Genealogy - your family tree

Macular degeneration runs in my maternal grandmother's side of the family. Grandma Lu had macular degeneration and cataracts and was legally blind after having cataract surgery. Her twin sister had macular degerantion and cataracts as well. She died of a blood clot to the brain. Grandmother's older sister has macular degeneration and glaucoma as well as cataracts. Luckily my mother and her 2 brothers do not show any signs of any of that. My eye problems are something totally different and unrelated.

Yeah, if they had changed it ot Holt or Stauffer, or something, you could see where they were coming from.:giggle:

I wonder if maybe they saw a sign with the name Meyer on it, recognized it's German roots, but felt it was more Americanized?
Mmm. I didn't know Meyers had German roots.

As for my mother's family; the Grove name has been spelled variously as Graf, Groff, Greoff and Knaufman got changed to Coffman on my mother's side of the family.

1/4 english, 1/4french, 1/8 Mi'kmaq (there is some debate over this), 3/8 irish

hearing difficulties run on my others side of the family (the french line) as well as epilepsy and a few other things.

Mmm. I didn't know Meyers had German roots.

As for my mother's family; the Grove name has been spelled variously as Graf, Groff, Greoff and Knaufman got changed to Coffman on my mother's side of the family.

Meyer meaning and name origin

Meyer \me-yer\ as a boy's name is of German and Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Meyer is "farmer; bright one". Architect Richard Meier; financier Mayer Rothschild.

Meyer has 6 variant forms: Mayeer, Mayer, Mayor, Meier, Meir and Myer.

Baby names that sound like Meyer are Maier, Mareo, Marr, Mar, Morey, Meiri, More and Muir.

Meyer | meaning of Meyer | name Meyer

Meyer meaning and name origin

Meyer \me-yer\ as a boy's name is of German and Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Meyer is "farmer; bright one". Architect Richard Meier; financier Mayer Rothschild.

Meyer has 6 variant forms: Mayeer, Mayer, Mayor, Meier, Meir and Myer.

Baby names that sound like Meyer are Maier, Mareo, Marr, Mar, Morey, Meiri, More and Muir.

Meyer | meaning of Meyer | name Meyer

:ty:

I am not sure my mother is last martens, my father is last smith

I don't know my relative :hm: hard to figure out!

I am not sure my mother is last martens, my father is last smith

I don't know my relative :hm: hard to figure out!

Those names are usually English. Smith is sometimes German if they changed it from Schmidt when they immigrated.

Those names are usually English. Smith is sometimes German if they changed it from Schmidt when they immigrated.

thank, sound interesting I am very surprised, too many my last smith
people last smith

that is interesting!

How to Participate - DNA Ancestry Project

It was this thing. Not that expensive. El cheapo is $119, and the more advanced is $199.

I don't know what the $1,000 program might be, but I'm sure the one I did was one of these versions.

A friend of mine is >1% African.

Turned out while he was researching, the Romans left a legion of African soldiers on the Rhine. So any German you see with dark, heavy hair with dark eyes are descendants of the Roman foreign legionnaires. In fact, they have a historical name: Black Germans.

Hitler is a Black German.

Seriously? Wow, that's fascinating. I did not know that.

When my husband and I were in the U.K., we had the opportunity to see some Roman ruins in various places there. It always amazes me; those Romans were some sturdy marchers! To think of going all that distance, and managing their supply lines, and putting their form of government into operation into all those areas - it's mind-boggling, really.

Incidentally, a fact I learned a long time about how our own system of government still has traces of Roman law - do you know why we have 12 people on a jury? It's because U.S. law came from British common law, and British common law came in large part from the Romans. And the Romans - believed in astrology. They believed that to get a fair trial, the jury must be composed of 12 people, one from each sign of the zodiac.

Therefore we still have 12-man juries today, even though there's really no other reason than the Roman belief in astrology to have 12 people.

Seriously? Wow, that's fascinating. I did not know that.

When my husband and I were in the U.K., we had the opportunity to see some Roman ruins in various places there. It always amazes me; those Romans were some sturdy marchers! To think of going all that distance, and managing their supply lines, and putting their form of government into operation into all those areas - it's mind-boggling, really.

Incidentally, a fact I learned a long time about how our own system of government still has traces of Roman law - do you know why we have 12 people on a jury? It's because U.S. law came from British common law, and British common law came in large part from the Romans. And the Romans - believed in astrology. They believed that to get a fair trial, the jury must be composed of 12 people, one from each sign of the zodiac.

Therefore we still have 12-man juries today, even though there's really no other reason than the Roman belief in astrology to have 12 people.

Well I learned something new!

Quite something, isn't it, that more than 2,000 years later, our system of justice still has traces of ancient Roman law.

Back