Greetings - new to the board

CanadaDan

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is Dan up in Toronto Canada. I'm a 53 yr. old man, HOH with severe-profound hearing loss. I've been "lurking" on the board for the past month or so but decided just now to register.

A little background info (I'll try to be brief): I grew up as a normal hearing person, though suspected from my teen years that my hearing wasn't so great. My mom has suffered from hearing loss since she was in her 40's (82 now and still going!), as did some of her brothers.

My hearing loss became noticeable when I was in my 30's. when people started to sound "fuzzy" on the phone. I began wearing HA's when I was 34; almost 20 yrs. ago now. At first it was just my right ear, then my left side started to go and I began wearing aids in both ears. Diagnosed with senory-neural hearing loss, and it has been progressive (been wearing Phonak "Eleva" on both sides since summer 2007).

I got along more or less okay with the aids; of course I had some difficulty on the phone, in noisy environments, etc. but I was functioning pretty well until late May 2008, when I had a by-pass surgery. My left ear had always been the "better" ear, with considerable more hearing than my right side. After the surgery, my left side got noticeably worse, and became almost as bad as the right side. This development impacted my ability to hear and understand other people quite a bit. It became impossible to use a normal phone, and I had to start using a TTY.

Fast forward to the present: After a year of consultations and further testing, I was just implanted with a CI (Advanced Bionics) on my right side last week, on November 17/09. Naturally I'm still in "healing" mode. I don't have an activation date set yet, but hopefully it will be before Christmas.

So, that's my story. Not sure how active I'll be on the board, but hope I can make a positive contribution. Thanks for reading!

Hi Pepsi and Bottesini! I'll have to get me one of them fancy icons ...

Last edited:
Yes you will! And rest assured we are more lively normally. It is quiet for the holiday. I was just checking in and am gone now too. :lol:

:welcome: to Alldeaf, Dan! :) I'm Canadian as well (Ottawa). I am also HOH, but am just above your loss as I am in the moderate-severe range. My hearing has been recorded as deteriorating during the past couple years (it may soon just be a severe loss). I am also finding that using the telephone is very difficult; much more so than it used to be. Luckily for me, I can still communicate by telephone, but sometimes it can be difficult to use.

Welcome, Dan! I have genetic progressive loss, too. Hope that the CI works well for you. :welcome:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. This is great now that you are Canadian like me. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

Greetings-new to the board

Hey! welcome, I'm new too, hoping to become an interpeter.

Back