FM advantages

rongarrett

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that the main advantage of FM is that I can place a receiver at a distant location and get the sound piped directly into my hearing aids? Like in church? Have not been able to hear preacher for some time now. Do the hearing aids shut off
microphone so all I hear is the preacher and surrounding sounds close to the receiver?

How much to get FM set up for Naidia?

Am I right in thinking that the main advantage of FM is that I can place a receiver at a distant location and get the sound piped directly into my hearing aids? Like in church? Have not been able to hear preacher for some time now. Do the hearing aids shut off
microphone so all I hear is the preacher and surrounding sounds close to the receiver?

How much to get FM set up for Naidia?

I have an fm system.

I have the intergrated receivers for each aid and a smartlink plus transmitter which also has Bluetooth so can work like the icom or ComPilot. It can also act as a remote control but not all phonak aids work with the remote control.

You give it a person to wear and you can hear them better.

You need a fm program on your aids and you can choose to have FM only or FM plus Microphone.

Mine cost £1700 which is roughly $2500.

an FM system is great for all places and I use mine in school :)

I have the Inspiro system that runs great LOL

I will be getting an FM system for my aids, for school. Talked with Audi and will be using the program that is FM plus microphone, because I will need to hear the students around me as well for discussions. Teacher will wear transmitter.

I did not invest in the FM system but am lucky that my church has an FM system so I just plug my ComPilot into the receiver.
You could save money by buying an FM transmitter & a receiver that you can plug your ComPilot into. Williams Sound is one such system. I bought an FM receiver that is also a FM radio that has the channel (72) that is used at my church. I forget the name of it but it was inexpensive. Then later, because a need came up, I found a transmitter online at a sale price. I recently used these at my daughter's graduation by having them plug the transmitter into the sound system at the venue.
I love using the FM at church and other large room venues. I rarely use it at small functions, like dinners, because it can pick up too much "noise" if it's just sitting on the table to pick up everyone's voices.

The Audie can adjust the ratio between the mic and the FM.
Don't know if you know about telecoils. Your HAs should have them and you just need to have your Audie set one of the programs for it. There is an effort to get more public places looped so that HA wears only need to set their HAs on t-coil without the need for expensive equipment.

This sounds like it could be awesome for me at work! When I'm giving a massage and the client is face down on the table there's no way I can understand them, but maybe if I could clip to to the face cradle.

Please don't tell me it was $2500 on top of the price for the hearing aids. i have an appointment w/ the audi on Monday, I'm going to ask him about this.

This sounds like it could be awesome for me at work! When I'm giving a massage and the client is face down on the table there's no way I can understand them, but maybe if I could clip to to the face cradle.

Please don't tell me it was $2500 on top of the price for the hearing aids. i have an appointment w/ the audi on Monday, I'm going to ask him about this.
Yeah, the FM systems that come from the HA manufacturers are expensive. Google FM transmitters or receivers and you should find some online stores that carry them.

I would check with your church for an FM ...many do actually have them ..you would just need to get receivers possibly and get a FM program added

I'm remembering this transmitter thing they gave me to use while I was waiting for my first pair of hearing aids. I was a cashier at mobile at the time, I had a mic that I would clip on displays near the register to pick up customers voices, a transmitter that I hooked to my pants and an ear bud hooked to that. People would ask me "what are you listening to?" I'd say "you" lol. I felt like superwoman with it. if I went out back out outside to smoke I could hear the people inside talking and the change banging together in the register. So weird. That would absolutely not work for me anymore though. nope nope nope

They're expensive? OF COURSE they are!! gah, well most people don't want to talk to me anyway and I can usually tell if I'm hurting them, I don't think I'll need it that bad. It would be good though if I start doing nueromuscular therpay though, you need to communicate a little more with the client than with the usual relaxation massage or deep tissue. So I'll be checking those online stores.

I just googled Orpheus fm receivers and found it. Thanks!!!

Yeah, my HA was $1800ish with my insurance discount. An FM system from Phonak, with my insurance discount, is over $2000! Crazy...

Can I plug my compilot into one of the Landmark FM receivers? My church has an FM system. I tried their wireless receiver and could not hear very well with it. My Compilot has a place to plug in an audio feed.

Yeah, my HA was $1800ish with my insurance discount. An FM system from Phonak, with my insurance discount, is over $2000! Crazy...

giiirrrrllll!!! I paid $6400 for the 2 Ambras and sitting fees for the next year. GULP!!! That's almost as much as I paid for my car a couple years ago! Actually with depreciation what I have on my head is worth more than what i drive. How whacked is that? :eek3:

no offense to those who use it but omg FM is the most annoying piece of item they can have.

Every time, there's always a moment where the user of the FM pauses a class or presentation simply because the speaker is not hooked up with the FM system. Its soo annoying to wait 2 minutes while they figure it out and get it working.

And not to mention, wearing a FM makes you lazy in the real world. You need to learn to hear based on realistic situation without any access to anything but your hearing aids/implant, the taxi driver is not going to put on the FM system so you can hear what he is trying to tell you.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else who's posted in this thread.....but I don't have a hard time understanding someone because I haven't "learned to hear" in my realistic situation, in my case when someone is laying face down on a table and talking to my feet. I can't understand them because I can't hear any more lol. My realistic situation is I've been a hearing person for more than half my life, but right now in my "good" ear I have 36% speech recognition at 110db, and that's not because I haven't "learned' to hear speech, it's because I went wicked deaf.

hey if the FM helps some people do better in certain situations, go for it. I got Phonak's FM system with my Claro hearing aid back in 2000, and I ended up using the FM more for music listening than anything else, but that was just me. Never used the FM for anything else really. I have tried using an FM at college too but eh.

Back