Games Still Have to Deal with Sexism

Surely we should just be seeing that one person has been kidnapped and another is going to their assistance, not their individual genders? :laugh2:

Maybe, but I think people miss a lot if they don't take gender into account. Besides, it's hardwired isn't it? women are nice to look at, it's a guy thing I guess, I dunno lol.

Admittedly not that realistic yet, but definitely a step in the right direction :)

I haven't played the game, but I read that she struggles to come to terms with killing people in the cutscenes - but in the actual gameplay she blasts people left right and centre.

That's human nature, it's always easier after the first time. It's just like when you first have your aids on and everything is too loud, but then you get used to it, and then you do what you have to do.

How far do you want your character to become banged up looking from their adventures? Faith (from Mirror's Edge) would do one of those flying jumps to land on a pipe, smash her face, black out and fall off the building.

Lol that's just stupid. I don't mean banged up.. I mean, if you climb a lot, in humid areas, you can get really sweaty and dirty. If you compare this to the earlier "Tomb Raider"s you can see how much progress has been made.

She actually looks like a real person now, and not like a silly blow-up doll :)

Niko Bellic would get shot, collapse in pain and have to call 911 and then spend a few weeks in hospital (depending on where he got shot).

It'd be kind of hard to call 911 out there on the island lol :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Actually, that's unofficial anti-mosaic censor mods from some random Sims fans, not EA itself. In my game, by EA's default, there is still censored around naked Sims whenever they do.

Yup, had the anti-mosaic for the first two games. My point is that it's ridiculous that you have a game filled where everything goes but something as harmless as taking a bath gets censored.

That's human nature, it's always easier after the first time. It's just like when you first have your aids on and everything is too loud, but then you get used to it, and then you do what you have to do.

What I meant was that her actions in the game and in the cutscenes don't align. I haven't played it, remember, but this is what I've been told (which is always the basis of an informed opinion)

Lol that's just stupid. I don't mean banged up.. I mean, if you climb a lot, in humid areas, you can get really sweaty and dirty. If you compare this to the earlier "Tomb Raider"s you can see how much progress has been made.

She actually looks like a real person now, and not like a silly blow-up doll :)

They could've changed the textures to show injuries or dirt back in the PS1 and Saturn days if they'd really wanted to.

It'd be kind of hard to call 911 out there on the island lol :)

Nico Bellic is in Liberty City, not on Godforsaken Isle, just off the coast of Japan where Lara Croft is being spunky but vulnerable. What about Faith? Are there many pipes on the island for her to leap at?

Yup, had the anti-mosaic for the first two games. My point is that it's ridiculous that you have a game filled where everything goes but something as harmless as taking a bath gets censored.

:lol: That's your The Sims preference, please keep in that mind, okay? :ty: I like to keep things simple and clean, and I'm grateful that EA gives Sims fans a bunch of choices for clothes, objects, and etc. I applause those fans who will to give some useful mods that they and I can use.

So, if you think I'm "stupid" for not having an anti-censor mod on my game, fine, whatever you say or think. At the least, I am not going to put it on my game for you because you think my personal preference is "ridiculous", anyway. :roll:

:lol: That's your The Sims preference, please keep in that mind, okay? :ty: I like to keep things simple and clean, and I'm grateful that EA gives Sims fans a bunch of choices for clothes, objects, and etc. I applause those fans who will to give some useful mods that they and I can use.

Keep my preferences in mind too. I don't see what's so horrible about a person getting out of a shower, especially when that same person might be a polygamist with same and opposite sex partners. Some people would find that very offensive! What's more, modding your game is something that EA is increasingly against and so soon my preferences won't be catered for by those helpful fans, it'll be enormous mosaics appearing, jarringly, with no option built in (why not just give us that?) to turn them off.

So, if you think I'm "stupid" for not having an anti-censor mod on my game, fine, whatever you say or think. At the least, I am not going to put it on my game for you because you think my personal preference is "ridiculous", anyway. :roll:

Thanks for putting words in my mouth and then taking something that was not directed at anyone personally, personally. Why are you trying to start a fight?

Keep my preferences in mind too. I don't see what's so horrible about a person getting out of a shower, especially when that same person might be a polygamist with same and opposite sex partners. Some people would find that very offensive! What's more, modding your game is something that EA is increasingly against and so soon my preferences won't be catered for by those helpful fans, it'll be enormous mosaics appearing, jarringly, with no option built in (why not just give us that?) to turn them off.

That's fine! You don't think it's big deal about nudity, which is your personal choice to use a mod to get ruin of blurry censors. Power to you. Yeah, I'm nothing against poly-sexual and GLBT Sims as they don't bother me, anyway.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth and then taking something that was not directed at anyone personally, personally. Why are you trying to start a fight?

Then why did you say, "[...] you have a game filled where everything goes but something as harmless as taking a bath gets censored." It does sound like you directly talked to me. =/

That's fine! You don't think it's big deal about nudity, which is your personal choice to use a mod to get ruin of blurry censors. Power to you. Yeah, I'm nothing against poly-sexual and GLBT Sims as they don't bother me, anyway.

Agreed. I wish they'd be progressive enough (they already really, really are!) to make the mosaic an option in the menu, and maybe to allow any sim to wear any clothing regardless of gender.

Then why did you say, "[...] you have a game filled where everything goes but something as harmless as taking a bath gets censored." It does sound like you directly talked to me. =/

Sorry, that's the English language being misinterpreted. 'You' in that context is directed at nobody in particular, not 'you' (possessive) as in 'You, KarissaMann05, own a copy of the Sims which has censorship.'

I'll rephrase it while keeping my intended meaning:
"My point is that it's ridiculous that there's a game where everything goes but something as harmless as taking a bath gets censored."

The mosaic isn't your doing, I don't blame you for it. I do, however, believe that everything should be made an option and each person playing the game is permitted to make their own choices about what they do and don't want in it.

Agreed. I wish they'd be progressive enough (they already really, really are!) to make the mosaic an option in the menu, and maybe to allow any sim to wear any clothing regardless of gender.

You really should check ModtheSims, there were a few Sim fans got fussy about sex-same pregnancy. Oh, boy. lol

Anyway, I did try two dads and their family, and it was awesome story. Mainly, they were in a long advantage for worlds.

Sorry, that's the English language being misinterpreted. 'You' in that context is directed at nobody in particular, not 'you' (possessive) as in 'You, KarissaMann05, own a copy of the Sims which has censorship.'

I'll rephrase it while keeping my intended meaning:
"My point is that it's ridiculous that there's a game where everything goes but something as harmless as taking a bath gets censored."

The mosaic isn't your doing, I don't blame you for it. I do, however, believe that everything should be made an option and each person playing the game is permitted to make their own choices about what they do and don't want in it.

Okay. And I should make an apology; I'm sorry. Yes, they should have. I feel EA don't have many options for freckles (There are only two options. What a bummer!), animal skins, and etc. That is why we have wonderful makers. :)

You really should check ModtheSims, there were a few Sim fans got fussy about sex-same pregnancy. Oh, boy. lol

Anyway, I did try two dads and their family, and it was awesome story. Mainly, they were in a long advantage for worlds.

I keep being tempted by the Sims 3 when it comes up on Steam... but I have to be strong! The Sims 4 is being made, and it looks like it could be incredible. Too bad it's an EA game.

Okay. And I should make an apology; I'm sorry. Yes, they should have. I feel EA don't have many options for freckles (There are only two options. What a bummer!), animal skins, and etc. That is why we have wonderful makers. :)

No problem. :)

Unfortunately, as the new SimCity is showing us, EA think their games need a bigger and bigger 'mainstream audience' (in other words, made simpler and easier) and also are obsessed with controlling how you use it (always on internet connection). That's why I fear there'll be no The Sims 4 mods just like there weren't any Battlefield mods. They want to sell you DLC and addons, but user-made mods eat into their potential profits.

I wish that Battlefield 3 has offline multiplayer bots like BF2 did because I'm not very well fitted with socialized game multiplayer.

Have you played one of Cage's previous games, Fahrenheit (aka The Indigo Prophecy)?

One of the two main characters is Carla Valenti who is an intelligent, independent, professional police detective. An excellent female character.

Oh wait, here comes her shower scene. Look how big her boobs are! And they're all soapy and the camera is going to move slowly around her body to let you get a good look.

SPOILER: We're back later, and now she's getting them out again to have sex with the other protagonist! A sex scene that's come completely out of nowhere, makes no sense in the context of the story and just feels like exploitation.

Way to cheapen the whole thing, Cage.

I remember trialing that one, it had a demo. Even the demo didn't make a lot of sense :P

I wish that Battlefield 3 has offline multiplayer bots like BF2 did because I'm not very well fitted with socialized game multiplayer.

Games developers are obsessed with voice chat. There's text chat and also a great order-giving system in Natural Selection 2 (so the commander can direct you where he or she needs you to build stuff or help other players by placing waypoints on your HUD). NOBODY USES THEM. It's all voice chat.

I remember trialing that one, it had a demo. Even the demo didn't make a lot of sense :P

It starts off fairly well as a murder investigation story, with the neat twist of playing as the murderer and then the detective (so you can choose to hide the murder weapon but it doesn't show you where you put it, and as the detective you have to find it). Then it just goes completely nuts and weird. The previous David Cage game (Omikron: The Nomad Soul) did the same thing: It started as a police investigation in a cool futuristic city, and then demons and magic and stuff show up and it all fell apart completely.

Games developers are obsessed with voice chat. There's text chat and also a great order-giving system in Natural Selection 2 (so the commander can direct you where he or she needs you to build stuff or help other players by placing waypoints on your HUD). NOBODY USES THEM. It's all voice chat.

It starts off fairly well as a murder investigation story, with the neat twist of playing as the murderer and then the detective (so you can choose to hide the murder weapon but it doesn't show you where you put it, and as the detective you have to find it). Then it just goes completely nuts and weird. The previous David Cage game (Omikron: The Nomad Soul) did the same thing: It started as a police investigation in a cool futuristic city, and then demons and magic and stuff show up and it all fell apart completely.

Voice chat? Yes, that's pretty communication barrier for deaf people.

I don't use it, but Microsoft has speech recognition software and you could probably use Googles as well. It's not perfect, but if you can talk through the games and see the text it might work.

Perhaps this is already implemented, I'd look into it.

During games, you can't message as the typing takes too long unless it is a very slow game(for a while there though that was the only way which was cool).

When I play multi I don't usually chat anyway.

Voice chat? Yes, that's pretty communication barrier for deaf people.

Yeah. In my experience it's used for:
-11 year olds to call each other gay
-wannabe gangstas to play really bad music at you
-loud static noise or breathing sounds from someone with a broken or overly sensitive microphone

I used to play EvE Online, my corp instituted a policy of having to be connected to their voice chat server whenever you were in the game. I ignored it, because their reason (so we could be ready to go into battle at a moment's notice) was redundant, it was just so they could sit there and talk crap for hours and hours. When I went to EvE meets I bitched about it to a community manager and a former developer and they said it was pretty much par for the course in EvE, you *have to* use voice chat. I found one Deaf corp but they weren't active any more.

Yeah. In my experience it's used for:
-11 year olds to call each other gay
-wannabe gangstas to play really bad music at you
-loud static noise or breathing sounds from someone with a broken or overly sensitive microphone

I used to play EvE Online, my corp instituted a policy of having to be connected to their voice chat server whenever you were in the game. I ignored it, because their reason (so we could be ready to go into battle at a moment's notice) was redundant, it was just so they could sit there and talk crap for hours and hours. When I went to EvE meets I bitched about it to a community manager and a former developer and they said it was pretty much par for the course in EvE, you *have to* use voice chat. I found one Deaf corp but they weren't active any more.

EvE to me seems like a silly game.. you pay to compete. Anyone who has more time and money is going to kick your butt sooner or later.

If I am going to compete with anyone, I'd much rather be paid for it lol rather than pay for it.

EvE to me seems like a silly game.. you pay to compete. Anyone who has more time and money is going to kick your butt sooner or later.

If I am going to compete with anyone, I'd much rather be paid for it lol rather than pay for it.

You're paying to have access to the game and all the other people there.

Once you get good at the game you can make enough money in-game to pay for your subscription (you can buy an in-game item called a PLEX that gives you another month's worth of subscription) and a lot of the hardcore people haven't paid to play in years.

You're paying to have access to the game and all the other people there.

Once you get good at the game you can make enough money in-game to pay for your subscription (you can buy an in-game item called a PLEX that gives you another month's worth of subscription) and a lot of the hardcore people haven't paid to play in years.

Wouldn't it be easier and more profitable to just get a job, buy your way up? it's not like, for instance, basketball. You can't buy a better three-point shot. You have to put in your time.

Also, with basketball a good player is a good player, a good player is a good player even barefoot. A guy in a cheap ship has no chance against a top-of-the-line however good he is. No amount of training will change that.

So I'm thinking, if you so want to be really good at this, why not just buy your way up? I'm missing the point, I know, but it's just because I don't know what the point is :)

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be easier and more profitable to just get a job, buy your way up? it's not like, for instance, basketball. You can't buy a better three-point shot. You have to put in your time.

Also, with basketball a good player is a good player, a good player is a good player even barefoot. A guy in a cheap ship has no chance against a top-of-the-line however good he is. No amount of training will change that.

So I'm thinking, if you so want to be really good at this, why not just buy your way up? I'm missing the point, I know, but it's just because I don't know what the point is :)

You're a perfect fit for free-2-play gaming, aka pay-2-win. Why bother becoming good at the game when you can just pull out your credit card and spend your way to a hollow victory? :wiggle:

I think the attitude is a problem not just with games but everywhere. People want immediate results and don't appreciate the satisfaction of earning success.

Back