Follow policy: don't save lives

I hope people will move out of Glenwood Gardens

I was baffled myself over this article....and wondered if the elderly lady herself didn't want to be rescueted...and if she had a right to die document that was in effect...

I hope Glenwood Gardens goes out of business for everyone involved. How many people do you think read the policy before moving in to a place like that? I hope that more people read policy before moving in a dump like that one.

Very interesting since the nurses are not allowed to perform CPR at this retirement home but isn't it a part of their jobs? They are NURSES. They have certifications for that, don't they? WTF?

My daughter has a certificate for CPR since she will become a dental assistant.

I was baffled myself over this article....and wondered if the elderly lady herself didn't want to be rescueted...and if she had a right to die document that was in effect...

If she did, then why call 911. And if calling 911, why not tell them she has a Do Not Resuscitate.
Plus, the policy says to call 911 and stay with the patient (irregardless if the patient has a DNR)

In the article, it states (re; the policy) -

"In the event of a health emergency at this independent living community our practice is to immediately call emergency medical personnel for assistance and to wait with the individual needing attention until such personnel arrives," Toomer said in a written statement. "That is the protocol we followed."

It's unfortunate that this had to happen especially when the woman was pleading for CPR. I think the the retirement home needs to look into updating their policy and adjust it to be more specific. CPR is a simple procedure that can be easily trained for all employers at the retirement home to perform. If the woman has Do-Not-Resuscitate (DNR) on her will, then therefore, that would be handled differently. I'm taken back that the nurse was following the policy before saving a life. On one hand, she may be in fear of losing her job when she isn't following the policy but common sense would tell you that saving a life takes up the priority before following the policy.

Very interesting since the nurses are not allowed to perform CPR at this retirement home but isn't it a part of their jobs? They are NURSES. They have certifications for that, don't they? WTF?

Having dealt with nurses in both hospitals and rehab facilities when my husband was ill, some of them have an "it's not my job attitude". Never mind that the CNA is busy with another patient, let the patient suffer while s/he waits for the CNA. :roll:

yea exactly

WTF?

I hate when companies have policies like that.

When I worked at a video rental store years ago, they had a policy where we weren't to interfere with a robbery. If someone were to rob the store and the gunman tripped causing his gun to slide 10 feet to my feet, I'm not allowed to pick up the gun. (Even if I had plenty of time to pick up the gun and point it at him, I'm still not allowed to.) If I did, I would be terminated after the job was over. That's all the crap with rules and policies. A lot of companies have these stupid rules and it makes our lives harder. :(

Exactly all along what I am talking about with government. They think they need to have policies that would have "One size fits all" concept and the consequences aren't that great.

The reason behind this is to protect companies from lawsuits... Blame who? That is.. attorneys and government.

Yup, sad! I know we do need some kind of policy in place but some policy were either out of line or won't work in every cases.

When I worked at a video rental store years ago, they had a policy where we weren't to interfere with a robbery. If someone were to rob the store and the gunman tripped causing his gun to slide 10 feet to my feet, I'm not allowed to pick up the gun. (Even if I had plenty of time to pick up the gun and point it at him, I'm still not allowed to.) If I did, I would be terminated after the job was over. That's all the crap with rules and policies. A lot of companies have these stupid rules and it makes our lives harder. :(

I have seen bits and pieces of this story. CPR can be dangerous, especially on the elderly with brittle bone. My guess would be that their protocol was established with their insurance provider. I get the protocol, but I doubt I would have followed protocol in this situation. Strange story.

CA has a Good Samaratin Law in case anyone's worried about getting sued......

I have seen bits and pieces of this story. CPR can be dangerous, especially on the elderly with brittle bone. My guess would be that their protocol was established with their insurance provider. I get the protocol, but I doubt I would have followed protocol in this situation. Strange story.

And how sad it is for this woman's family that she's not here today because management wanted to cover themselves. Stupidity knows no bounds.....

Laura

just "kick" it out of the way cuz you slipped.

CA has a Good Samaratin Law in case anyone's worried about getting sued......

it only protects you from being sued by injured party but it doesn't protect you from being fired :(

Exactly all along what I am talking about with government. They think they need to have policies that would have "One size fits all" concept and the consequences aren't that great.

The reason behind this is to protect companies from lawsuits... Blame who? That is.. attorneys and government.

there you go again. what did you watch this time? Sicko?

It's a shame the nurse had to just sit by while the patient died. However, I know that there must be a valid reason for not allowing CPR. I can just imagine that someone with good intentions tried administering CPR but ended up killing the patient due to brittle bones or didn't know how to do CPR properly.

Back