Government blocks fuel efficient cars...70 mpg

Even though the sequencing on traffic light is fact, it was never intended to force stop to use more gas, actually the opposite is true. It was to force driver to maintain speed limits. If you go by speed limit you will get green light all the way. But if you go faster, you will reach red light. Maintaining speed limit actually saves gas.

That's the way it should be....But it some places like CA and the UK it doesn't work that way. In fact the lights in the Bay area are just crazy. L.A. is bad too.

Interesting.
Read more about them here. The first one is a fixed camera which are a common sight everywhere, the other two could be lurking ANYWHERE. Only the brave or foolish drive fast now around here. My missus' mother just got caught by one of the fixed ones doing 35mph in a 30 zone. Unlike a traffic cop, they enforce the letter of the law rather than the spirit of it. Going with the flow, clear conditions, empty roads, the camera doesn't care. Driving isn't fun any more.

Which of course is part of the agenda

Go back and find a post of mine where I said I'm against regulations. You won't find one. I'm all for exploration and drilling within the bounds of regulations. You must have mises the point where I posted: "the government is content to either not regulate or ignore air quality test results."

You did in many posts so I'm not going dig nearly 3,000 posts.

Do you have concern about people with asthma or lungs problem?

If emission reaches acceptable level so it shouldn't be issue, also I don't support residents to locate to area that surrounding of oil shale due to high emission that could cause many complications.

The California emissions package is a conspiracy as well! Just robbing the people of more money! How do I know this? I bought a new Ford Ranger in 1985 in California. When I moved back to Missouri in 1986 it wouldn't pass the St. Louis area Missouri emissions test! Even Ford couldn't fix it! They said they changed a sensor and it passed! Next year we had to unplug a hose to fool the test system to make it pass. I have been told that diesel is less harmful to the environment?!

The California emissions package is a conspiracy as well! Just robbing the people of more money! How do I know this? I bought a new Ford Ranger in 1985 in California. When I moved back to Missouri in 1986 it wouldn't pass the St. Louis area Missouri emissions test! Even Ford couldn't fix it! They said they changed a sensor and it passed! Next year we had to unplug a hose to fool the test system to make it pass. I have been told that diesel is less harmful to the environment?!

That's 80's but California didn't impose the stricter emission standard than federal level until around 90's and 2000's.

It was also rumoured that the traffic light sequencing (the 'green wave') was deliberately set to force cars to stop and start... to burn more fuel... to pay more tax.

And that's why we go over the limit, so that we can thread several "green light" needles without stopping once on the way to work. Go the speed limit, and expect to stop at lots of red lights. They do this on purpose.

2013 Chevrolet diesel Cruze to be made at Lordstown Ohio for Europe and Asia only. This diesel may offer highway fuel economy of 50 mpg. GM will plan to sell a diesel version of the Chevrolet Cruze compact car in the U.S???

2013 Chevrolet Cruze To Offer 2.0-Liter Clean-Diesel Option

About time. A guy in my office bought a (gasoline) Cruze and traded it in because, by European standards, it's a gas guzzler. He now has a Honda Civic hatchback.

GM makes a lot of decent diesel cars in Europe (the Buick Lacrosse is based off the Opel Insignia which has tons of diesel engines available) as does Ford. It's a shame only VW is bold enough to bring them to the North American market so far.

And that's why we go over the limit, so that we can thread several "green light" needles without stopping once on the way to work. Go the speed limit, and expect to stop at lots of red lights. They do this on purpose.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7998182.stm

Motorists should face fewer red lights following the relaxation of government guidance on the flow of traffic.Local councils can adopt "green wave" systems of sensors, where vehicles at or just below the speed limit trigger a succession of green lights.
Environmental and motoring groups say carbon emissions will be reduced.
Previously the Department for Transport (DfT) had discouraged the systems which reduce fuel use, resulting in less tax being paid to the Treasury.
But now, rather than seeing green wave systems as a "cost" to the public purse, the DfT views them as a "benefit".

Yep this is old news but its the EPA that is screwing up everything and not letting diesels into the USA. almost half the vehicles on the road in Europe are diesels due to fuel efficiency being 50 to 100% better than gasoline. Modern Direct injection Turbocharged diesels are also less polluting per gallon than their gasoline counterparts. Diesel is cheaper to refine and can be made from algae, nuts, corn, and just about any plant. also needs less refining than gasoline.
Remember that a Euro gallon is 20 % larger than a US gallon when looking at MPG's
The reason the Smart for 2 is popular in Europe is that it runs a little 1 liter diesel that does over 70mpg. that figure got cut in half when shipped to the us with a gas engine.
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) is the other choice and 100% domestic fuel source...
its also cleaner than gasoline with less pollutants and no bi-products of combustion and costs less than half what a gallon of gas costs. some places like Utah its about 75 cents a gallon.

Yep this is old news but its the EPA that is screwing up everything and not letting diesels into the USA. almost half the vehicles on the road in Europe are diesels due to fuel efficiency being 50 to 100% better than gasoline. Modern Direct injection Turbocharged diesels are also less polluting per gallon than their gasoline counterparts. Diesel is cheaper to refine and can be made from algae, nuts, corn, and just about any plant. also needs less refining than gasoline.
Remember that a Euro gallon is 20 % larger than a US gallon when looking at MPG's
The reason the Smart for 2 is popular in Europe is that it runs a little 1 liter diesel that does over 70mpg. that figure got cut in half when shipped to the us with a gas engine.
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) is the other choice and 100% domestic fuel source...
its also cleaner than gasoline with less pollutants and no bi-products of combustion and costs less than half what a gallon of gas costs. some places like Utah its about 75 cents a gallon.

Yup, I'm not happy with EPA and oil companies that block auto with diesel from become common, also I'm not happy about our government doesn't response to 1973 oil crisis because this crisis is warning about gas price will getting more expensive so we should have alternative so much earlier.

I want to heavily reform the EPA and oil companies. I don't care if oil companies lose the money because of big shift to diesel so they need to stop greedy because many Americans are struggling with high gas price.

Then, why do they let truckers use as much diesel as they want?

Go to Pickens Plan | It's time to stop America's addiction to OPEC oil. T. Boone Pickens has a plan. and you will see that T Boone Pickens has been working for years to get a natural gas refueling structure in place. I believe Pilot truck stops is starting to install CNG pumps. Yes if we could switch the Commercial trucking industry over to CNG then we would basically end our dependence on foreign oil....
another good site is CNGNow

95% of all good delivered in the USA travel at least part of the way to their destination via Truck... They dont use as much as they want they use what they need to do business which is delivering everything you use and buy just about anywhere

Wrong! Look it up! It started in the 60's!

60's standard wasn't stricter as today, just only require all cars to have catalytic converters and ban on lead in fuel, that it.

Edit: You are correct, it started in 60's or 70's, just way before federal did it.

There is reason for this, truckers needs torque, Diesel provides twice torque than gasoline. Yes, Gasoline has higher HP, but lower torque which is bad for hauling.

I have diesel PU truck, and for same truck in gas part, I can pull twice the weight than gasoline counterpart. my PU truck has whopping 670 FT lbs torque while gasoline pu truck has only 350 FT lbs torque.

Then, why do they let truckers use as much diesel as they want?

I learn a month ago that CNG provides 1/3 of power than Diesel provides so that is huge difference, I don't think 18 wheelers are willing to switch to CNG. For cars, that is whole different story.

Go to Pickens Plan | It's time to stop America's addiction to OPEC oil. T. Boone Pickens has a plan. and you will see that T Boone Pickens has been working for years to get a natural gas refueling structure in place. I believe Pilot truck stops is starting to install CNG pumps. Yes if we could switch the Commercial trucking industry over to CNG then we would basically end our dependence on foreign oil....
another good site is CNGNow

95% of all good delivered in the USA travel at least part of the way to their destination via Truck... They dont use as much as they want they use what they need to do business which is delivering everything you use and buy just about anywhere

Likewise LPG (popular alternative fuel in Europe, most gasoline engined cars can be refitted to accept it) is cheaper than gas but you get less miles per 'gallon' with it. Combined with higher road tax it tends to be used by people who want a gasoline engined car and do megamiles.

60's standard wasn't stricter as today, just only require all cars to have catalytic converters and ban on lead in fuel, that it.

Edit: You are correct, it started in 60's or 70's, just way before federal did it.

Yes it all started in the late 50's with the PCV and then in the 60's it got much worse (smog pumps) and in the 70's it started getting so out of control that they lost HP and mileage. It really all went to heck in the 80's with all the electronic crap! It has gotten some better in the 90's & 2000's but the cars could still get way better mileage.

Yes it all started in the late 50's with the PCV and then in the 60's it got much worse (smog pumps) and in the 70's it started getting so out of control that they lost HP and mileage. It really all went to heck in the 80's with all the electronic crap! It has gotten some better in the 90's & 2000's but the cars could still get way better mileage.

That's interesting, I'm realized that you are correct after ask my friend about #34.

Yup, the smog pollution was terrible in past, especially LA was full of smoggy in 50's and 60's, also their streetcar service went bankrupted in 1963, and Birmingham had nasty smoggy until 1980's due to many steel and iron factories.

Back