Genealogy - your family tree

How about if first cousins married and lowered the pool of grandparents? Because then there would be six ancestors.

now I have to put in a disclaimer: I am not even an irish.

Now you guys can proceed.

It really, truly isn't possible to be 1/3 anything. You always had two parents, four grandparents, eight great-grands, 16 great-great-grands, etc.

There is no way to get 1/3 (2/6) out of that. It's always going to be 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc., etc. You can add some of those fractions up, but they will never be divisible by 3.

So a .33333333333333333333334 is not a third either?

too many my last :lol: I consider family too many relative I am pretty knew on my family I forget on name my family, my grandma teach me invite to new uncle to involve family worth good , I was glad of see hear positive I am execpt to grow family strong!

I remember my social worker said research expertiment to family lots of reason good deal! help better family relative!

So a .33333333333333333333334 is not a third either?

No, because 1/3 is defined as a repeating decimal where it is equal to 0.33333-> goes on forever, the number "3" continues to infinity. What you presented is an approximate third and is not defined as a 1/3.

No, because 1/3 is defined as a repeating decimal where it is equal to 0.33333-> goes on forever, the number "3" continues to infinity. What you presented is an approximate third and is not defined as a 1/3.

In general discussion of family history I've never seen anyone go "I am EXACTLY 1/3 Irish."

Also, what do you get when you add .3333 three times, .9999 where did that .0001 go? Is that an approximate third, too?

In general discussion of family history I've never seen anyone go "I am EXACTLY 1/3 Irish."

Also, what do you get when you add .3333 three times, .9999 where did that .0001 go? Is that an approximate third, too?

There is no missing ".0001" because it's a repeating decimal. It goes on forever. That's the beauty of math. The ".0000.....1" whatever, doesn't exist!

I did see Michael Scott claim to be 2/15ths native american on "The Office". Of course that was the joke.

Are you also saying over the duration of like lets say 500 people that contributed to your being that you can't ever be 1/3 of something and 2/3 of everything else?

But, straightforward genealogy, it doesn't make sense

You can get close if you are mostly mutt. :lol: j/k

I've been doing extensive research on my ancestors. As far back as we can trace, my dad's side is 100% Swedish. We're stuck there because the records from 1600-1700 are all in Swedish and I can't read 'em !! :lol:

My mom's side is, paternally, as far back as we can trace 100% Norweigan, and maternally, a mix of Danish and French.

So I'm pretty much Scandinavian :)

Yep, you've got a pretty pure bloodline going there.:giggle:

Erk. The nitpicking already about numbers. If PFH wants to feel he's roughly a third Irish, let it be.

And they say we get nit picky about Deaf ID.:laugh2:

Hey, it's my ethnicity...I will identify in any way I choose. Don't like it, oh well.

How about if first cousins married and lowered the pool of grandparents? Because then there would be six ancestors.

Exactly. Not everything is as straight forward, all or nothing, black and white as some would like to reduce it to.

Back