DVD format then go for it. Right now, there isn't a formal standard for next gen DVD format.

but what kind of discs will Xbox 360 use? will it be better than the blu-ray discs?

Steel said:
but what kind of discs will Xbox 360 use? will it be better than the blu-ray discs?
Xbox 360's disc isn't any better than blu-ray. At this moment, there is unlikely any better than blu-ray with HD support. However, here's Xbox 360's fact sheet:

Storage:
Detachable and upgradeable 20GB hard drive
12x dual-layer DVD-ROM
Memory Unit support starting at 64 MB

Digital Media Support
Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD
Ability to stream media from portable music devices, digital cameras and Windows XP-based PCs
Ability to rip music to the Xbox 360 hard drive
Custom playlists in every game
Built-in Media Center Extender for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Interactive, full-screen 3-D visualizers
Source: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/factsheet.htm

In other words, Xbox 360 don't have the blu-ray feature.

I have my own cube game and I want this new game but it is very expersived alot of money.

Epic backs PlayStation 3

Unreal Engine 3 has quickly established itself as the engine of choice for Xbox 360 developers, but Microsoft will have been left a little worried after its most impressive showing yet at the Sony pre-E3 conference on Monday here in LA.

Presented by Tim Sweeney and NVIDIA, the demonstration showed off the startling capabilities of the new console. We often moan about sci-fi men running down metal corridors these days, but we'd take it all back after this 720p real-time demo full of per-pixel lighting and shading and other things we sort of understand but about which we understand one thing very plainly: they are the truest sign yet of a generational leap.

The demo featured a grisly marine type racing down a hallway with a giant gun, pursued by a bad guy who looked like the bastard offspring of C-3PO and I, Robot. The detail was unbelievable - the armour and metal plating would reflected and looked worn, the facial detail was utterly convincing, and the whole scene could have been introduced as a CG movie without anybody batting an eyelid.

Having shot down his enemy - the muzzle flare effects alone eliciting gasps from the audience, and the explosions making us gulp a little - the guy strolled off and pondered a precipice. At which point the demo switched to a robot's eye view, all interference with a reddish filter and static.

He jumped the guy, and they hurtled down to the platform. The guy managed to hold on to the edge but the robot was soon on top of him, kicking the gun away. At this point we caught a glimpse of the fractured head casing of the robot, molten metal seeping away from his wound. It all culminated in the robot being hauled down and destroyed on the ground below in a swirl of smoke, flying flak and applause from the crowd sitting in front of the screen.

What was doubly impressive though was that on the second runthrough, the Epic guys paused the demo - proving that it was real-time rendering and not just pre-recorded CG video - and flew around looking at things from different angles. Over a balcony you could see the sea bashing against a metal cityscape, all industrial greys and dark browns - as many as you could imagine - and as the Epic guys demonstrated the real-time nature of the demo, pausing to pan around and admire things like the individual fiery expulsions from the cannon muzzle, it took on an even more impressive air.

"Amazingly, we got the first PS3 hardware just two months ago," Sweeney said.

Epic's technology is probably going to sell quite well after this.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59122

Epic backs PS3? SWEEETTTT.

Sony to win next-gen - analyst

A September launch date may be looking increasingly likely for the Xbox 360 but the next-gen console war won't really kick off until the PS3 arrives, according to a report by interactive entertainment analyst Michael Pachter. And what's more, he reckons it'll win.

Pachter's report predicts that the current cycle "will continue long past the launch of the Xbox 360," adding, "We do not view that Microsoft's pending announcement will have significant near-term impact on the US publishers.

"In contrast, we expect the launch of Sony's PS3 (expected in late 2006) to mark the beginning of the next cycle, and think that rapid sales growth will not materialize until 2007."

Speaking to US site GameDAILY Pachter compared the launch of Xbox 360 to that of the PSP, saying "It's not going to cause PS2 owners to buy less software."

However, Pachter says, "If Microsoft launches first, they're going to get sales for a year 'for free'. So if they get 30 per cent market from the day of the PS3 launch plus whatever they sell the first year, they're going to do better than 30 per cent."

Pachter forecasts that game purchases by both Xbox and PS2 owners will slow down as the release date for each next-gen console draws near and that only the hardcore fanbase will purchase them in the months immediately following launch, making 2006 a transitionary year.

But 2007 will see "the ramp", says Pachter - "the PS3, the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Revolution and PSP all out and starting to mature."

Which means that even though Microsoft is launching its console early, predicts Pachter, Sony will retain its position as market leader. "In 2010, Sony's going to have 55 per cent, Microsoft's going to have 35 per cent and Nintendo 10 per cent, with all three of those having plus or minus five per cent," he concludes, swirling his teacup mysteriously.

Pachter ended by adding that the he thought the Xbox 360 was likely to be backwards compatible with original Xbox games, and that if Microsoft decided against this he would "question their judgement."

Well, we'll find out soon enough, seeing as the Xbox 360 MTV special is just over a week away...

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=58895

Ok, last one before I hit the sack (yes, late... damn these E3 news).

PlayStation 3 - The Real Next Generation

Sony has finally taken the wraps off its next generation plans, unveiling the PlayStation 3 console at a special event in Los Angeles and confirming an incredibly impressive hardware specification and a comprehensive range of multimedia functionality.

The system was presented by Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi, who confirmed that it is on track to launch in Spring 2006 - scotching rumours earlier this week that the company could pull a late 2005 launch out of the bag.

As expected, the system will indeed be called "PlayStation 3", and will be based on the brand new Cell microprocessor which has been co-created by Sony, IBM and Toshiba and a new graphics chipset co-developed by Sony and NVIDIA.

The PS3 is set to use a single Cell CPU at its core, which will run at 3.2Ghz. The system will boast around 2.18 Teraflops of performance - almost twice the raw performance of Microsoft's Xbox 360, if the Teraflop statistics - a measurement of how many of the floating point operations crucial to the graphics and physics in modern games can be processed per second - from both companies are to be believed.

Like Xbox 360, PS3 will have 512MB of RAM, but unlike its rival console, which has a unified memory architecture that shares RAM betwen the CPU and GPU, it will divide that up in much the same way that modern PCs do - with 256MB of very high speed XDR main RAM running at 3.2Ghz, and 256MB of GDDR graphics RAM running at 700Mhz.

The graphics chipset, meanwhile, has been named the RSX - which stands for "Reality Synthesizer", as opposed to the "Graphics Synthesizer" that powered the original PlayStation 2. Never let it be said that Sony let an opportunity for a pretentious name pass them by. The part, which has been manufactured by NVIDIA, is described as being more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra boards, which are the current top of the range PC graphics solutions, and will output in HDTV resolutions all the way up to 1080p as standard.

BD-ROM discs, based on the Blu-Ray standard, will be the main media used by the PS3. Each can store up to 54GB of data, around six times more than current dual-layer DVD discs, and the system will also be compatible with existing DVD and CD games and media.

Looking past the impressively powerful core specification of the machine, Sony's ambitions to turn the PlayStation into a home media hub are readily apparent in the wide range of ports and media connections which the system sports.

Along with the expected network port (Gigabit Ethernet), AV multi-out port and SP/DIF optical audio out port, the PS3 also has two high-resolution HDMI video ports, slots for Memory Stick Duo, SD Cards and Compact Flash cards, six USB 2.0 ports and - like the Xbox 360 - a slot for a removeable 2.5" hard drive module.

All of that will enable the system to perform a wide range of multimedia functions, surpassing even the feature-set of the company's own PSX convergence device which was released in Japan around eighteen months ago.

Among the previously undisclosed abilities of the PS3 will be internet browsing functions, video chat using an EyeToy style camera peripheral, photo archival and browsing, and of course, advanced video and audio playback functionality.

Intriguingly, the two HDMI ports can drive two entirely independent HDTV displays - a feature which could allow users to, for example, play a game on one screen while video-chatting with all their fellow players on another.

Last but by no means least, the controllers will be wireless as expected, and out of the box the system can support up to seven controllers using the Bluetooth standard for connectivity - no more multi-taps, then. The console also has built-in 802.11b/g wireless networking.

Wondering what it all looks like? Check out the full gallery of hardware pics.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59106

g'nite all.

I had already heard that from my newpapers. I would like to see new Playstation 3 or Nintendo Revolution. :)

Back