Good old TTY...

When I was a kid, I had one of those gigantic, green TTYs that were real TTYs, with the daisy wheel and the yellow paper. It made noise when it was on, and I still remember the smell of it. Comparing that huge thing with a BlackBerry is like comparing a '50s computer that took up an entire room with a modern PC or laptop. It's amazing how much technology has advanced in such a relatively short time.

The difference between the old TTY you describe vs. a Blackberry is similar to the difference between a Perkins Brailler and a Jot-A-Dot. (Note: The Jot-A-Dot is a small portable device that allows a blind person to write notes in Braille.) In comparison, the Perkins is twice the size of the Jot-A-Dot.

My tty is hidden away and collecting dust. I dont use it anymore. I use my laptop, vp or my bb.

Much faster and easier to get a hold of anyone at anywhere.

I have not used my TTY for about 3 years now. It is still in my back pack that I have not opened since ever. :P

TTY down here is hardly used. Only use TTY at work though.

I called motorolla to get the TTY working on my old cell, the manual had it listed so they did an over the air update it was buggier the holy hell but it was sweet for talking to my ASL professor. I miss that phone. I hope more Cell co's make phones for the Deaf as more and more people are getting rid of the land line.

That's pretty cool. I never seen a pay TTY; I just see the ones at hotels, silver case, and black keyboard buttons. I think its cool to see them around like that. :)

Back