FM advantages

Can I plug my compilot into one of the Landmark FM receivers? My church has an FM system. I tried their wireless receiver and could not hear very well with it. My Compilot has a place to plug in an audio feed.

Yes, that's what I do. But first find out what frequency your church FM uses to make sure the Landmark has that freq. My church uses 72.
Does their receiver have somewhere to plug into? Ours does, but since I bought my own receiver I just use it (so I don't have to get & return theirs).

no offense to those who use it but omg FM is the most annoying piece of item they can have.

Every time, there's always a moment where the user of the FM pauses a class or presentation simply because the speaker is not hooked up with the FM system. Its soo annoying to wait 2 minutes while they figure it out and get it working.

And not to mention, wearing a FM makes you lazy in the real world. You need to learn to hear based on realistic situation without any access to anything but your hearing aids/implant, the taxi driver is not going to put on the FM system so you can hear what he is trying to tell you.

But the FM is great & needed in places like church or lecture halls or a large gym (where my daughter's graduation was). I don't use mine in restaurants (after having tried it in a couple) because I don't have one person wear it and therefore it picks up the surrounding noise too easily.
Another place I've used it was at the college when I took my daughter's for the various events (check us out, make a decision, new student orientation). I used it in the lecture rooms, small rooms & walking tours. You can't be sure you'll find the ideal place to sit or stand to hear the talkers. Of course, since the transmitter wasn't plug into the sound system I had trouble hearing questions from the audience. Luckily a lot of the speakers repeated the questions for us.

Also, the reason I bought the transmitter was because my husband was in a wheelchair & I couldn't hear him well enough when I was pushing his wheelchair.

no offense to those who use it but omg FM is the most annoying piece of item they can have.

Every time, there's always a moment where the user of the FM pauses a class or presentation simply because the speaker is not hooked up with the FM system. Its soo annoying to wait 2 minutes while they figure it out and get it working.

And not to mention, wearing a FM makes you lazy in the real world. You need to learn to hear based on realistic situation without any access to anything but your hearing aids/implant, the taxi driver is not going to put on the FM system so you can hear what he is trying to tell you.

Yeah.

I always wonder if teacher did forgets to turn it off when teacher went to the bathroom while we kiddies were in the classroom, and heard that noises years ago. :giggle:

I have a very old hearing aid that does have a T-coil. For many years I have been using that with the older model of the Williams Personal PA (looks like this one currently on E-bay Williams Sound PA/FM transmitter T4 Hearing Assistant Receiver | eBay and the receivers look like this also for sale on E-bay Williams Sound PPA Wireless Receiver Hearing Assisted Listening Device 72.1MHz | eBay) at my church and probably a number of others in the area as they got theirs about the same time. I team it with a neckloop more for clarity than volume. I have my own neckloop and have used it with a number of different brands of assistance system including one that I do not know the make/model of at the Cathedral Basilica in St. Louis.

I am hoping this type of arrangement could still be used with a new hearing aid.

I have a very old hearing aid that does have a T-coil. For many years I have been using that with the older model of the Williams Personal PA (looks like this one currently on E-bay Williams Sound PA/FM transmitter T4 Hearing Assistant Receiver | eBay and the receivers look like this also for sale on E-bay Williams Sound PPA Wireless Receiver Hearing Assisted Listening Device 72.1MHz | eBay) at my church and probably a number of others in the area as they got theirs about the same time. I team it with a neckloop more for clarity than volume. I have my own neckloop and have used it with a number of different brands of assistance system including one that I do not know the make/model of at the Cathedral Basilica in St. Louis.

I am hoping this type of arrangement could still be used with a new hearing aid.
Just be sure to tell your Audie you want t-coils in your HAs and you want one of the programs set up for the t-coil. And don't let your Audi try to convince you that people don't use t-coils anymore. There is an effort to "loop America" so that we wouldn't even need neckloops at movies, churches, theaters, etc.

upon further exsploring I find that Landmark also has a neckloop that makes the transmission from the FM receiver wireless. If I do that will I still be able to use the bluetooth with my cell phone at the same time? I'll look like a christmas tree if I can.

AMEN!!!!!!!! You can speechread or figure stuff out in other ways.
Why should you be tethered to an additional bit of technology?

But the FM is great & needed in places like church or lecture halls or a large gym (where my daughter's graduation was). I don't use mine in restaurants (after having tried it in a couple) because I don't have one person wear it and therefore it picks up the surrounding noise too easily.
Another place I've used it was at the college when I took my daughter's for the various events (check us out, make a decision, new student orientation). I used it in the lecture rooms, small rooms & walking tours. You can't be sure you'll find the ideal place to sit or stand to hear the talkers. Of course, since the transmitter wasn't plug into the sound system I had trouble hearing questions from the audience. Luckily a lot of the speakers repeated the questions for us.

You can speechread or request front row seating or any other alternative accomondation.....aural access isn't the only option.

You can speechread or request front row seating or any other alternative accomondation.....aural access isn't the only option.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That might work for you, but it's not for me. One size does not fit all.

upon further exsploring I find that Landmark also has a neckloop that makes the transmission from the FM receiver wireless. If I do that will I still be able to use the bluetooth with my cell phone at the same time? I'll look like a christmas tree if I can.

I'm guessing it's a t-coil neckloop your talking about. You wouldn't need that since you have the ComPilot.

Ron, you are getting to Naida S UP, correct? I have the V and my Audi put in the T-Coil program for phone use (one of my biggest issues). So you should be able to get that done, too. And then your hearing aid will automatically pick up the signal when you switch programs, correct? I'm going to test this in church on Sunday...I think some of our lecture halls are looped as well, so maybe that will work for me in those rooms!

Ron, you are getting to Naida S UP, correct? I have the V and my Audi put in the T-Coil program for phone use (one of my biggest issues). So you should be able to get that done, too. And then your hearing aid will automatically pick up the signal when you switch programs, correct? I'm going to test this in church on Sunday...I think some of our lecture halls are looped as well, so maybe that will work for me in those rooms!

If his church has FM, not the loop, then he'll need an FM receiver. Since he has the ComPilot, he can plug that into the receiver. If he didn't have the ComPilot but did have (and he should have) the t-coil and it is programmed, then he'd need a t-coil neckloop to plug into the FM receiver (then the sound would go from the neckloop to the HAs when in t-coil mode.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That might work for you, but it's not for me. One size does not fit all.

How is requesting preferential seating/placement or speechreading some sort of pain? It's not like I suggested you use a 'terp. Fact of the matter, there are MANY other alternative ways to compensate for bad hearing. Depending on hearing technology isn't the only way.

Not mentioning anything direct but a "time" ago, a person in my group needs captioning really bad all the time. So in one of the presentation at a local company, she requested an captioner, the captioner came, however the company could not provide a tv monitor, and they were trying to figure out for 20 minutes how to get captioning... for ONE person out of 20 people. Seriously? Thats some Bullcrap
its relates to the FM because yes some technology are awesome, helpful, but not realistic for the real world situation.

How is requesting preferential seating/placement or speechreading some sort of pain? It's not like I suggested you use a 'terp. Fact of the matter, there are MANY other alternative ways to compensate for bad hearing. Depending on hearing technology isn't the only way.

Because all your suggestions will not provide ME the same access to the information as the FM system will. If I don't have the FM available, then I do try to get a good seat & I do try to lip read. I usually end up just zoning out because I can't understand the speaker(s). FM works for ME and I'm happy when I have it available.
If your suggestions work for you, great.

Regarding the workplace, you (general you) could ask your employer to cover the cost of an FM system. The worst they could do is say no. It would be worth a shot as many large employers will cover accommodation costs if it's justified.

Regarding the workplace, you (general you) could ask your employer to cover the cost of an FM system. The worst they could do is say no. It would be worth a shot as many large employers will cover accommodation costs if it's justified.

Now that's an interesting idea! Unfortunately i personally work for a small business, a spa, and the owners are wicked cheap, they drag their feet about replacing broken equipment everyone uses, face cradles, stools hell the tables!! no bennies, no insurance, no paid holidays or vacations, but that is pretty typical for the industry. BUT I want to leave that employer soon, as soon as I get my CE credits for nuromuscular therapy, I few of the my coworkers from the spa I'm at now have moved on to another company and they rave about the teh owners. Maybe they would be more accomadating :) thanks for the tip

Back