Feedback please - learning ASL in an unusual situation

metalangel

Reaction score
Hello,

I posted a intro message in the other part of the forum, but I wanted to see if the experienced interpreters and others who work with ASL professionally could give me some feedback on what I'm thinking of doing.

Apology in advance for the length but I'm in a somewhat unusual position: 32 year old Canadian living in the UK since age 18, disenchanted with both work and the country. I attended a high school with a large deaf/HoH department so was aware of Deaf culture but nothing more, got to know some of the students who talked as well as signed and so participated in classes outside the HoH department. All our assemblies and events would have interpreters present.

I have a BA Hons in Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies but since getting that I've worked mostly customer service and IT-related jobs, the last six I've worked in the railway industry doing administrative stuff.

I am considering retrained as a means of returning to Canada with my British partner and am seriously looking at either working in an ASL school as a teaching assistant or being an interpreter. I am sorry, I don't have a better reason to give for the renewal of my interest in signing, but learning basic ASL with my partner has been fun and I've understood the language and taken to it much faster than I did with, say, French when I was in third grade. I don't want to grind away at an office job for the next 30 years, I want to do something more meaningful and productive that is useful to others.

The problem for me is that there are no (or practically no) ASL courses or ASL Deaf clubs in the UK to let me acquire the necessary training and fluency, I'll have to do it in Canada, which means leaving my job, moving back and becoming a mature student. Because I've had no formal training I'd have to do the 1 year ASL/Deaf studies course before I could do the 3 year Interpreter course.

I've tried to read as much as I can about what this is like as a career, and some of the threads here have been very helpful, others (like this) eye-opening.

What I need to know is:
-is this feasible? I have my savings but I'll need to take a part time job to keep us going, will I be completely burnt out?
-once you've graduated as a terp, how hard is it to get underway bringing in enough money as a freelancer?
-I've read that some people have trouble/don't want to interpret because of ethical dilemmas. Part of why I didn't pursue journalism was that I've got empathy to spare along with a conscience - I couldn't be a sleazy tabloid reporter, I want to do what's right. Would that same desire interfere with interpreting?
-should I look at doing just the ASL/Deaf studies first, and then consider moving to doing the terp stuff later once I've had a chance to both get a job (perhaps in a social work setting) and also some involvement in the Deaf Community to further increase my vocabulary and fluency with real world experience? If so, does anyone have any experience of doing those jobs?

Please let me know anything you think that would be helpful, good and bad, it's all important to me. It's a big decision and very stressful for us.

:ty:

(thank you for reading my wall of text too)

Personally, I'd suggest you contact the schools and AVLIs in the areas of Canada you're considering moving to and discussing this with them. They'll have the best, most accurate information that will be most useful for you.

You'll have to take Deaf Studies classes before interpreter classes anyway, in my province it's typically 2 years Deaf Studies, then 2 or 3 years specific interpreter training (depends on the program and if you're full time or part time, of course).

As a Hoh/Deaf Canadian I do know we have a shortage of quality, certified interpreters.

Do you have a specific area of Canada in mind?

First thing you need to find out is where's the market for ASL interpreters in Canada? And what's the pay? And how much competition is there for each available position? That will help you determine if it's worth the expenses of schooling and any incurred debts from student loans.

First thing you need to find out is where's the market for ASL interpreters in Canada? And what's the pay? And how much competition is there for each available position? That will help you determine if it's worth the expenses of schooling and any incurred debts from student loans.

I don't think I asked before - where in Canada are you (if you'd prefer to PM me, that's cool too)

Hi Anij and DeafCaroline,

I was born and raised in Toronto, so that's my first choice. However, I'm aware that the cost of living (especially rent) is huge there now. That alone is easily more than the cost of any courses I might want to take.

George Brown does an ASL/Deaf Culture certificate for one year and then a three year course after which you'll be a qualified terp. What's bad is that for the terp course also wants you to have 200 hours of ASL instruction and half of their own night classes and/or community courses at, say, Bob Rumball don't count towards this. Obviously, their own full time course does, no surprises there.

I will admit I never considered moving elsewhere, I always considered the GTA home. I'm also aware (from reading on here and other places) that being a terp outside a major city can mean lots and lots of driving just to get to your next job. I've done a job like that in the UK already and it wasn't fun, I travelled 250 miles (a lot in UK terms) to get to a Meals on Wheels project where I was their IT trainer.

Are there courses and work for terps in Manitoba? I realize a significant part of doing this work is becoming part of the local Deaf/HH community and I'd hate to become part of that in MB for a short time, especially for me to move after finishing my qualifications and for them to feel like I used them to further my career only.

Remember I'm in the UK right now, finding contacts and making them is extra hard because of my location. In fact, I see it as the single biggest barrier to my making anything of this just because of the costs of moving. I have a house (with mortgage) here, I doubt I could get the same if I moved to Ontario.

Thanks for the info, the more I get the better to be sure about what I'm trying to do.

Hi Anij and DeafCaroline,

I was born and raised in Toronto, so that's my first choice. However, I'm aware that the cost of living (especially rent) is huge there now. That alone is easily more than the cost of any courses I might want to take.

George Brown does an ASL/Deaf Culture certificate for one year and then a three year course after which you'll be a qualified terp. What's bad is that for the terp course also wants you to have 200 hours of ASL instruction and half of their own night classes and/or community courses at, say, Bob Rumball don't count towards this. Obviously, their own full time course does, no surprises there.

I will admit I never considered moving elsewhere, I always considered the GTA home. I'm also aware (from reading on here and other places) that being a terp outside a major city can mean lots and lots of driving just to get to your next job. I've done a job like that in the UK already and it wasn't fun, I travelled 250 miles (a lot in UK terms) to get to a Meals on Wheels project where I was their IT trainer.

Are there courses and work for terps in Manitoba? I realize a significant part of doing this work is becoming part of the local Deaf/HH community and I'd hate to become part of that in MB for a short time, especially for me to move after finishing my qualifications and for them to feel like I used them to further my career only.

Remember I'm in the UK right now, finding contacts and making them is extra hard because of my location. In fact, I see it as the single biggest barrier to my making anything of this just because of the costs of moving. I have a house (with mortgage) here, I doubt I could get the same if I moved to Ontario.

Thanks for the info, the more I get the better to be sure about what I'm trying to do.

There are jobs for skilled ASL interpreters throughout Canada. Quebec may have less in terms of ASL, versus LSQ.

I'd choose where you want to live physically taking into account weather, cost of living, education/tuition and if applicable family and friends who may already live in Canada.

Once you have one or more physical locations in mine, make the calls needed to find out about Deaf Education and ASL interpreter programs at that point. You'll be in school for a number of years, so you during that time you'll be able to learn about the ASL community in your area. Of course, if having moved here for a bit, you decide you want to move somewhere else within Canada, you'll be in a better position to make contacts (being in the same country already, and having some contacts).

One thing I would say, is I'm not really sure how effective learning ASL, or Deaf Culture in a country that doesn't actually use ASL as it's primary language would be. While some Deaf Culture classes might be interesting and helpful, you really do want to learn ASL from native users, preferably from the area in which you are living and working (because like all languages, there are variations/regionalisms depending on location).

Also keep in mind that there are specific regional signing differences, mostly on the Atlantic coast (similar to the distinct spoken accent and vocabulary), also on the Pacific coast, though to a lesser degree.

If you're looking for a text - the best book out there for learning Canadian ASL is "[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Canadian-Dictionary-Charmaine-Letourneau-C-M/dp/0888643004/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330041437&sr=1-1"]A Canadian Dictionary of ASL[/ame]" which I'd really recommend that you pick up.

And I would still recommend you research how much of a need there is for ASL interpreters and how much competition for each job offer. Don't get yourself in student loan debts only to find out that it's incredibly difficult to even get the job you studied for. Know your market well.

I'm starting the 1 year course at George Brown this fall, and then will hopefully be continuing into the 3 year interpreter program. From the research I've done, there is a demand in certain parts of Ontario for interpreters, so hopefully finding a job as a freelancer should not be impossible. I have met someone that is enrolled in a program in Manitoba, but it sounds like it's run a bit differently. From what I understood, it's run in conjunction with the Language department at the university in Winnipeg, so you graduate with a BA with a specialty in ASL or something along those lines. It sounds like it's worth looking into!

I'm starting the 1 year course at George Brown this fall, and then will hopefully be continuing into the 3 year interpreter program. From the research I've done, there is a demand in certain parts of Ontario for interpreters, so hopefully finding a job as a freelancer should not be impossible. I have met someone that is enrolled in a program in Manitoba, but it sounds like it's run a bit differently. From what I understood, it's run in conjunction with the Language department at the university in Winnipeg, so you graduate with a BA with a specialty in ASL or something along those lines. It sounds like it's worth looking into!

Yes, it's run in conjunction with the UofW. Each province works a bit differently, depending on where the Deaf Studies and ITP programs are based out of (not all colleges etc are "degree granting institutions". Another example is the many colleges which are on the UofM campus, many of which grant degrees through UofM).

As far as I understand it (it's been a few years since I've know anyone in the DS/ITP program) the linguistics requirements and general studies (maths, English writing etc) are held at UofW, while the actual DS/ITP program is held at RRC.

I do know we seem always short interpreters here ... on average you need to give 3-5weeks notice for a non-emergency interpreter. For Educational interpreting at the College and University level you often need to apply one full course cycle in advance (3-4months) and it's still first come first served.

I honestly don't know of a single place in Canada with "too many" interpreters, espeically if the interpreter is interested in various types of interpreting, including educational, healthcare, public events, church/worship events, etc.

I had a look at AVLIC's website and saw the course at Red River... I also noticed that they said the intake for the Interpreter course that follows at UoM is 'extremely competitive' and that they only take a dozen students per year? Is that typical for interpreter courses?

I also had a look at the one in Lakeland in Edmonton, and noticed that it's only two years compared to three for the ones at George Brown and RRC/UoM... what's the difference, I wonder? Edmonton is, however, a nice place and a lot more affordable to live in than Toronto.

Vancouver/BC is almost certainly out as if I could afford to live there I could afford to just retire somewhere else instead with the enormous pile of money I'd have :P

Having a look at NSCC now, Halifax/Dartmouth is a nice place too from what I remember of our trips there when I was a kid. You mention the weather: the rugged coastlines and rain would remind my other half of home (where it is currently drizzling)

deafcaroline said:
And I would still recommend you research how much of a need there is for ASL interpreters and how much competition for each job offer. Don't get yourself in student loan debts only to find out that it's incredibly difficult to even get the job you studied for. Know your market well.

Any suggestions on places to look that up, apart from the usual job sites like Workopolis and Wowjobs?

I really never get the ethnic aspect of interpreting. I alway figured people either interpret or they don't.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

dereksbicycles said:
I really never get the ethnic aspect of interpreting. I alway figured people either interpret or they don't.

Maybe you don't get it because it's ethics, not ethnics.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Reba said:
Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

dereksbicycles said:

Maybe you don't get it because it's ethics, not ethnics.

Unless on the off chance he means the specific regionalisms and signing style of some ethnic groups in certain parts of the USA?? Maybe?

Of course with internet,VR etc these are becoming less apparent, however they still do exist.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Unless on the off chance he means the specific regionalisms and signing style of some ethnic groups in certain parts of the USA?? Maybe?

Of course with internet,VR etc these are becoming less apparent, however they still do exist.
Maybe. There are regional and ethnic differences in signing.

I do have a response in limbo waiting to be approved, but I've been looking around and noticed the Deaf Studies/ASL course at Lakeland in Edmonton seems to be part time only? That's unusual.

I've also heard that the certification exam for interpreters in Canada is incredibly tough. Apparently Canadian interpreters think the NIC is a cake walk in comparison.

I've also heard that the certification exam for interpreters in Canada is incredibly tough. Apparently Canadian interpreters think the NIC is a cake walk in comparison.

Anyone able to confirm this? I get the feeling the certification doesn't cross the border either.

However, I did find this:
http://www.cacuss.ca/content/documents/Link/CADSPPE_ACCSEHP/ASL_Deaf_Studies_REPORT_FINAL.pdf

which discusses the status of all the Deaf Studies/Interpreter courses in Canada. Page 27 on George Brown is interesting, it appears they don't have the highest enrolment so their acceptance criteria isn't as stringent. However, that also has meant that there's been concerns as to the quality of the interpreters that are coming out the other end.

It also explains that Lakeland switched their DS course to the part-time model to reduce 'attrition' of students. For me, it would mean working part-time in Edmonton at something with my existing skillset (IT or railway operations) for a year or so while I do the DS/ASL course part time. In some ways that's quite sensible as the alternative in Toronto would have me doing a very small amount of part time work on the side as George Brown's course is full time. I haven't yet found out how long it will be before my other half gets permission to work once she emigrates.

Interesting stuff. My (pardon the pun) interpretation is that in the real world the demand for terps must be outstripping the supply as these four courses across the country are all there is, and that some are struggling either with low enrolment and/or attrition. Anyone got any insider views into that?

Just a small update: I've applied to both Lakeland and George Brown for their ASL/Deaf studies courses this September. A bit late to be doing it, but there might still be room!

Back