gay interpreters.

Oh, and darkangel....that always happens to me......the guys I like all end up being gay! I have no luck with guys!
Haha! I have the opposite problem! All the guys I like end up being straight! Its so annoying! I consider it an accomplishment when I meet someone that actually is gay haha but I never like them the same as straight men. They are so much more attractive to me than gays... :-P:D

Gay terp here - I have a theory that gay/lesbian people have more empathy for miscommunication and become interpreters mroe often. They live with changing their language, hiding their language, and saying things people want to hear so much that working as an interpreter is easy, once they master the language. People who really care about being understood and helping other people understand make the best interpreters.

Funny, I'm not an interpreter, but I need my language credit for highschool and I'm going with ASL. After more research, I'm considering that interpreting might be the career I'm looking for.

At first I wanted to learn because my sister is orally deaf, but after she got older she learned asl and got involved with the Deaf community. So I was curious. After thinking about it more though I realized Deaf people are probably the only people who aren't gay that would understand my experience of being gay. While everyone has been discriminated against at some point, gay people and Deaf people tend to share more of the scenarios over other minorities. I've seen my sister experience them and I have too. It's not my reason for learning the language, but it is an observation |:

So maybe it's just that -some- of the experiences within the communities are relatable.

Just a thought, I might be wrong =/

I don't care what the person's orientation is. They could be into monkeys for all I care, just as long as they do their job and do it well.

agreed
but funny how you say it :laugh2:

The reason the field is dominated by gay men is because we love to talk.

I'm not sure. I think it's because ASL Interpreting is usually a female-oriented profession. Gay men are usually less inclined to pay attention or care about gender roles for fear of looking "less macho".

Stereotyping, aka profiling, based on appearance is frequently criticized here at AD in other threads, so why not this one?

Also, I thought people didn't like their sexuality judged by surface appearance and mannerisms.

Are there not masculine gay men and feminine lesbians? Are there not dainty looking straight men and tomboy straight women?

It's usually liberal people who complain that conservative people do too much judging of books by their covers.

Right on Reba! Stereotyping is a form of predjudice and everyone is diminished by predjudice.:cool2:

I've never asked my male interpreters outright if they were gay. I just know one personally was gay from high school and we all were fine with it. Same with female interpreters I dont ask if they're gay or not. Just be good about interpreting. I personally think its dominated by straight women in my opinion

Some of these posts are really offensive. Substitute "deaf" for "gay" and remember all of the crap you have been subjected to because you are deaf, as if all deaf people are a certain way simply because they are deaf..get it???

I have noticed that several, not alot, but not a little either, of interpreters are gay and with a deaf person or whtever.. Or sometime interpreter is gay and single.. I have had about 3 or 4 interperter who intepret for me whom was gay/lesbian.

Also another thing i noticed.. when i see a realllllly hot boy or sooo cute or whatever, it ends up they are gay.
All the guys I see that strike my fancy are straight lol FML never met any other gay interpreters besides myself...I'm still in school though...:giggle:

Back