Gallaudet President Announced!!

Endymion said:
I'll give you the most important limitation: assuming administrative academic roles. The university president is an administrative academic role and is open to academic doctoral recipients.

That's just silly. There are no limitations on the professional doctorate. In fact, I was originally led to believe that there were limitations on Ph.D's because all they do is "research" but not necessarily put anything into practice. Great thinkers, sure, but make them do any work, and they'll fall to pieces.

Let's look at a great school that carries a well-deserved, respected reputation as being a place to get your choice of degrees:

Harvard, School of Business

http://www.hbs.edu/doctoral/programs/dbavsphd.html

"What's the difference between the DBA and PhD?

The decision to pursue a particular doctoral degree at Harvard should be based on an individual's research interests and the approach one wishes to apply to that research. By reviewing each program's curriculum and faculty research interests, students can get a good sense of their potential fit.

Harvard Business School offers two types of doctoral degrees: Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). However, a student should not select a program based on the type, but rather on research focus and methods.

DBA: Power in Practice
Combining academic rigor and managerial relevance, the DBA program provides students with the flexibility to apply a broad range of disciplines and research methods to their chosen area of study. In addition, students benefit from the wide range of faculty expertise in management fields, such as accounting and marketing, and multiple opportunities to actively pursue field-based research.

PhD: Disciplinary and Management Expertise
The PhD programs are offered jointly by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) and Harvard Business School. They combine the disciplinary expertise of a GSAS department (e.g. Economics, Psychology) with the management expertise of HBS. As a result, students build a strong foundation in a particular discipline and then apply those methods and approaches to their research on relevant managerial problems"

There is no "academic" role. There is no, "Ph.D's are better than DBA's" for the purpose of selecting someone for a academic leadership role.

Or, from a similar section:

"http://www.hbs.edu/doctoral/programs/busec/index.html

The program is distinguished from the Harvard PhD in Economics by its greater emphasis on business fields and its focus on the use of economic analysis and statistical methods in dealing effectively with management problems in these applied business fields. At the same time, it is distinguished from the Doctor of Business Administration degree by its greater emphasis on economic theory and econometric analysis.

Yeah. So, what, a Ph.D means you're focusing more on theory than on practice? That makes them more prestigious, or more qualified, or more honored, than a doctorate who studied more practical uses in their field?

Ok. How about I address the crux of the matter. Jane Fernandes has a Ph. D in Comparative Literature. No education in how to run a college or a business, she is just an expert in studying the relationship between the literatures two or more cultures or languages.

According to you, from what I understand, just because she has a degree with the title, "Ph.D" she is automatically more qualified than someone who studied how to manage a college or an educational institution. That's how laughable your statements are.

Dennis said:
That's just silly. There are no limitations on the professional doctorate. In fact, I was originally led to believe that there were limitations on Ph.D's because all they do is "research" but not necessarily put anything into practice. Great thinkers, sure, but make them do any work, and they'll fall to pieces.
I don't share your sentiments on this issue. Allow me to give you an example. I may be shooting off from my hips, though! I have only the professional variety and not the academic one. ;)

Let's take Math as an example. A student could take a masters level regimen in Applied Mathematics, for instance. The student would be exposed to practical applications in using Applied Mathematics. The student would have a well rounded base of mathematical knowledge in which he can use in his daily work routine, and tackle a wide variety of problems.

If the student took a Ph.D regimen, he/she would have to create a new dissertation and defend it against assault by Ph.D holders. He/she just cannot reinvent the wheel. He/she must expand and contribute to an existing body of knowledge encompassing the field of Applied Mathematics. If successful, the student will have earned a Ph.D and contributed to the human race's mathematical knowledge.

Let's take the M.A. student and the Ph.D student to a Wall Street firm. If the position entails using existing statistical analysis and methods in charting securities and their market activities, the Wall Street firm will pick the M.A. student, as he/she will have more practical knowledge needed to do the job adequately. But, if the Wall Street firm wants to employ an entirely new paradigm in charting securities/market activities, they will always employ the Ph.D student.

In a nutshell, Ph.D's create entirely new concepts, paradigms, and generally advance human knowledge. All other professions merely make the known quantity into a practical commodity and carve out niches throughout society. Hence, the academic/professional dichotomy that Endymion has succinctly explained earlier in this thread.
According to you, from what I understand, just because she has a degree with the title, "Ph.D" she is automatically more qualified than someone who studied how to manage a college or an educational institution. That's how laughable your statements are.
I tend to agree with you on this, but it's a far reach from opining that such assertions are 'laughable'. By large, and a vast majority, a lot of academic institutions are run by Ph.D's and that tells you something, no? Obviously, colleges and universities should be more open to people with professional doctorates when it comes to staffing critical positions such as President, Provost, etc. Clinging to academic traditions instead of embracing change would be counterproductive.

Cane Corso said:
Wonder if you know who is Brian Steinhoff? Do u know the Amann family? Just curious siince u went to PDSD

yes Brian Steinhoff is my sequoia van driver. and yes i do know Bonelle, Frank they is my former teacher of ASL and Physcial Education.

:deal:
BigSpike said:
I totally disagree with you..you dont know who is Jane Fernandes, I have personally been there at DPN 1988 (I am former Gallaudet student and MSSD graduate) and I knew Jane's personality are BIG ISSUE...she never truly social with with different level of Deaf Students. She lack immersion of Deaf World...When she got job at Gallaudet, SHE NEVER SOCIAL with students..she all is just focus on higher position. When Jordan was president,I have personal conversation with him...it made me feel better even if he is good or bad president most impt he social period. You had no idea how DPN 1988 is and Jane Fernandes...I was there both way...dont blah about it...because you arent there yet!

well i am totally disagree with you too.. If Jane change their leadership styles and want immersion of Deaf World? so protest will continue? and what her goal to make good improvement for Gallaudet University? What will students see Jane change that way to be involve the deaf communication?

Jane statement that she have no envidence that she lack immersion of Deaf World and She try to make better for Gallaudet Student. and She statement that she not treat them like children

i have some point is.. i have been read I King Jordan's Biography. there i find abt him "Dr. Jordan is a native of Glen Riddle, Pennsylvania, a small town near Philadelphia. After graduating from high school, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served four years. An automobile accident left him profoundly deaf at age 21." so He is not deaf till he was age 21. and "No, Dr. Jordan grew up hearing and never met a deaf person until he became one himself. He learned ASL as a student at Gallaudet, much the same way as many of our New Signers Program participants do."

also i read Jane's Resume there is i find too
"Gallaudet University, Washington, D.C., American Sign Language and Linguistics courses, Summers 1981 and 1982
National Theatre of the Deaf Professional Summer School, Waterford, Connecticut, Summer 1982
St. Paul Technical-Vocational Institute, St. Paul, Minnesota, American Sign Language courses, Summer 1981"

so there compare between I KING JORDAN AND Jane K. Fernandes's background. they are some common. and Why they support I. King Jordan but why they not support Jane K. Fernandes? it not making sense.

Last edited:
azdeafteen said:
There is NO Wrong between Day School/Residental School for the Deaf between Mainsteam. I think Gallaudet Student are begin stupid and going protest before see how Dr. Jane K. Fernandes can make success for Gallaudet University. Maybe Dr. Jane K. Fernandes can change and begin more social with Gallaudet students. there is no perfect.

I am used to be student at Phoenix Day School for the deaf since 1991 to 2005. i leave PDSD to transfer to Sequoia School for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing on same campus of Arizona Conservatory for the Arts and Academics i am currently mainstream student. there is NONE Wrong with mainsteaming.

If I win the Gallaudet University they protest me i will NOT GOING STEP DOWN like Elisabeth Zinser. I will stay and keep strong in my mind and make it change for gallaudet university.

my options is Dr. Jane K. Fernandes is going to be 9 th president of Gallaudet University PERIOD. i want to see Dr. Jane K. Fernandes' experience with Gallaudet student and more interact.

So that means you prefer 100% hearies on Gally Board of Trustees?

EXCUSE ME! What about I King Jordan? He grew up oral then later learned sign then became Gally's first president! Now, you're all saying that Jane grew up oral and then sign later..... to me....what's the difference? We all got what we wanted 18 years ago with 1st DEAF president....and they're still whining? Grow up! :dunno:

Heath said:
I would not be surprised if G.U. students used the same agruement and logic to say that person used S.E.E. until say about age 18 then finally learned ASL but was not fully 100% ASL signed until about let's throw a number here, 43 years old and poof !!!!! Like that, instanteously the G.U. President.

dolphlynn said:
EXCUSE ME! What about I King Jordan? He grew up oral then later learned sign then became Gally's first president! Now, you're all saying that Jane grew up oral and then sign later..... to me....what's the difference? We all got what we wanted 18 years ago with 1st DEAF president....and they're still whining? Grow up! :dunno:

In 1988, there is NO ADA ERA....

Mookie said:
I'd appreciate a clarification what you mean by this statement. I have a feeling I know the answer, but I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth. :)

Eyeth said:
I'd appreciate a clarification what you mean by this statement. I have a feeling I know the answer, but I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth. :)

Come on.

Did you know there were 100% hearies on GU BOT before DPN in 1988s? That is very simple answer why there were too many hearies dominating the deafies' lives.

Don't you agree that there are lots of improvment for the deaf society with ADA, Relay Service, Interpeting Agency, and lots of deaf business owners and executives for the big firms.

Finally at last, no more opening positions for the printing companies...

Eyeth, are you going to apply for any blue collor position?

azdeafteen said:
:deal:

well i am totally disagree with you too.. If Jane change their leadership styles and want immersion of Deaf World? so protest will continue? and what her goal to make good improvement for Gallaudet University? What will students see Jane change that way to be involve the deaf communication?

Jane statement that she have no envidence that she lack immersion of Deaf World and She try to make better for Gallaudet Student. and She statement that she not treat them like children

i have some point is.. i have been read I King Jordan's Biography. there i find abt him "Dr. Jordan is a native of Glen Riddle, Pennsylvania, a small town near Philadelphia. After graduating from high school, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served four years. An automobile accident left him profoundly deaf at age 21." so He is not deaf till he was age 21. and "No, Dr. Jordan grew up hearing and never met a deaf person until he became one himself. He learned ASL as a student at Gallaudet, much the same way as many of our New Signers Program participants do."

also i read Jane's Resume there is i find too
"Gallaudet University, Washington, D.C., American Sign Language and Linguistics courses, Summers 1981 and 1982
National Theatre of the Deaf Professional Summer School, Waterford, Connecticut, Summer 1982
St. Paul Technical-Vocational Institute, St. Paul, Minnesota, American Sign Language courses, Summer 1981"

so there compare between I KING JORDAN AND Jane K. Fernandes's background. they are some common. and Why they support I. King Jordan but why they not support Jane K. Fernandes? it not making sense.

It is your opinion and thought, I respect it..I had received thousands of comments and thoughts from Gallaudet Alumni and Deaf Community...I am serving board of director for one of largest Deaf organization and I listened to their comment..unfortunately you lost the point..you wanted people to protest you for favoring Jane..it is your loss... :afro:

Mookie said:
Come on.

Did you know there were 100% hearies on GU BOT before DPN in 1988s? That is very simple answer why there were too many hearies dominating the deafies' lives.

Don't you agree that there are lots of improvment for the deaf society with ADA, Relay Service, Interpeting Agency, and lots of deaf business owners and executives for the big firms.

Finally at last, no more opening positions for the printing companies...

Eyeth, are you going to apply for any blue collor position?

Yes for many years Deafies was oppressed by hearies..it is big issue..Deafies want their own right and power!

Mookie said:
So that means you prefer 100% hearies on Gally Board of Trustees?

Yeah.. Gally Board of Trustee and President is who authorized and control over Gallaudet University. their job is interview with presidential search process.

Mookie said:

Can you please explain about ADA ERA? I quite don't get it.... What's wrong with giving Jane a chance....? Say, let her run and be president for let's say for the sake of arguement, let her run for 2 years, and if nothing changes, then fire her and have Ron or something (?) take her place.

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

My howls on Jordan's audist leadership styles in 1994 and 1995 in the Deaf Watch Newsletter were silenced by the deaf communties because I was not deaf enough. Even Jordan happily used Tom Willard's Newswaves Publication to debunk my howls! I was silenced and treated as if someone was crying wolf.

Now you see what happens the past 7 days. Who was right all along?

The deafs didnt listen to me because I wasnt deaf enough just like you went after Jane because she isnt deaf enough!

Now the deafs had over 10 years to prepare for this insult by the BOT and did they do anything? NO! Now they pay the big price.

Why because they were too busy doing the Hokey-Pokey, And them turning their backs on warnings ... They do the Hokey-Pokey, And they turn themselves around and shake themselves over.

Make this a real wake up call and start heeding my warnings of NAD leadership changes.

Richard Roehm

You know what most of you guys are missing the point here! The question should be can she do her JOB? First of all, I do applaud the fact that Jane doesn't turn the other cheek and does enforce the rules. Because we do have alot "I didn't say ALL" of deafies who likes to abuse the rules and get away with it. And in all seriousness - we should be more concerned about the education at Gallaudet more than about the culture. Honestly I know Steve Weiner he is a great guy, I have had convos with him and knew him back from the 90' when I was a Gallaudet student. But to "CRY" over because she doesn't say HI? That is just downright childish! What do you want her to do? Say hey honey - would you like some chocolate with that ice cream? Will that make your boo boo go away and make you feel better? GROW UP people! For one - we had an all deaf candidates this time as opposed to 1988. Secondly she is a WOMAN - That practices some good diversity. Her JOB is to make sure that we get money for grants to keep the university growing - then again I hear of dwindling and smaller enrollments since I have graduated and that means less money for Gallaudet. She should EXPAND her thoughts to find ways to increase enrollment so we can keep the university going. So, it is TIME for a change - all you can do is give her a chance let her run with it in 2 years then if you don't like it then work on it. Her style might be different than Jordan but who knows it might be effective. We need to DROP this "SHE isn't DEAF enough" crap! You can't judge a person based on their physical attributes. If she signs - GREAT! Her MOTHER is Deaf. *Oh yea she is an ORAL deafie* BIG FRIGGIN DEAL - Deaf is Deaf! Work on building bridges!

Oh yea I forgot this week is Finals week so everyone goes home!

dolphlynn said:
Can you please explain about ADA ERA? I quite don't get it.... What's wrong with giving Jane a chance....? Say, let her run and be president for let's say for the sake of arguement, let her run for 2 years, and if nothing changes, then fire her and have Ron or something (?) take her place.

ADA or America with Disabilities Act started in 1990. Now you understand why any deafie or individual with disability did not have any right during the DPN in 1988.

Read the post

JF already terminated some of staff on the Kendal Green (Gallaudet Campus with Kendal and MSSD). Once the teacher complained, JF quickly fired her/him without any discussion. It is JF's way or highway....

My friend's deaf sister who fluented in ASL lost her job for almost 20 years. Sadly, she lost her retirement benefits. All she did want to discuss about the improvement education system. Moreover, she booted out...

JK did not bother to learn ASL until her age of 23...

You can't be FIRED for disagreeing with the boss. The boss MUST have legitimate GROUNDS for firing a person otherwise the person would have a nice hefty lawsuit against the school. Most of the time when something like this happens they usually reassign people to places they don't want to be to push them out. But you can't be FIRED for disagreeing! I'm sorry I don't believe that.

DefLord said:
You can't be FIRED for disagreeing with the boss. The boss MUST have legitimate GROUNDS for firing a person otherwise the person would have a nice hefty lawsuit against the school. Most of the time when something like this happens they usually reassign people to places they don't want to be to push them out. But you can't be FIRED for disagreeing! I'm sorry I don't believe that.

Yeah, I know....

Are you going to apply for Gally position and work for JK? Friendly reminder, do not spill any bad beans in front of her...

dolphlynn said:

Yeah, give Jane a chance BUT....

It's Board of Trusters fault who ignore the several policy and rush up vote over Jane without Student Committee.

DefLord said:
We need to DROP this "SHE isn't DEAF enough" crap! You can't judge a person based on their physical attributes. If she signs - GREAT! Her MOTHER is Deaf. *Oh yea she is an ORAL deafie* BIG FRIGGIN DEAL - Deaf is Deaf! Work on building bridges!
Is this an audist attitude when some deaf judge her based on "how deaf" she is? I am just wondering.

Back