Four SEE signs....

execution: Court order to kill. <---- of course, no one want to hear that, so they call it execution or court order to put to death so they don't HAVE to hear the word kill.

Which is exactly it. English makes it so easy to skip over any "unwanted details" you don't have to face anything.

And after a while the speakers forget there is a real concept hidden behind the words.

Execution, collateral damage, friendly fire, passed on, my "late" wife, etc.

I didn't realize this. My deaf teacher prefers the initialized signs. No grade involved here so I just use what's accepted in the deaf community where I live.

Anyone else see the silly face book sign? You use your dominant hand on your cheek like an opening book. Makes me laugh. My dictionary recommends F-B.

In the vid that A posted she (the author of the vid) points out a sign for Facbook that looked like the sign I learned as a child for bathroom/toilet. LOL I like the F-B sign as well it makes more sense.

Ran into a person. We were signing something about computers. For hard drive I've always just used #HD#. He signed hard drive "Hard" (like rock) plus "Drive" (like a car).

At first I thought he was just punning around, but unfortunately he seemed to think it was a good way to sign it.

I have no problem signing HD instead of Hard (rock) and Drive (car). That is awkward. When I fingerspell HD first to let them know what HD stands for, then I sign "HD". Sometimes they ask me,"What is HD?" I just tell them what it is.

I do prefer F-B,too.

Ran into a person. We were signing something about computers. For hard drive I've always just used #HD#. He signed hard drive "Hard" (like rock) plus "Drive" (like a car).

At first I thought he was just punning around, but unfortunately he seemed to think it was a good way to sign it.

If he is a long time/native signer and work with computers, he probably right considering how he see the way HD works. but he may be using the english words for Harddrive.

we have software and hardware and I don't even know how they even came up the names for those, but maybe whoever came up the names for "soft" and "hard" is the same way this signer saw in "hard" drive

If he is a long time/native signer and work with computers, he probably right considering how he see the way HD works. but he may be using the english words for Harddrive.

we have software and hardware and I don't even know how they even came up the names for those, but maybe whoever came up the names for "soft" and "hard" is probably the same way this signer saw in "hard" drive

we have software and hardware and I don't even know how they even came up the names for those, but maybe whoever came up the names for "soft" and "hard" is probably the same way this signer saw in "hard" drive

Hardware and software. When I was a kid there were no computers. Hardware was those things you found in a hardware store, just as today. Software, a term seldom used now, was what you found in a clothing store. So basically you wore software when you used hardware -- Unless you were home alone.

Computer people appropriated the terms for their own use.

Now people seem to forget the original uses.

Four "SEE" signs?

Berry,

I have no idea where or who you see someone using "SEE" signs as you have described.

I was, going back to the late 1970ks, one of the contributing developers of SEE1 and, later, of MSS (Morphemic Sign System). My wife taught Deaf ED and both she and I were acknowledged transliterators, even up to the post graduate level.

I have never seen or heard of anyone using SEE1/MSS in this manner.

For the latest, updated, online, compendium of SEE1/MSS signs, go to the Amarillo (TX) ISD website. I think that you'll find both a "code breaker" and a dictionary in excess of 50,000 signable words.

Remember, the SEE1/MSS dictionary divides words by (1) morphemes, (2) chiremes, (3) prefixes, (4) infixes and (5) suffixes.

For instance, the word "ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM" is divided as
"ANTI-DIS-EST-AB-L-ISH-MENT-AR-I-AN-ISM". That word that is not available in ASL, without fingerspelling it, letter-by-letter, and few ASL viewers would have any idea of what it meant, nor would most hearing people. GRIN

Berry,

I have no idea where or who you see someone using "SEE" signs as you have described.

I was, going back to the late 1970ks, one of the contributing developers of SEE1 and, later, of MSS (Morphemic Sign System). My wife taught Deaf ED and both she and I were acknowledged transliterators, even up to the post graduate level.

I have never seen or heard of anyone using SEE1/MSS in this manner.

For the latest, updated, online, compendium of SEE1/MSS signs, go to the Amarillo (TX) ISD website. I think that you'll find both a "code breaker" and a dictionary in excess of 50,000 signable words.

Remember, the SEE1/MSS dictionary divides words by (1) morphemes, (2) chiremes, (3) prefixes, (4) infixes and (5) suffixes.

"ANTI-DIS-EST-AB-L-ISH-MENT-AR-I-AN-ISM". That word that is not available in ASL, without fingerspelling it, letter-by-letter, and few ASL viewers would have any idea of what it meant, nor would most hearing people. GRIN

SEE1 was developed by David Anthony in the 1960's.

If you're gonna break it up that far, you may as well finger spell it. :laugh2:

MOre info on SEE1/MSS signs

Google: www.amaisd.org/mss

or go to http://www.nodeafchildleftbehind.org]

For more information, direct your questions to Dr. Wanda Milburn, Box 634, Vega, TX 79092

She heads a school district that uses SEE1/MSS in a regional school for the deaf.

Most of her students are of Mexican descent where their entire family does not use English, yet they graduate bi-lingual (English/Spanish) students on a par with their hearing students AND they have to verifiable statistics to prove it.

Last edited:
Cjb

Wanna bet I can sign it faster than you can fingerspell it AND I can spell it in Morse code, too.? de K5ZYZ

Google: www.amaisd.org/mss

or go to http://www.nodeafchildleftbehind.org]

For more information, direct your questions to Dr. Wanda Milburn, Box 634, Vega, TX 79092

She heads a school district that uses SEE1/MSS in a regional school for the deaf.

Most of her students are of Mexican descent where their entire family does not use English, yet they graduate bi-lingual (English/Spanish) students on a par with their hearing students AND they have to verifiable statistics to prove it.
Welcome to NDCLB Here is the correct link .

Back