Games Still Have to Deal with Sexism

You're a perfect fit for free-2-play gaming, aka pay-2-win. Why bother becoming good at the game when you can just pull out your credit card and spend your way to a hollow victory? :wiggle:

All online games are pay-2-win (in Eve for example, can I not pay to get a big ship? and if I get a big ship don't I get to beat others with small ships, no matter how good they are at playing?) you can't "get good" at the game. Online games are just software, software is really simplistic and limited in what it can do. The software is the one that does the doing, not you. However skillful you are, you are just going to be limited by what the software can do (or allows you to do.)

I have played so many MMOs (both p2p and f2p) and all of them have serious restrictions. Also every game has a way to make anything you learn worthless overnight. Suppose for instance, I learn how to make a three-point shot in basketball. Once I learn it, the skill is mine for life. If I continue practicing, I will pretty much always be good at it. The laws of physics don't change overnight. Balls don't get bigger or smaller, hoops aren't higher today and lower tomorrow, courts don't suddenly change from cement to tar.

In addition, I can teach someone how to play, and that knowledge will stay with him, and if he practices often, he will be as good as me. Maybe he will find a better way to play, and then he will be better than me. And then he might teach someone, and then maybe he will find a better way and be better. In this way humanity will progress. This can happen for generation after generation, and then one day, one of your descendants will be professional ball player.

If you learn in an MMO that if you do X, Y happens, then you do X and Y happens all the time, then maybe you have learned something. But tomorrow someone changes something in the code and all of a sudden Y doesn't happen when you do X. So what is the benefit of all your learning then?

Do we not all exist to build a better future for our children?

All online games are pay-2-win (in Eve for example, can I not pay to get a big ship? and if I get a big ship don't I get to beat others with small ships, no matter how good they are at playing?) you can't "get good" at the game. Online games are just software, software is really simplistic and limited in what it can do. The software is the one that does the doing, not you. However skillful you are, you are just going to be limited by what the software can do (or allows you to do.)

Yes, you can pay to get a big ship. You'd also have to pay to get implants to speed up the training needed to fly such a big ship, and then I guarantee you'd have it blown out from under you because you, the player, didn't know how to fly it properly.

If you learn in an MMO that if you do X, Y happens, then you do X and Y happens all the time, then maybe you have learned something. But tomorrow someone changes something in the code and all of a sudden Y doesn't happen when you do X. So what is the benefit of all your learning then?

Do we not all exist to build a better future for our children?

Hang on, don't try and bring that stuff in here... any sport or hobby could be considered pointless and without benefit if you really wanted to make it sound like that, that's not what we're talking about. The rules in sports can change too.

Yes, you can pay to get a big ship. You'd also have to pay to get implants to speed up the training needed to fly such a big ship, and then I guarantee you'd have it blown out from under you because you, the player, didn't know how to fly it properly.

If you had money you'd just get another ship.. or pay someone to teach you lol. If you don't go that route, how many months do you have to pay for before you figure out how it works? and you want to tell me it's not pay to win? :)

But that's beside the point, you want to argue that there's skill involved in playing an MMO? okay then why can't a more skillful guy with a small ship beat a less skillful guy with a big ship?

Hang on, don't try and bring that stuff in here... any sport or hobby could be considered pointless and without benefit

All sports have benefits, you get to stay healthy, and you get to learn something you can pass on.

if you really wanted to make it sound like that, that's not what we're talking about. The rules in sports can change too.

But they do not change because someone, somewhere made a mistake that no one found out about.

I dunno,
I think game creators design games around market demand. I do see a huge increase in the female gamer market so games are being designed more with you in mind. Its naturally evolving that way so bickering about it is a moot point. As for how games perceive women in most cases its the same for men as well. Men are pictured as hairless muscular tall dark and hansome figures so I also think the female complaint about looks is a moot point.
There are games that do picture women as sex abjects like hooker characters, DukeNukeM for example. I dont think they should stop designing games that way but maybe add the male counter part as hookers as well?

I can tell you there was no shortage of scantily clad women in costume(and I'm not talking models or marketing people) who attended PAX 2013 this past weekend. Women gamers don't seem to be against the sexism as far as I could tell. Beyond that, I don't think people at the show thought of them as unequal. My guess is they were thought of as hard core gamers.

Paul, I'm prety sure that they are more likely eager to try new games, so I doubt that they'll think of sexism at PAX '13 at first... I know I would because some games are really great! Is it excited, isn't it!? :P

Well, does anybody know why Ashley Johnson was so excited to try Ellie (from The Last of Us) for her very first time? Have you heard of how Aveline (From Assassin's Creed series) got a bunch of shitty sexist critics and racial slurs, just because she's Black and female? I wish David would be less hypocrite, but hence the title, all after...

Again, nobody will try to take your games away or prevent them from giving female characters sexy or objectified clothes. NOBODY. I, too, don't support it at all. I doubt they would support it. Also, there is no mention that they should stop design something game. So, don't you worry about it. :) And, I really encourage you to read Tom's blog entry: Tropes Vs Women in Video Games: Part 1 by *TomPreston on deviantART

-----

Yeah, I prefer a single player game and my account stays offline. I'm not quite fond of socialized multiplayer games, too. I really wish 'PS3: The Sims 3' doesn't require fans to log in. Sometimes, I accidently download something from random fans when I tried to pick some clothes for my Sims. Good grief. I notice that you once log in your account for store, you can't log out. I have to go to log out my personal account and re-log in, so my store account goes off. *groans* Well, I really hope they improve TS4 better, and those games do not have to be required to log in, or a number of online partners requirement. I notice a few shooting games did require you to have a partner to complete a level. Ouch! I don't remember what game's title is, so yeah, it really sucks. I can't understand why it 'needs' for...?

Back