Greetings from Paradise

Roy Shearer

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

My name is Roy Shearer.
I live along Alabama's Gulf Coast.
Signed on here because I am late deafened and am seeking guidance and information to learn ASL.
Recently declined Bilaterial Cochlear Implants.
Either way, I am deaf. So I prefer to adjust to communicating with ASL.
Family is behind my decision and we all want to learn ASL.
Problem is finding an individual or local support from the deaf community to work with us.
I love humor and do not take myself seriously. I am 60 years old with 30 years experience!

:wave: Roy!
you can go to the Late Deafened thread, under "Our World, Our Culture" section <"Adjustment to Late Onset Deafness>

Wirelessly posted (iPhone4)

dogmom said:
:wave: Roy!
you can go to the Late Deafened thread, under "Our World, Our Culture" section <"Adjustment to Late Onset Deafness>

Thank you for the reply. I will definitely check out the thread.

Reba said:
:wave: Roy

You might find info about ASL classes here:

New Page 2

Or, since you live near the Florida Panhandle:

http://www.fadcentral.org/index/index.html

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pensacola-State-College-ASL-Club/106393106094975

Have you checked with your local community colleges for classes? Sometimes they have accredited classes, sometimes continuing ed classes.

According to their website, they offer sign language classes:

http://www.aidb.org/aidb-regional-centers/mobile

Hi Reba. Thank you for taking the time to gather all of the information you provided.

Unfortunately, none of those areas are close enough to my location for pratical involvement.

I will follow some of the links as I proceed upon my mission.

Misty_Lily said:

Misty_Lily, thank you for the happy critter with the welcome sign. I was initially uncertain whether to post to this site as I don't know the lines of acceptance between those who are born deaf and those who lose their hearing later in life.

Welcome, Roy! :wave:

The late deafened are welcome anywhere on this forum. There are a lot of us here. Glad that you found us. :D

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Hi Reba. Thank you for taking the time to gather all of the information you provided.

Unfortunately, none of those areas are close enough to my location for pratical involvement.

I will follow some of the links as I proceed upon my mission.
I hope you can find something via the links. :)

Welcome Roy

Hi Roy, Like you I am also someone who lost their hearing later in life. 7 years ago for me..smile...I am Profoundly deaf and suggest you take a look at all the information given to you by my AD friends above. Take your time
I know it can be overwhelming. but everyone here is nice, laughing, well they try anyway..smile. and if you have questions ask them...You are so lucky to have the support of family there are so many ways to connect woth an ASL teacher there us even a site i believe it is ASL Auto Service-Leasing i really forget but you will find it. welcome again..Peace to you..Midnight♥:wave:

Misty_Lily, thank you for the happy critter with the welcome sign. I was initially uncertain whether to post to this site as I don't know the lines of acceptance between those who are born deaf and those who lose their hearing later in life.

You're most welcome!
My opinion would be.... there is more of an acceptance for you then would be of me (a hearie). :giggle:
I hope those around, no matter their way of living, will help you feel accepted. :)

Back