FM advantages

Maybe considered somewhat OT by some

My church uses an older model of the Williams Personal PA and receivers. (Had trouble copying links to Ebay listing from earlier post so whole post is quoted below) A few years ago some of us were working in our basement Fellowship Hall preparing for a fund raising dinner while there was a worship service going on in the sanctuary upstairs. One of our members, who works in the IT field, pulled out an old external computer speaker and plugged it into one of the Personal PA receivers. Those that can hear well said it worked fine for hearing the service down in that room. I wasn’t too surprised as I had turned the system on and taken a cordless mike downstairs to use a receiver with my neckloop for meetings. But . . . I never would have thought to connect it to a computer speaker!

I have a very old hearing aid that does have a T-coil. For many years I have been using that with the older model of the Williams Personal PA (looks like this one currently on E-bay Williams Sound PA/FM transmitter T4 Hearing Assistant Receiver | eBay and the receivers look like this also for sale on E-bay Williams Sound PPA Wireless Receiver Hearing Assisted Listening Device 72.1MHz | eBay) at my church and probably a number of others in the area as they got theirs about the same time. I team it with a neckloop more for clarity than volume. I have my own neckloop and have used it with a number of different brands of assistance system including one that I do not know the make/model of at the Cathedral Basilica in St. Louis.

I am hoping this type of arrangement could still be used with a new hearing aid.

I read that if I use a neckloop on the Landmark FM receiver it will transfer to the Compilot wirelessly. Don't have to plug anything in. The preacher wears a small microphone like phone operators do. That in turn is sent wirelessly to the audio equipment in the back of the seating area. Then sent to loudspeakers fastened to the ceiling. I want to intercept that FM wireless signal and direct it to my HAs. Can't that be done? Compilot is already hooked to cell phone via bluetooth. All my friends and family sit in one section. I want to continue to sit with them.

I read that if I use a neckloop on the Landmark FM receiver it will transfer to the Compilot wirelessly. Don't have to plug anything in. The preacher wears a small microphone like phone operators do. That in turn is sent wirelessly to the audio equipment in the back of the seating area. Then sent to loudspeakers fastened to the ceiling. I want to intercept that FM wireless signal and direct it to my HAs. Can't that be done? Compilot is already hooked to cell phone via bluetooth. All my friends and family sit in one section. I want to continue to sit with them.

Won't you just be able to switch your aids to t coil and it work?

A neckloop transfers the sound to the telecoils in your HA. You need to have a program set for this.
Where did you read that it transfers the sound to the ComPilot?
Since you have the ComPilot you can just use the audio cord that came with it to plug into the receiver.
Not sure you can intercept the signal from the mic.

A neckloop transfers the sound to the telecoils in your HA. You need to have a program set for this.
Where did you read that it transfers the sound to the ComPilot?
Since you have the ComPilot you can just use the audio cord that came with it to plug into the receiver.
Not sure you can intercept the signal from the mic.

The neckloop for the Landmark receiver is listed just below the receiver itself with a brief explanation of what it does. It would mean I do not need to have another wire on me.

Iwould assume that if Audi programs an FM program that is all that would be necessary. Most churches transmit on channel 72. Transmission is limited in power so it is available to people very near the church. If one has a receiver that has a channel 72, any transmission on that channel can be tuned in. That is my understanding.
The receiver content has to go thru the Compilot to be streamed to the HAs.

I had to give in and borrow one from the school for my classes starting last fall. I always sit in the front center anyway, but in most of the lecture halls that's not good enough. It drives me crazy with the wearer constantly bumping it and interference from electronics, but it makes the difference between knowing what the professor is saying or not so I put up with it. I certainly don't use it all the time, just when I have a class in one of the larger rooms.

The neckloop for the Landmark receiver is listed just below the receiver itself with a brief explanation of what it does. It would mean I do not need to have another wire on me.

Iwould assume that if Audi programs an FM program that is all that would be necessary. Most churches transmit on channel 72. Transmission is limited in power so it is available to people very near the church. If one has a receiver that has a channel 72, any transmission on that channel can be tuned in. That is my understanding.
The receiver content has to go thru the Compilot to be streamed to the HAs.

The neckloop shown in the Landmark site is a t-coil neckloop. It sends the audio of whatever it is plugged into to the t-coils in your HAs. It has nothing to do with FM other than being able to plug into an FM receiver...which you already do with your ComPilot.
The FM program on your HA is only for use with the special, expensive, FM receivers that attach either to your HAs (via a boot) or to your ComPilot (where those 3 tiny holes are on the bottom). These FM receivers do not work with the low (eg 72) FM channels.

Good to know that. I will just get the landmark receiver and plug it inot my Compilot. I will not pay the high price for Phonak plugins.

Back