Greetings to you, sirs and ladys

annasymmetric

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Anna. I'm a little shy and awkward and have difficulties making friends, no difficulties keeping them.

I'm here to look for a Deaf friend! I'm sure you're all aware of ASL students coming and going and yes I am an ASL student. But I'm not looking for a one-time love-and-then-leave kind of friend. I'm looking for genuine friends to have for a long time. Yes, I need to ask questions and I will be learning ASL from the friends I gather. But hopefully we will be talking about other interesting things besides Deaf culture (I'm not saying it's uninteresting, but it can get tired) or ASL or basic conversation. Looking for a serious friend, here.

Yes, I need Deaf conversational hours for class. So yes, it ultimately comes down to being an assignment. But I'm not learning ASL because it gets me credits for transfer, or I want to be an interpreter. I'm actually hard of hearing, and ASL is very comfortable to me.

Why not get a Deaf friend from school or the other millions of Deaf events that go on in San Diego?

Because I am very shy and have social difficulties. Hopefully someone will understand. I have few friends but I am tight with them.

Now that full disclosure is over, let me introduce myself.

I'm Anna, I live in San Diego and attend Mesa College. I work for my local Beverages and More (its a liquor store chain). I'm 26, and I am quite a geek. I'm married to a bigger geek and the love of my life. I am a total goofball, a dog whisperer, and sometimes a creep. I have quite a few hobbies, some of them extremely varied. I will list them now:

Video Games (Assassins Creed, Sims 3, Minecraft, Skyrim, etc...)
TV Shows (Supernatural, Psych, Doctor Who, Star Trek, etc...)
Cooking
Making Jewelry (that I sell on Etsy)
Roller Derby
Fencing (Yes with a sword)
Reading (Sci-fi, fantasy, manga, etc...)
Training dogs
And probably I do other things but can't think of at the moment.

I would not mind meeting someone in person. But you can imagine the difficulties with finding friends when I have interests that obscure.

Anyway, please reply here or send me a message. :wave:

:ty::ty::ty::ty::ty::ty::ty::ty::ty::ty:

PS: I'm looking more for ladies, since guys tend to go "oh cute girl!" and I'm not looking for romance.

:welcome:

Nice to meet you. I am deaf. I am from Florida.

This is the second time I've heard of Etsy. I'll have to look into it. I am a seller on eBay. I love to read mangas. My favorite tv show is Breaking Bad. Ohh all that evilness...

Hello ! I'm hearing but I wondering to get advice.
I have a project for economics class which is to advertise a product to a group that it wouldn't usually be its target audience. I chose Beats Headphones for the deaf. Now I know the deaf are able to feel the music. But I have to make magazine advertisements and a commerial and I wondering if you have anyt tips on how to make a commerial about headphones geered to the deaf.
Little back round infor on myself: I know very little signing but I try to learn. My step moms mother awas an interpreter for many years, which I one day came across an ASL book and I was really intrested.

:welcome:

Nice to meet you. I am deaf. I am from Florida.

This is the second time I've heard of Etsy. I'll have to look into it. I am a seller on eBay. I love to read mangas. My favorite tv show is Breaking Bad. Ohh all that evilness...

I haven't watched Breaking Bad. I know it's good, but I have about 100 other shows I watch. My husband will vouch for me, I watch about 25 hours of TV a week. I'm sure I will get to it eventually.

Etsy is pretty cool. I recommend you browse the website a little. It's a bit more for artisan crafters and vintage items. I buy from there too, it makes for pretty awesome and unique gifting at Christmas.

Also, I lived in Tampa for a short period of my life. About one year! I worked at Disney World. I hated the bugs, but the heat wasn't so bad. I have family in Little Rock, AK... Now, that heat is bad.

Hello ! I'm hearing but I wondering to get advice.
I have a project for economics class which is to advertise a product to a group that it wouldn't usually be its target audience. I chose Beats Headphones for the deaf. Now I know the deaf are able to feel the music. But I have to make magazine advertisements and a commerial and I wondering if you have anyt tips on how to make a commerial about headphones geered to the deaf.
Little back round infor on myself: I know very little signing but I try to learn. My step moms mother awas an interpreter for many years, which I one day came across an ASL book and I was really intrested.

I think you should survey some Deaf individuals to find what qualities they would like in a set of headphones. Noise cancelling so others don't go deaf from their music? Soft padding? Find out if they have a product already that works well.

Since your ASL is new and improving, you should write a dialog and have your step grandma (if still alive) interpret it into ASL, and learn the signs for your video. ASL grammar can be a little complicated, and those who are Deaf will appreciate that a lot more. I've noticed Deaf people tend to get insulted when Hearing people try to make money off of them.

That's all I can offer. I'm new to this world too.

ibgirly, please familiarize yourself with this forum and how it works. Then make your own introduction as this one belongs to annasymmetric, ok......thanks and see you at your own thread....

I had thought about selling on ETSY in the past. Why do you pick to sell there over EBay ?

I've a lot of vintage toy cars and trucks. I'm wondering if they would sell well on ETSY.

I had thought about selling on ETSY in the past. Why do you pick to sell there over EBay ?

I've a lot of vintage toy cars and trucks. I'm wondering if they would sell well on ETSY.

It might. I pick Etsy because it's easy to control and work with. Ebay, you put it up and hope for the best. Etsy works a little more like an "online store". In addition to Etsy, I will post things on Craigslist and wherever I get a "hit" from first, wins. You can't do that with Ebay. Let me know what you think.

Sent from my DROID4 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Assassins Creed!
Whats roller derby like, i love rollerskating more than anything.

Shameless, walking dead and switched at birth are my favorite shows that are not in their off-season right now.
Welcome, :wave:

Assassins Creed!
Whats roller derby like, i love rollerskating more than anything.

Shameless, walking dead and switched at birth are my favorite shows that are not in their off-season right now.
Welcome, :wave:

Oh do I love Shameless. I'm a little behind on both Shameless and Walking Dead, so no spoilers!

Roller derby is what I do to work on my balance... Since I'm naturally untalented in it. What is it like? Well, it's a workout, it's fast moving, and it feels like freedom.

It might. I pick Etsy because it's easy to control and work with. Ebay, you put it up and hope for the best. Etsy works a little more like an "online store". In addition to Etsy, I will post things on Craigslist and wherever I get a "hit" from first, wins. You can't do that with Ebay. Let me know what you think.

Ok. Does it cost money to list on ETSY only to pull it off if it sells somewhere else?

Welcome! Enjoying the rain over there?

Ok. Does it cost money to list on ETSY only to pull it off if it sells somewhere else?

Yes, $0.10. It's not too much considering I don't have to ship the item.

Welcome! Enjoying the rain over there?

Hate! I dislike the rain very much. I prefer the fog, or when it's warm out. I think I just don't like getting wet.

Roller derby is what I do to work on my balance... Since I'm naturally untalented in it. What is it like? Well, it's a workout, it's fast moving, and it feels like freedom.

So they dont try to knock your teeth out!? :lol: I nearly joined a local league but moved to eastern oregon. I do rollerskating and yoga and the occasional stack of books on my head so that I'm not walking at a 45 degree angle into walls or tripping over myself. To some avail.

So they dont try to knock your teeth out!? :lol: I nearly joined a local league but moved to eastern oregon. I do rollerskating and yoga and the occasional stack of books on my head so that I'm not walking at a 45 degree angle into walls or tripping over myself. To some avail.

Gosh it feels good to talk to someone who understands the balance problem. It's really such a brick wall I have to face every day. Most people are like "you should practice walking"... No dude I'm not bumping into you because I want to...

Sorry for the rant. It's just a weird thing.

And no, I'm part of a non-violent league. I guess it's hard to insure the players if elbowing in the face is allowed.

Haha,that's brilliant! If there was one of those in Portland I would have joined in a heartbeat. It got really bad in middle school, to where I would lay on my stomach, my ear literally to the ground hoping the world would stop spinning. Only getting up when necessary, it mellowed out. Now from time to time, by itself or from a sound, my ear(s) will do a deep buzz and I cant focus or move until it goes away. I think you'll find a lot of people (especially with menieres) on this forum who understand, thats one reason why this forum rocks.

Back