gay interpreters.

duh, me.. I meant to say i could tell some of the terps because of their body languages/facial expressions.

I will be right back on this one. I need to pee...
ok

I must say, as a professional interpreter, this is the first time I was aware that one's sexuality was important to the job. I can truthfully say that it never came up in any of my assignments.

I'm curious. How do you know that your interpreters are gay? Do they introduce themselves that way? Do you ask?

I know many terps who are gay. Most terps I know are females and they're straight but most male terps I met are gay. I like them very much because they're a great conversationalist and like to have a good time.

and no they never introduce themselves as gay to me but I can tell. it's pretty obvious.

For terp purpose - I prefer CODA or gay terp. They're very easy to read and their expression are excellent. There are a couple of straight terps I know who are very good too.

they are usually more expressive than straight people.
That seems like a stereotypical statement.

Are you saying that if your new terp is very expressive you would assume he's gay?

Now, I am back.
Sorry, it took so long to reply you. I was talking to my mother online. She just wanted to say that she will be praying for me tomorrow. I will go to the hospital for my screening colonoscopy. (My sister will take me there.) I will probably have some diarrhea from the prep. What fun!

I was going to say the same thing, Jiro. You took the words right out of my mouth. :lol: Yep, he's right. Also, their clothing, hairstyle, and so forth. Do you get my drift, Reba?

Now, I am back.
Sorry, it took so long to reply you. I was talking to my mother online. She just wanted to say that she will be praying for me tomorrow. I will go to the hospital for my screening colonoscopy. (My sister will take me there.) I will probably have some diarrhea from the prep. What fun!
I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. :hug:

I was going to say the same thing, Jiro. You took the words right out of my mouth. :lol: Yep, he's right. Also, their clothing, hairstyle, and so forth. Do you get my drift, Reba?
Like I replied to Jiro, that seems to stereotype gay people.

no......

so that's like saying - a man should act like a man and woman should act like a woman....... so is that gender stereotype?

or if a girl acts like a guy..... is that tomboy stereotype too?

I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. :hug:

Me, too, thanks. :hug:

Right, they are sooo wonderful, fun to be round, and easy conversation. I love them.

no......

so that's like saying - a man should act like a man and woman should act like a woman....... so is that gender stereotype?

or if a girl acts like a guy..... is that tomboy stereotype too?
If it's not a stereotype, then by just observing someone's appearance and interpreting style, one shouldn't be able to accurately guess the terp's sexual orientation.

Yes, it is stereotyping but sometimes I can't help the thoughts in my head when I see a male terp crossing his legs in a certain manner, wears pink or purple socks, wear thick scarves even in the building, has nail polish and wears makeup. Kinda hard not to think, "he might be gay." Sorry

It is not exactly a stereotype if there is association attached, especially material objects. Certain gays do identify to be gay with right ear piercings or articles of clothing. for example.
It is like seeing someone who wears a necklace with the cross on it. What is your first reaction?

If it's not a stereotype, then by just observing someone's appearance and interpreting style, one shouldn't be able to accurately guess the terp's sexual orientation.

and there's more to it. you can't be that clueless :lol:

It is not exactly a stereotype if there is association attached, especially material objects. Certain gays do identify to be gay with right ear piercings or articles of clothing. for example.
It was the "gay expressions and body language" that I was asking about.

It is like seeing someone who wears a necklace with the cross on it. What is your first reaction?
No reaction. It's fashionable for even non-Christians to wear cross necklaces, so it doesn't mean anything. I don't even recall anyone at my church wearing a cross necklace.

It was the "gay expressions and body language" that I was asking about.

No reaction. It's fashionable for even non-Christians to wear cross necklaces, so it doesn't mean anything. I don't even recall anyone at my church wearing a cross necklace.

You are right, it is fashionable. Really, none of us should ever make stereotype assumptions but the thoughts DO cross in our minds from time to time.

If a man wearing boa feathers and heavy make-up with 12 inch high heels, what would you think?

I would definitely think he is a flamoyant gay! :lol:

and there's more to it. you can't be that clueless :lol:
So you admit that you stereotype gay people.

I thought we weren't supposed to stereotype people according to appearance.

Interesting.

You are right, it is fashionable. Really, none of us should ever make stereotype assumptions but the thoughts DO cross in our minds from time to time.

If a man wearing boa feathers and heavy make-up with 12 inch high heels, what would you think?

I would definitely think he is a flamoyant gay! :lol:
What would I think? I would think he was inappropriately dressed for an interpreting assignment. In fact, I don't think that's appropriate attire for a straight female terp either.

What would I think? I would think he was inappropriately dressed for an interpreting assignment. In fact, I don't think that's appropriate attire for a straight female terp either.

Oh..not at an assignment but out in public.

BUT I have had male terps wear nail polish, purple or pink socks, and make-up. It must be an urban thing since I live in the city (Baltimore and DC). :dunno:

So you admit that you stereotype gay people.
why are you making it sound like it's bad?

I thought we weren't supposed to stereotype people according to appearance.

Interesting.
Like I said - there's more to it than appearance. The gay terps I know dressed professionally.

why are you making it sound like it's bad?
Stereotyping, aka profiling, based on appearance is frequently criticized here at AD in other threads, so why not this one?

Also, I thought people didn't like their sexuality judged by surface appearance and mannerisms.

Are there not masculine gay men and feminine lesbians? Are there not dainty looking straight men and tomboy straight women?

It's usually liberal people who complain that conservative people do too much judging of books by their covers.

Like I said - there's more to it than appearance.
Such as?

Back