Father of hard of hearing daughter

Welcome to AD...I admire your honesty. Not a lot of parents are willing to admit their inability to deal with their children's deafness.

Hope u enjoy this site! :wave:

Your explaination to our curiosuity has explained well. I hope for your daugther all the best in the CI surgery.

Thank you for the well wishes.
Welcome to AD
Thank you.

Welcome to AD! I had been reading the thread about your daughter's upcoming surgery.
Thank you.

Welcome to AD...I admire your honesty. Not a lot of parents are willing to admit their inability to deal with their children's deafness.

Hope u enjoy this site! :wave:

Thank you. I can't pretend that I have always been there for my daughter. I feel I need to take responsbility for her and right by her. For years I was embarassed by her and ignored her any chance I got. But I have realized she is a person that needs my support as a father and I have to love her the way she is.

better late than never.

as everybody else says...accept your daughter for who she is. please do not think cochlear implants will solve everything, and make her into a hearing person. consider learning american sign language and bringing your daughter into deaf community events. that would be a good start.

better late than never.

as everybody else says...accept your daughter for who she is. please do not think cochlear implants will solve everything, and make her into a hearing person. consider learning american sign language and bringing your daughter into deaf community events. that would be a good start.

I can't say anything more succinctly than that.

clapping.GIF

Herzlich Willkommen :)

Paul, I admire your honestly... Your description is an exact what my parents did to me... They have no time to be patience with me but got my one year younger sister to interpret me for them because she was the one who use sign language.

It's good to know that you develop your relationship with her.

better late than never.

I agree it better late than never. I do know some ASL and I will try to improve on it. My daughter has some good connections in the deaf/hoh commmunity. She has friends who go to a school for the deaf and a few hoh friends. She has gone to teen/children conferences for the deaf/hoh community. I'm hoping to get involved in the community. I'm not expecting the CI to solve everything but I do hope helps my daughter a little bit.
Herzlich Willkommen :)

Paul, I admire your honestly... Your description is an exact what my parents did to me... They have no time to be patience with me but got my one year younger sister to interpret me for them because she was the one who use sign language.

It's good to know that you develop your relationship with her.

Thank you. I was very impatient with my daughter too. My wife stared learning sign language when my daughter was 2 and my wife has spent a lot of time over the years making sure my daughter is taken care of and has access to things. Now I realize I have to sort of make up for that to both of them.

Hello, I wanted to share what I read of your posting. I am hard of hearing ... severely hearing loss. While I could understand why you felt that way, yet I could almost feel your daughter's pain while growing up. It is normal to feel "lost" on what to do when you found out the deafness in your child. That is because you never thought you would ever come across in dealing with it. Since that happens in your family life, believe me, it is not always easy for a lone hard of hearing to deal with entire hearing family members and constantly being left out. However, I am glad you make effort to accept and learn of your daughter's needs. I hope ALL of your family members use sign language to communicate ..... every day, every moment, and every where. You will see, your daughter will grow into a strong woman with every support she gets from her family.

Hello, I wanted to share what I read of your posting. I am hard of hearing ... severely hearing loss. While I could understand why you felt that way, yet I could almost feel your daughter's pain while growing up. It is normal to feel "lost" on what to do when you found out the deafness in your child. That is because you never thought you would ever come across in dealing with it. Since that happens in your family life, believe me, it is not always easy for a lone hard of hearing to deal with entire hearing family members and constantly being left out. However, I am glad you make effort to accept and learn of your daughter's needs. I hope ALL of your family members use sign language to communicate ..... every day, every moment, and every where. You will see, your daughter will grow into a strong woman with every support she gets from her family.

:gpost:

Paul, that's awesome that she chose on her own to opt for CI. I really do think when it's ambigious that the kid themselves should be the one to have the final say so on whether or not they should get it. And it's also good that she's got connections to the local dhh community. Is she fluent in ASL?
I hated the fact I had a child who had special needs
Believe it or not, it took me almost all of my childhood to help me come to terms with the fact that I was "different" I was teased and pretty much tormented in high school as well as school in general.
It took the failure of a surgery (I'm hoh and born without earcanals) to make me realize that physical "differences" aren't that big of a deal. I can't hear the way a hearing person can, but inside as a person I'm pretty much the same as anyone else. Growing up I loved to read, I loved riding my bike, skiing, cartoons, the New Kids on the Block, etc. I was a very typical 80's-90's kid. The only difference between me and the girl down the block was that I wore hearing aids and read lips and she didn't.
You may want to read something I wrote on Welcome to Holland : KASA - Kids As Self Advocates

Paul, that's awesome that she chose on her own to opt for CI. I really do think when it's ambigious that the kid themselves should be the one to have the final say so on whether or not they should get it. And it's also good that she's got connections to the local dhh community. Is she fluent in ASL?
Believe it or not, it took me almost all of my childhood to help me come to terms with the fact that I was "different" I was teased and pretty much tormented in high school as well as school in general.
It took the failure of a surgery (I'm hoh and born without earcanals) to make me realize that physical "differences" aren't that big of a deal. I can't hear the way a hearing person can, but inside as a person I'm pretty much the same as anyone else. Growing up I loved to read, I loved riding my bike, skiing, cartoons, the New Kids on the Block, etc. I was a very typical 80's-90's kid. The only difference between me and the girl down the block was that I wore hearing aids and read lips and she didn't.
You may want to read something I wrote on Welcome to Holland : KASA - Kids As Self Advocates

I agree I was happy that she opted on her own. She is pretty fluent in ASL her and my wife learned when she was really little.

Welcome to AllDeaf! :D

Paul, That would be a good idea , It must be stressful on her knowing her father doesn't want have nothing to do with her. hope she sees the light. I'm 22 and believe me I have been there and done that . got to let it go out one ear and out the other forget about the past because you can't change the years back. try to look at new day and spend time with her.

Good Luck.

Back