going to concerts

cdmeggers

Reaction score
Any of you go to concerts? How do you enjoy them? Are you able to hear the music, or do you just feel the vibrations from the music?

I'm just curious. I've been to 3 concerts so far, and have enjoyed every single one of them. The first one, I left my hearing aid on. I was able to hear the music well enough, but I also heard quite a bit of the audience screaming/clapping/cheering etc. 2nd and 3rd concerts, I took my hearing aid off and heard just the music only, no audience! Now that was fun. If I can get close enough to a speaker, it's just the perfect volume to hear the music being played without the hearing aid on.

A few years back, a band (I think it was Simple Plan) did something special for several deaf concert attendees for a concert they did in Canada I think.. they somehow used a loop system or something like that so the deaf attendees could switch their hearing aid or CI to a different setting and pick up on the music the band was playing. I thought that was real neat what the band did for them, and wonder why more bands don't do this!

I use to go along time ago.I can't make out the singing but I can hear the music if its loud enough.

The folk fest I attend, Falcon Ridge has a ton of 'terps. It is SO much fun.....lots of deafies there as a result. I go to a lot of concerts too...I love the music. The last one I went to, was Indigo Girls. One time my mom went down to the local performing arts center to ask about tickets for Weird Al. It was sold out or we would have gotten kinda crappy tickets. I forget which...Anyway my mom asked if there was anything available for dhh folks. ....so as a result we got FRONT ROW SEATS!!!! TOO COOL for WORDS!!!

I LOVE going to concerts! I really like the local bands better than the well-known bands. Sometimes I would be really still (while everyone is so wild with dancing, etc.) because I'm concentrating on the music.

I used to be an interpreter (CDI certified) for a well-known country music artist. That experience was awesome, and I learned a lot about music and how the industry works.

I generally listen with my implant and hearing aid, but if I'm dancing, I do enjoy sometimes taking them off and just grooving to the beat. It's a nice break from the BOOMBOOMBOOM inside my head, but keeps the rest of the experience intact. Not like I can understand English in that kind of environment anyway :-D

I have been to concert several times before. I took my hearing aid off because I hear very loud and felt the vibration from my body. It was fun experienced. I saw few deaf there at one concert. I'm going to concert this next november.

I recently went to a Nine Inch Nails concert! I enjoyed it with my CI and HA. The acoustics in the stadium were horrible (it was a hockey arena...) It was undoubtedly one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. I love NIN!

I'm going to 2 concerts soon (one in Minneapolis next month and one in Denver in Nov.), both are Hanson concerts. The Minneapolis show, I should have a pretty good spot/view, so I won't be on GA floor which is good. I like being able to see the band play. As for Denver, it's all GA only, don't know how that one will work out. But will find out. Each concert is always a different experience for me. I just wondered what other deaf people's concert experiences were like. :)

I'm going to 2 concerts soon (one in Minneapolis next month and one in Denver in Nov.), both are Hanson concerts. The Minneapolis show, I should have a pretty good spot/view, so I won't be on GA floor which is good. I like being able to see the band play. As for Denver, it's all GA only, don't know how that one will work out. But will find out. Each concert is always a different experience for me. I just wondered what other deaf people's concert experiences were like. :)

Hanson? Like...MmmBop? They are still singing? Lol

yes. they have their own indie label, released an album last year and are still touring and making music and all that stuff.

I've only been to 2 concerts in my life, one when I was a little mildly HoH, Spice Girls-obsessed 9-year-old.

The second was a Rajaton concert last year. If you haven't heard of them before, they're a Finnish a capella group of 6 (3 men, 3 women, ie. bass, btone, tenor, alto, mezzo-sop, sop) and their popularity is skyrocketing. The concert itself was pretty grand; I got a little bored with songs if I couldn't tell what the lyrics were... But I already knew about 6 of the songs they sung, anyway, and some of their songs aren't in English and some are all melody, no words. So I wasn't really at any loss compared to the rest of the people at the concert and I had a great time.

they have never stopped making music. just nowadays, they also make kids as well as music, whoa. :)

I may be taking a deaf friend with me to the Hanson show in Denver in November. should be fun. That should be fun, doing the 1-mile walk with Hanson (they've been doing 1-mile walks before their concerts, to promote awareness of AIDS and poverty in Africa and encouraging people to make a difference with whatever causes), and she and I could be chatting away in ASL. Hm!

I have been to a few concert long time ago. I have seen Cat Stevens, Suzi Quatro (two times) and Kiss. Now it is hard to get tickets to go the concert for big well known bands cos it sell very quick. I tried to get tickets for Fleetwood Mac concert a few years ago but it all sold out within an hour! Dang! I mostly hear the music but not all of what they singing about. :)

Concerts are awesome. I've been to well over 100+ id say. Everyone of 'em is unique and different. Some worse than others, but still quite the expirience. I tend to go to metal shows a lot. Why? A lot of bands like to invest in the whole stage show/props type of thing to give the audience a surreal visual expirience as well. And that makes the price of admission definatly worth it.

I use to go along time ago.I can't make out the singing but I can hear the music if its loud enough.

I know what you mean. My kids and I went to see Linkin Park a couple weeks ago. As much as I love their music and know all their songs, it took me a minute to figure out which song they were singing, when I did catch on it was almost like it was more memory than hearing.. does that make sense?? It was a great concert, just a little disappointing since I couldn't jam out the way I thought I would.

I know what you mean. My kids and I went to see Linkin Park a couple weeks ago. As much as I love their music and know all their songs, it took me a minute to figure out which song they were singing, when I did catch on it was almost like it was more memory than hearing.. does that make sense?? It was a great concert, just a little disappointing since I couldn't jam out the way I thought I would.

Yes that does make sense I been losing more of my hearing over the years and your right it is more from memory.

Back