FCC's not allowing Canadian to use VRS.

I was wonder if Canadian have their own term for ADA or FCC from USA.

I wonder do you have their FCC mention about the TRS or relay for TTY that do with disability? If you do, then use that case because our FCC base on Section 225

Perhaps the deaf in the United Kingdom, Australia, etc, etc., could try to convince their federal regulators (similar to our FCC) to fund such for the deaf community. But I don't see how the federal regulators would be willing to fund for international calls from their countries. Sorenson and other VP providers could try entering international markets. Didn't Sorenson and other VP providers make VPs made available for the deaf attendants at the uh....Deaflympics event in Melbourne (VIC.)?

I was in Melbourne for the deaflympics and I didnt see any videophones around there since the interent was not fast enough back then. Some of the people uses sidekicks, and other phones that have videocalls, I have seen one man from norway who uses it. :jaw:

By the way, our FCC's is ACMA (Australian Communication and Media Authority)

I was in Melbourne for the deaflympics and I didnt see any videophones around there since the interent was not fast enough back then. Some of the people uses sidekicks, and other phones that have videocalls, I have seen one man from norway who uses it. :jaw:

By the way, our FCC's is ACMA (Australian Communication and Media Authority)

Video call charge is too costly for minutes. I really want WiMAX access and no charge for minutes in using video callings.

I dont think FCC will cut international calls completely. If VRS does stop making calls from USA to cananda, I wouldnt be surprised. I would think is a bold move on the major VRS's part just to force Canadain goverment to start thinking about funding VRS's for the deaf for thier own people. I hope to god they do though.:aw:

well, there was an announcement saying that vrs wouldn't provide services outside of usa as early as this or next week. this makes sense because fcc is usa-based and each american has to pay certain amount (cents?) towards their phone bill to help pay for this type of service. so if a canadian were to make a phone call using vrs, americans or fcc would have to pay for it.

on the other hand, sorenson has been setting up centers in 4-5 of our provinces across canada, using our interpreters. and guess what? they only service the americans! this has had a huge negative impact on our community. i guess there are so many relay services in america, that they are experiencing a serious shortage of interpreters so sorenson decided to set up offices in canada to use our interpreters.

our telephone companies are run provincially rather than federally in canada which is why we do not have a similar system as fcc in usa. recently, our CRTC- canadian radio-television and telecommunications commission (similar to what fcc is for americans) announced they had surplus monies and that they were planning to set up vrs for canadians. i think what will happen is, our telephone companies such as bell, or telus will receive the money and they will decide whether to do it themselves or contract out to sorenson since they already have offices set up across canada.

i am in favor of our telephone companies contracting out sorenson the money to run services for canadians because they have had years of experience running vrs services, and they have the technology expertise as opposed to our telephone companies that know nothing and i have to admit, americans are always advanced technology-wise. so my thoughts are that sorenson would be able to keep technology updated as well. Also, if our telephone companies decided to set up vrs on their own, we would suffer a greater shortage of interpreters.

anyway, that is what i understand what is happening. i am curious to know what others think!

Back