Good morning from Kansas...

ryantss

Reaction score
My name is Ryan and I'm from Kansas. I'm at the University of Kansas as a sophomore, but I'm sitting at home in Overland Park on Spring Break since KU lost on Friday night (so much for my road trip plans!) :doh:

I'm hearing impaired, but can sign and speak, though I tend to speak more often than sign. Other than that, I dunno what else to say! Just ask!

Hi Ryan!

Was it fun living on the Tornado Alley, eh?

Actually I would love to see Tornado, missed twice BIG time! Was in Salt lake city, Utah, left a day before the rare strike of tornado there. Then an hour too early left Fort Worth, Texas when Tornado strikes. All I can remember is that the air and sky looked so weird when I was in FW, TX. Didn't think it was tornado in brewing.

diehardbiker65 said:
Hi Ryan!

Was it fun living on the Tornado Alley, eh?

Actually I would love to see Tornado, missed twice BIG time! Was in Salt lake city, Utah, left a day before the rare strike of tornado there. Then an hour too early left Fort Worth, Texas when Tornado strikes. All I can remember is that the air and sky looked so weird when I was in FW, TX. Didn't think it was tornado in brewing.

It's always fun, especially when you're in a dorm with a thousand people crammed in the basement hallways (happened last fall semester.) However, I have yet to actually see one in person, and I've lived here for 18 years now. :evil:

ryantss said:
My name is Ryan and I'm from Kansas. I'm at the University of Kansas as a sophomore, but I'm sitting at home in Overland Park on Spring Break since KU lost on Friday night (so much for my road trip plans!) :doh:

I'm hearing impaired, but can sign and speak, though I tend to speak more often than sign. Other than that, I dunno what else to say! Just ask!
Welcome to AD! Enjoy your stay around here, Ryan! :thumb:

Born-deaf or ?

Magatsu said:
Born-deaf or ?

Yep, born with it. I know some people dislike the term I use to describe my condition, but it's what I use, no offense intended. 90% hearing loss without hearing aids, 64% capacity with hearing aids.

ryantss said:
Yep, born with it. I know some people dislike the term I use to describe my condition, but it's what I use, no offense intended. 90% hearing loss without hearing aids, 64% capacity with hearing aids.
No offense taken. You are entitled to your opinion as much as I am.

Anyway, thanks for answer ;)

but can sign and speak, though I tend to speak more often than sign. Other than that, I dunno what else to say! Just ask!
Very cool....did you grow up without sign or what? What kind of educational placement were you in?

Welcome to AD Ryantss, you aren't the only one that speaks in voice more than using signs. I have met some deaf who know nothing about sign but speak. It was interesting. :D

deafdyke said:
Very cool....did you grow up without sign or what? What kind of educational placement were you in?

I learned sign language at Gallaudet until I was three and my family moved to Kansas. I spoke my first word at the age of 2, and my parents understood what I said because I signed it at the same time I spoke it.

I was placed in a mainstream environment in a school district that was progressive enough to have its own deaf/hoh/hi program that ensured all of us were receiving the same level of treatment and education (i.e. making sure that we learned, instead of 'dumbing it down' for us), and a close-knit community of families who had children that were also deaf/hoh/hi and mainstreamed. We all had interpreters in every single class, even for those of us who were in the gifted program as well. I took speech therapy until third grade, and to this day I still have people telling me that they cannot believe I'm hearing impaired because of how well I speak.

I just can't sing a good note to save my life. :mrgreen:

I cannot stress the excellence of the school district I attended (Shawnee Mission School District.)

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf ryantss! Hope you'll enjoy your stay.... :thumb: It's good to have you here in AD!

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to AD and enjoy your stay here ;)

Back