Good Night and Hope good for job interview tommorrow !!!!

Reba said:
Which big city?

Pittsburgh then after that not sure which college to go to Gallaudet or NTID.

good luck! I suggest NTID because of employers attract to technology!

rjr2006 said:
good luck! I suggest NTID because of employers attract to technology!

Thank you rjr2006, the positive side of going to NTID is that I have a relative that I already know from childhood. My uncle and aunt from my mom's side of the family.

In Virginia, I have not really gotten a chance to know my dad's relatives. They visited my dad in the summer once in a while so really, Gallaudet University would be alittle harder with no real family support system.

For employment and finanical considerations, NTID does make more sense but the problem here is I have a learning disablity in math so it would be a challenge with a few adjustments and the right teacher. I would be taught and trained in the more complex subjects of math. I can add and subtract, take measurements just fine ... it is the more complex mathematical formulas that I have a problem with. I could take computer science but what I really want to do is get into the law enforcement field , forensic science or something along those lines because my family has a strong tradition of military and law enforcement service.

Heath,

To really boost your career prospects, I still recommend attending a Tier 1 school. Unfortunately, Gallaudet is not a Tier 1 school. Neither is RIT (if you go to RIT, make sure you get your degree from "RIT" and not "NTID").

The Tier one institutions are:

1 Harvard University (MA)
1 Princeton University (NJ)
3 Yale University (CT)
4 University of Pennsylvania
5 Duke University (NC)
5 Stanford University (CA)
7 California Institute of Technology
7 Massachusetts Inst. of Technology
9 Columbia University (NY)
9 Dartmouth College (NH)

all the way to: (120 total)

115 Loyola University Chicago
115 Northeastern University (MA)
115 University at Buffalo – SUNY*
115 University of Oregon*
115 University of San Francisco
120 Catholic University of America (DC)
120 Colorado State University*
120 University of Kentucky*
120 University of Utah*
120 Washington State University*

See the full list at:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php

I HIGHLY recommend you get a bachelor's degree from one of those schools. You are much more likely to have the career you want and enjoy if you go to a Tier 1 school. This also has an impact on how much money you earn.

One of my friends works for Townsend Townsend and Crew, a prominent law firm specializing in patent law. She tells me that most lawyers there have a top-20 law degree (from Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc.). There is one person who has a degree from Denver University (DU). DU is not even a Tier 1 school, and because of that, he's considered "Third class" and has more obstacles to overcome than his peers.

Interesting, a meager Associate Lawyer at Townsend Townsend and Crew makes a little under half a million dollars a year. Such is the power of a top-20 degree.

The value of your degree has an impact even if you're not going into law or business or whatnot. Whatever you do, your degree is usually ranked against other degrees. The higher your degree is, the more likely you are to get the job (as forensic expert, nonprofit assistant director, or whatever) and a higher salary.

Endymion said:
Heath,

To really boost your career prospects, I still recommend attending a Tier 1 school. Unfortunately, Gallaudet is not a Tier 1 school. Neither is RIT (if you go to RIT, make sure you get your degree from "RIT" and not "NTID").

The Tier one institutions are:

1 Harvard University (MA)
1 Princeton University (NJ)
3 Yale University (CT)
4 University of Pennsylvania
5 Duke University (NC)
5 Stanford University (CA)
7 California Institute of Technology
7 Massachusetts Inst. of Technology
9 Columbia University (NY)
9 Dartmouth College (NH)

all the way to: (120 total)

115 Loyola University Chicago
115 Northeastern University (MA)
115 University at Buffalo – SUNY*
115 University of Oregon*
115 University of San Francisco
120 Catholic University of America (DC)
120 Colorado State University*
120 University of Kentucky*
120 University of Utah*
120 Washington State University*

See the full list at:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php

I HIGHLY recommend you get a bachelor's degree from one of those schools. You are much more likely to have the career you want and enjoy if you go to a Tier 1 school. This also has an impact on how much money you earn.

One of my friends works for Townsend Townsend and Crew, a prominent law firm specializing in patent law. She tells me that most lawyers there have a top-20 law degree (from Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc.). There is one person who has a degree from Denver University (DU). DU is not even a Tier 1 school, and because of that, he's considered "Third class" and has more obstacles to overcome than his peers.

Interesting, a meager Associate Lawyer at Townsend Townsend and Crew makes a little under half a million dollars a year. Such is the power of a top-20 degree.

The value of your degree has an impact even if you're not going into law or business or whatnot. Whatever you do, your degree is usually ranked against other degrees. The higher your degree is, the more likely you are to get the job (as forensic expert, nonprofit assistant director, or whatever) and a higher salary.

Endymion,

Okay I am talking to my Office of Vocotional Rehablition counselor because I live in extreme poverty and will qualify for everything and not have to pay one cent for it which is always nice. Somebody else paid for my education and I have to be thankful for that. I would like to build my mom her own house then my own house. My mom has done alots for me. She really deserves a house of her own. I will be taking full positive advantage of that opporounity for sure. :) :thumb:

Heath said:
Endymion,

Okay I am talking to my Office of Vocotional Rehablition counselor because I live in extreme poverty and will qualify for everything and not have to pay one cent for it which is always nice. Somebody else paid for my education and I have to be thankful for that. I would like to build my mom her own house then my own house. My mom has done alots for me. She really deserves a house of her own. I will be taking full positive advantage of that opporounity for sure. :) :thumb:

Sounds good. :) It's nice of you to want to build your mother a house!

One thing I should warn you about is that VR counselors are mostly trained to help you get lower-skilled jobs that you don't necessarily need a degree for. When it comes to more advanced, more challenging, better paying jobs, they aren't as trained to help you.

Suppose you want to become a financial analyst. VR will help you pay for your tuition and will help you through the process. But VR is not as good at helping you get the job as an analyst, so you will have to do some searching by yourself.

Here's a secret, by the way: no matter how much money you have, if you do it right, you get a degree (with a good GPA), and you use the connections at the Career Services center at a Tier 1 school, you can very well make quite a bit of money. (But you have to do it right, most students don't know what the right thing to do is and they usually end up missing great opportunities)

For example, the University of Colorado at Boulder is a 78th ranked Tier one school. They are number one in the state of Colorado. If you go to the Career Services center, they will tell you about all kinds of companies that interview students before graduation. One company is Stockhamp & Associates, a hospital consulting firm. Entry level pay for a consulting position with Stockhamp & Associates is $60,000 a year.

Back